I'll confess! I think I find my Klipsch speakers a bit too bright for music

Kain

"I think I find them a little too bright and harsh for music"

Garbage in, garbage out.

Cheap electronics and poorly recorded program material will kill your ears every time.

This is why they make tone controls, and a DBX 3BX expander helps a lot with nasty program material.

Yep.:)

The resistor mod is nice trick, but it doesn't compare to what you get when you put the Kimbers or Auricaps in series with the horn -- and though it's not a very popular idea around here, I can assure you that the quality/type of resistors add to mix too. I initially did my own with cheap wirewounds, and after having Mills show up on my radar screen I decided to try them. I thought I had lost my mind even considering the use of a $3.50 resistor, but now I won't use anything else unless I can't source the needed values. I spent a few weeks playing around with different types of resistors in my own RF-7 networks, and only the Mills removed that last bit of fingernails across the chalkboard quality.

I'm not one that holds to the idea that you can fix a specific problem by using a solution that doesn't address the real problem. The level of quality of the caps and resistors in a crossover directly relate to the level of cleanliness of the signal path, and are big contributors to what one actually ends up hearing coming out the drivers. The crossover is the inferface between the drivers and the amplifier -- about the worst place to go on the cheap as far as I'm concerned. So, tone controls, EQ, room treatments -- won't remove the low level grit/grain/hash, nor will they give a speaker that more open, relaxed and effortless quality. Any improvement in the chain (and room) brings something to the table -- and one thing can't do what the other can.

Dennis of course is right with the garbage in garbage out thing -- most modern CD recordings are terrible, I don't even waste my money on them anymore. Still, a nice network at least makes them tolerable.:)

Dean, when I was originally wanting to have my crossovers redone, I was re-doing my HT and strapped for cash. When I had the cash, you had stopped doing upgrades, so................. I started building a little 2 channel setup with your old D-45 and some H3 drivers in cabinets that GLA51 refinished for me. I'm not done with that system yet so spare moola goes there. Hopefully the next time I've got some spare change you'll still be reworking crossovers.[Y]

The resistor mod is not as nice as what you do, but it did take the harshness off, like the OP was looking for.

Before getting rid of a pair of some of the best Klipsch speakers ever made, there are things you can do to make them sound better. As others have said, upgraded networks will make a huge difference. Getting an external amplifier that can handle the low impedence requirements of the RF-7s will probably help too. Room treatments are another area to look into.

I just watched a movie on my setup and loved how it sounded. Maybe the harshness/brightness that I encountered with that certain song that I listened to could be due to poor recording. I mean I listened to Michael Jackson's song Dirty Diana on CD and it sounded great even at higher volumes.

Your biggest problem is that you are using just an average DVD player for CD playback and that will definately make things harsh and edgy especially with high efficiency detailed speakers. Get a GOOD dedicated CD player just to try and I can assure you it will make a difference. With newer CD's being recorded at really high (into the red) distorted levels does not help either.

Don't blame the speakers, they only play what is being fed them and with an average receiver what kind of stellar performance were you expecting?

Your biggest problem is that you are using just an average DVD player for CD playback and that will definately make things harsh and edgy especially with high efficiency detailed speakers. Get a GOOD dedicated CD player just to try and I can assure you it will make a difference. With newer CD's being recorded at really high (into the red) distorted levels does not help either.

Don't blame the speakers, they only play what is being fed them and with an average receiver what kind of stellar performance were you expecting?

Actually, my A/V receiver has a spectacular amplifier section and is actually underrated as per its watts per channel rating. The Harman Kardon AVR 8500 (or AVR 8000 in the US) was a statement piece made by Harman Kardon that rivals separate amplifier quality sound. You should read a bit about it to know its true capabilities.

However, I can agree with you that a dedicated CD player might improve sound quality and that recent CD recordings are recorded too loud and include distortion.