(yet yet another) CornScala plans

mburgess

Hi all,

I am planning on doing a set of CornScalas and thought I would post the plans I came up with for review. Also, if they are of use to anyone, feel free to use them.

I am going to construct them so the bass bin is separate from the mid/high end and I want the top part at ear level. I am using an apt-150 for tweeters and I will be making 1" tractrix horns (fs=300) mated to k-55s.

bass_bin.png

Matt

Your measurements have the internal volume at 10687.5 sq in or 6.18 cu ft.

Your internal depth is 18" and interanal height is 25 inches. That would be a new type config vs what most have done here.

One thing to note is that if you put any bracing or any extra material inside that bass bin...besides the woofer....you might not have the volume "like" what is in a cornwall.

jc

I've noticed that the specifications for woofer internal volume can be very wide. Like at the Eminence website. Im using the Kappa Pro 15a 8 ohm woofers and my volume is approx 6 cu ft and it sounds real good. But according to Eminence anything from 1.9 to 6.5 is good. I thought that was interesting.

http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=KAPPAPRO-15A&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=1

Your measurements have the internal volume at 10687.5 sq in or 6.18 cu ft.

Your internal depth is 18" and interanal height is 25 inches. That would be a new type config vs what most have done here.

One thing to note is that if you put any bracing or any extra material inside that bass bin...besides the woofer....you might not have the volume "like" what is in a cornwall.

jc

Thanks for the input and good point about the bracing - I may bump the depth out to 19". These are still somewhat preliminary, and the point was to play around with ideas I had.

Matt

I've noticed that the specifications for woofer internal volume can be very wide. Like at the Eminence website. Im using the Kappa Pro 15a 8 ohm woofers and my volume is approx 6 cu ft and it sounds real good. But according to Eminence anything from 1.9 to 6.5 is good. I thought that was interesting.

http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=KAPPAPRO-15A&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=1

Very interesting. I found the "Download PDF Cabinet Design" link to be of particular interest. The graphs for each of the 3 box sizes show somewhat different characteristics.

Matt

My recs would be to definately keep the width as you have it and do whatever you want with the other dimensions.

My Cornscala bass bin was.....

interenal H x W x D 21.5 x 23.75 x 22.375 = 11425.23438 cubic inches

11425.23438 - 10641.51650144 = 783.71787856 cubic inches.

So it was 11425 cu in before my bracing. Bracing displacement volume was 784 cu in. The end volume was similar to what you have now with no bracing. The cabinet was very rigid and sounded great.

Are you considering other woofers besides a Crites or K33??

jc

My recs would be to definately keep the width as you have it and do whatever you want with the other dimensions.

My Cornscala bass bin was.....

interenal H x W x D 21.5 x 23.75 x 22.375 = 11425.23438 cubic inches

11425.23438 - 10641.51650144 = 783.71787856 cubic inches.

So it was 11425 cu in before my bracing. Bracing displacement volume was 784 cu in. The end volume was similar to what you have now with no bracing. The cabinet was very rigid and sounded great.

Are you considering other woofers besides a Crites or K33??

jc

I have not acquired the woofers I am going to use yet. My thought at the moment is the crites cast frame woofer, but I am certainly open to suggestions, especially where money might be saved ;-)

Matt

I cannot seem to find that thread but there was a comparison between maybe 4 different woofers with freq. response plots too. One of the woofers was expensive in comparison to the others. A brand I hadn't seen before. Maybe I'll think of a few key words in the thread.

I found this where "D-Man" had the K33 and the 15C in a pair of speakers. They may be the same woofer for all I know.

"My buddy who built these is a bass player, and he was suitably impressed enough that he went back home and immediately started building himself a pair. We tried one cab with the Eminence Kappa 15C (4 Ohm) which I had sitting around and only one cabinet totally kicked tail. 30 watts was flabbergasting. These not only blow out matches, they blow the extinguished matchstick out of your hand! Real pant-flappers. I was amazed at how much air these can move. He also couln't believe how loud they were at 1/3 watt."

There's a direct relationship to the vent size (exit area, lenth of the shelf, and distance from the end of the shelf to the rear wall) and the cab volume.

If you deviate from standard volumes...then you will need to re-compute these variables....otherwise....the tuned frequency of the vent will change and it won't reinforce the lower end of the woofers performance range.

There's a direct relationship to the vent size (exit area, lenth of the shelf, and distance from the end of the shelf to the rear wall) and the cab volume.

If you deviate from standard volumes...then you will need to re-compute these variables....otherwise....the tuned frequency of the vent will change and it won't reinforce the lower end of the woofers performance range.

Thanks, speakerfritz,

Do you happen to know of any good, free, calculators out there? I would like to keep the dimensions approx. as they are, and hopefully the ports can be adjusted to match.

Matt

They aren't the same

Interesting. Whats the difference?

You don't expect me to remember that far back do you? I just vaguely remember the thread, but they weren't the same speaker by a long shot. ...

I'll see if I can find the info.

DMAN was, how shall I say iy... a little controversial

Bruce

What is the relationship? I have noticed in someone's pictures (can't remember who) that the shelf length was approximately half the distance of the cabinet depth. Also I think that I recall B Crites bass bin as being 24x24x24 with the port shelf being 4" high but I could be wrong. I thought that I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Crossman

I downloaded WinISD pro (had to use wine - I'm a Linux guy ;-) ) and interestingly it doesn't mention speaker depth at all. I would appreciate it if someone could explain the relationship. I would like to, if at all possible, keep the dimensions I have roughly the same and adjust the port dimensions to fit.

Matt

The cornwall uses a vent port, that is square, known as a slot type, and has a specifc lenth into the cabinet.

Here is a calculator to drill one's mind thru the thinking process.

since you know your volume you would use "Calculate Your Vent Length " which would provide data based on the targeted tuning frequency

You need to select square port, vented, slot, and note the spot for the vent lenth.

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

Thanks guys. I think after digesting all of the great info posted, I think I will stick to the tried-and-true 24x24x24 internal dimension for the bass bin - it's not too different from what I had and bunches of people have had success with it. Why mess with a good thing, right? The port shelf I have seen for that configuration is 9" from the back of the motorboard with 50 sq. in. of port space. Does that sound right?

Matt