Marantz SR6003 for HT and 2 Channel

willland

I am seriously considering selling my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver and buying the Marantz SR6003. Anyone have any experience with this receiver or previous generation 6000 series receivers? I really like the Onkyo and am very familiar with it's GUI but want a change. I understand that Marantz's preamp section in their receivers is top notch. I will still be using my B&K amp to power my front three channels. Now that I am using Forte's for my main 2 channel listening, I would like a warmer sounding receiver to tame the hi-highs. Any thoughts?

Bill

Ht receiver- I went throught the same process. My HT receiver choices came down to the flagship Sony or Marantz. bought the Sony due to a 1/2 price tweeter closing deal. Works and sounds great as pre out- very happy with what I have vs what I paid. But- If all things were equal pricewise- no special deals on either one- I would definitely buy the Marantz over any other HT receiver on the market. A good friend is running a 6000 series. Nice receiver.

IMHO- 2 channel through any HT receiver that I have heard simply is not good enough . Even with a variety of different brands/models of HT receivers auditioned- through a variety of outboard amps- including my B&K 4420 which I love-nothing sounded right to me. I don't think you can do both with one receiver.My standards may be too high for some but I know exactly what you are saying about the 2 channel deal. Changing receivers will not fix it.

Option 1- find yourself a used SS Mcintosh preamp/amp combo for not a lot of cash-1200-1600 for both if you look around- perfectly good 2 channel sound- 10 times better than receiver 2 ch.

Option 2- Start looking around for some tubes- there are some killer deals on the garage from time to time.This one will require some patience. Prices are all over the map.

If you can only do one thing moneywise- keep the Onkyo-buy a separate amp/preamp for 2 ch. you will have to find a way to switch wires back and forth on your fronts or buy a Niles switching unit(cheap).

If you can only do one thing moneywise- keep the Onkyo-buy a separate amp/preamp for 2 ch. you will have to find a way to switch wires back and forth on your fronts or buy a Niles switching unit(cheap).

winchester21,

Thanks for your imput. Ideally I would like to have a seperate 2 channel setup. My main problem is shelf room in my tv stand. I really don't want to add an audio stand to accomodate more components. The family room is getting a little overcrowded as it is with KG4's,Forte's and RF-63's flanking the TV. I have an Adcom GTP-450 preamp already on a shelf with no more room to add another seperate amp. An integrated 2 channel amp is possible if I can find the right one for the right price. In conclusion the truth is I want to keep it relatively simple while upping the 2 channel sound quality, hence the Marantz receiver. By the way, Marantz's new line of receivers/amps really look cool, clean with no logos on front.

Thanks,

Bill

Will this work if I want to switch back and forth between the R-63's(HT) and the Forte's(2ch) using the same amp? I found one at a pawn shop for $25.00.

https://www.datavis.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?prrfnbr=474682

Bill

By all means buy the marantz. I would love to have one. But if you are doing it to improve 2 ch playback IMHO you may be disapointed. I just dont think the innards of any HT receivers were designed to play 2 ch the way it needs to sound.

The dealer where I bought my Jolida tube CD player was trying to sell me one of their integrated tube amps. I have heard good things about them for the price. It does not take up much space. I know nothing about integrated tube amps but when you say "warm" that pretty much = tubes.

I share your misery with the rack space issue. I have 12 components with 3 more coming. I am using 2 rows of rolling shelf carts until I figure something out.

Just out of curiousity- what are you doing with the Adcom preamp in your present setup?

Just out of curiousity- what are you doing with the Adcom preamp in your present setup?

Right now it is taking up space. I bought it when I bought my B&K and had it hooked up to my RF-63's for 2 channel. Then I decided to incorporate the B&K into my HT with the Onkyo as preamp. Truth is 2 channel sounded better with Adcom/B&K combo. One drawback was that the Adcom didn't have pre-out for sub.

Bill

Thats is exactly where I was going with that. Dont much about the Adcom- assuming it is a 2 channel preamp rather than an HT based video/pre- I bet it sounds decent in 2 ch mode with the heritage speakers and the B&K.

I picked up a B&K 4420 for 400 shipped off e-bay as front/ 2ch power source. As I upgraded - I swtiched it off to run the rears- which it does perfectly- something similar would be a perfect solution to your problem for little cash..You already know how good the brand sounds. Just taking up one more space in the rack. Personaly I would be using the heritage stuff for 2 ch over the RF63s which are great HT speakers.

Yep - the sub hookup is a major PIA when trying to use any non HT reveiver hardware- Gotta have a sub for HT.

The Marantz is a great Klipsch match. I don't get into the "Mine's bigger & better" discussions, but I've never heard a receiver that I'd rather have than my Marantz with Klipsch Heratage speakers. I do run tube amps for 2 channel, and those setups are in a different league from my multichannel setup, but the Marantz receiver is an outstandingly fine mate with Klipsch.

