improving connections with "silclear" silver conductive paste

Guest " "

So I ran into a fellow that was charging an outragous price for a used tube amp. He justified the price by saying he took the amp apart and in addition to all the usual restoration work....coated all the mechanical surfaces with "silclear".

Silclear is a paste that has silver particles and is supposed to do magic to connections.

Using an ohm meter, the stuff did not seem to conduct electricity.....resistance was infinite...instead of being a dead short.

I put some on the battery terminals of my car and it prevented the battery from charging and eventually prevented the car from starting.

So needless to say....the stuff is not going on any of my audio gear connections, much less the internals.

So is anyone an advocate of "silclear", would be interested in hearing "Pro" comments.

Maybe I didn't apply it correctly.

Guest David H

Siliclear is a nonconductive cleaner / lubricant. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the product. It may offer some cleaning and lubrcation properties, but I think I will stick with the tried and true Caig Deox-it.

Putting this product on top of your battery cable probably didn't cause the starting issue, but it is certainly not going to better the lead to lead connection.

"Could be that your battery's gases cooked the stuff. How did you test resistance?"

multi meter set for ohms...stick the probes in...if it's conductive...it sohould read a low number

You might be able to use it to polish your bowling ball.

I was thinking of something like that...but I don't have any silver pieces on my motorcycle....my luck...it would attract lightning

I was thinking about a resistance test along the lines of mechanical connections without vs with. Not a conductivity test of the paste alone.

Interesting: Not one scientific test found to verify anything about the stuff. Reminds me of a speaker horn without any technical data. Does anybody really know what it will do.

I tried putting this stuff on some paper and measuring the resistance and it looks like it's not a conductor.

The website says this stuff is great for electrical outlets and everything...

It does look like the anti-seize we used with aluminum boat trailer assembly. They use Stainless Steel bolts with self-locking nuts. If you didn't load some anti-seize on say a 3/4" bolt/nut, and you had to take it back off, you were SOL...... Break out the die grinder with a cutting disc......

I am not specifically familiar with the Silclear product, but years ago I used a similar product in an industrial application. It would not conduct when ohmmeter leads were put into the product but would when pressure was applied such as when screws were tightened onto terminal lugs. If it actually contains silver it should make a superior heat sink grease also.

When installed an air bag "clock" spring in a Ford product they used to give you a small container of paste that you put on the terminals. Can't remember the name but that's what I'd put on a wire that is not making postive contact. I've got some in my toolbox and use it occasionaly.