Subwoofer for Klipsch La Scalas

jhughesa

<> Hey Crew:

<>I have Klipsch La

Scala speakers and I'mtrying to decide between Sunfire True Mark II,

and Zu Mini Method subwoofers. Both of these are on the used market

here in Canada for $700 - 800. Can anyone comment on either of these?

I have a vintage Marantz receiver (2285b), but plan to graduate into

tube gear one day.

<>(A fellow near me is selling a REL Studio III for $3500 Can - now that's a steal!)

<>Thanks,

<>Janet

It really does depend on what kind of affect you are looking for. The problem with the accurate, deep and flat low frequency response of the classic Khorns is that they do NOT have enough mid-bass punch for movies and some forms of music. They are wonderful for orchestral music, where the low booms of the tympani contrast to the sweet sounds of the piccolo and triangles. But today’s techno and action movies require theater-like whallops of bass.

In the excellent article, “Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree, “ December, 2001, by Brian Weatherhead, he compares not only the leading Velodyne grand-daddy sub-woofer, but also the Internet-only SVS tubes and the punchy Klipsch KSW and RSW series. The article not only shows their frequency response curves, it also reduces their price to output ratio to something he calls a “shake value.” Very interesting stuff:

1. If you want the mid-bass punch for movies and drums, then according to the wonderful comparisons and charts provided by Weatherford, the powerful Klipsch RSW series would be the best choice. It gives more output in the 83 to 121Hz mid-bass range than any of the other subs compared. It also has the second most output, next to the SVS tubes, in the low 24 to 34Hz area.

2. If you seek the tonal accuracy and mid-range balance that comes from a truly flat frequency response, then the only commercially available sub-woofer that can fill out the big ole Khorn bottom-end is the SVS tubes and the Epik monsters. They are the only subs which go deep enough to make a difference in the low-end bass response. It clearly has the most output in the very deep 13 1/2 to 45 3/4Hz range.

3. By the way, the author bought both the SVS and the Klipsch RSW sub-woofer.

Only for music???? I just added a Klipsch RSW-12 to my "music only" Belle system (very similar to the Lascala) and I'm extremely pleased with the results. I'm using a Scott 299 tube integrated amp that has a center-out RCA connection, perfect for a powered sub. I wasn't sure it would integrate well but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure one of those other beasts you've been considering would work well also but I'm not sure you need a humongous sub for music only and you can find a used RSW-12 for about $500. Just a thought.

Good luck.

I have three LaScalas and a RT-12d. I too think they're perfect for each other and am quite happy with the sound. I know in another thread here, it was argued they don't go as low as Brand X. Maybe they're right, but I'll never know it, as I have zero pipe organ CD's to verify... I do know it'll shake the crap out of the house....in a controlled manner of course..........