SSH

I know this might be redundant, but will this work to switch between my Forte's(2 channel) and RF-63's(HT) while using the same amp? I hate having to reach behind all of my speakers to unhook to one pair and hook to another.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Research-AR1108-8-Position-Selection/dp/B00005I9QH

Bill

I did not intend to turn this into a mine is better than yours thread. For whatever reason-it is my contention that any of the box brand Ht receivers- Sony-Denon-marantz-HK-yamaha- or whoever- do a less than desirable job of presenting 2 channel music. I have heard various explanations of this issue by experts but I do not pretend to know why from a technical standpoint. I can tell you that my friend who bought his 6000 series marantz HT receiver opted to keep his 2 channel separates after listening to the 2 channel playback on the marantz.The number of people on this forum with 2 channel systems separate from the HT stuff would certainly support this theory.Marantz is my pick of all of the HT receivers but I don't believe that it will be that much different from the existing receiver for what he is trying to do- HT- Absolutely yes- 2 ch No- particulary in view of the fact that an outboard amp is already in use. Personal taste plays a big part in this discussion. Heritage speaker sound pretty good through any decent equpiment- I just happen to think that they deserve better for 2 ch playback

The niles that I was talking about is used for switching power sources between different amps using the same set of speakers. Switching different speakers between the same amp- I am not sure but there is most likely an easy way to do it depending on the back of your amp

I switch speaker wires everytime I go from HT to 2 ch- I use the "macintosh banana connectors' found on e-bay for my old screw terminal K horns. PIA but the results are worth it.

I have a Marantz sr7002. All I can say is that it brought my system to life like never before. I've driven Klipsch with Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon and NAD. Only the NAD came close to the sound the Marantz creates. When I finally decide to upgrade again it will be to Marantz separates.

FWIW, I demo'd a number of receivers during this last round of upgrading and the most musical of all of them was the Marantz. IMO, of course.

The niles that I was talking about is used for switching power sources between different amps using the same set of speakers. Switching different speakers between the same amp- I am not sure but there is most likely an easy way to do it depending on the back of your amp

I switch speaker wires everytime I go from HT to 2 ch- I use the "macintosh banana connectors' found on e-bay for my old screw terminal K horns. PIA but the results are worth it.

I know we are off topic of the thread I started but I bought an Acoustic Research AR1108 speaker selector. Man this is exactly what I have been looking for. I now can select between 8 different pairs of main speakers using the same amp/receiver even though I have only 3 pairs of mains(KG4"s,Forte's,RF-63's). The 63's will be switched on for HT and 2 channel, and the KG4's and Forte's will be switched on only for 2 channel. This way I can choose which speakers to play with which genre of music with the touch of a button. Most of my problems are solved with this $25.00($125.00 to $225.00 retail) purchase. I bought it at a pawn shop and it looks like it has never been used. It handles up to 300w RMS and has a 2 way protection circuit for the speakers and amp.

Now I really don't have any more room for a pre-amp/amp for 2 channel in my stand. Now to find a deal on the Marantz 6003 and sell my Adcom GTP-450 and Onkyo 705.

Again thanks to winchester21 for your feedback and all others that replied.

Bill

winchester,

I was referring to my comment about the Marantz as opposed to the Onkyo; I saw only good intentions in your post. I also understand about the need to rig a receiver for optimum 2 ch, as they are designed for multi. Most incorporate a sub.

SSH

I just got my SR 6003 and am VERY happy with it. To me, it sounded better than the 2809 and VSX01 for HT and 2 channel. It is much better than my old NAD, and when my wife says it is a noticeable difference, that says a lot. I bought mine from 6aveelectronics for $749 shipped by finding a coupon code on line. Needless to say, money well spent!![:D]

Dan

Good going Dan. With Marantz reputation, it surprises me that it isn't mentioned more in this forum. That sounds like a good price. When the time comes I hope I can get at least $350.00 for my Onkyo and sell a couple of other items to be able to buy the Marantz. I told my wife I would sell in order to buy. Too bad you can't find the Marantz in most brick and mortar stores. I would love to listen before I purchase. On the other hand, that might cheapen the name. Will you be running it with an outboard amp? If so let us know how it sounds.

Bill

Dan,

One question. With this receiver, are you able to set the crossovers individually for each speaker? Example: Fronts---60Hz, Center---70Hz, Surrounds---100Hz. This is the way I have my Onkyo set with the LFE set at 80Hz. I read in a review from Secrets that you can't set them individually. Clear this up for us please.

Bill

Bill, no you can't set the individual crossovers. There is only a default crossover. Now you must understand I am a Noob to this, or more specifically, that if it sounds good, I will just leave well enough alone. All you can do is run auto setup and control different db levels.

Sorry I can't give you more info that most people on this board could, but I hope this helps.

Dan