I'll confess! I think I find my Klipsch speakers a bit too bright for music

Kain

Concerts and Movies and only on a (very small) handful of stuff does it sound bright

I didn't particularly think they were bright either. I had Dean do mine immediately for the improved clarity; i'm a midrange guy. Suppose that's why I have heritage now.

I have also found the right ingredients to feed my RF-7's. Detail and clarity without earbleed at 100db+ volumes. I would still like to get Dean's upgrade though......hoping that it can help with the heavy stuff.

I've owned my 7's for a few years now.....so I could just be used to them. [*-)] "Someone answer that damn phone". [:o]

By the way, I should also point out that at lower volumes, the sound is fine for music. It's at the higher volumes where the harshness and brightness becomes an issue.

your exactly right. While the horns are very clear for home theater , at higher volumes they get really harsh with music. Thats why I ended up going with the CF 2 Epics. The louder these speakers get the better they sound. Smooth, never bright..With incredible bass. I can push my denon to the limit and these epics absorb the juice without any strain wat so ever, no harshness at all. The KLF 20's I had sounded incredible but when I wanted to crank them up it wasnt comfortable sitting in front of them. A little too directional..like sound lazerbeams.

your exactly right. While the horns are very clear for home theater , at higher volumes they get really harsh with music. ... The KLF 20's I had sounded incredible but when I wanted to crank them up it wasnt comfortable sitting in front of them. .

I own both the RF-7s and KLF-20s and am curious what you consider "higher volume?" Fwiw, I did notice mine were bright when I drove them with a lower-end AVR, in a large room, at SPLs that I was accustomed (i.e., 85 dB or so) but don't feel that way with my current AVRs. Did you think your KLF-20s sounded bright with your Denon?

your exactly right. While the horns are very clear for home theater , at higher volumes they get really harsh with music. ... The KLF 20's I had sounded incredible but when I wanted to crank them up it wasnt comfortable sitting in front of them. .

I own both the RF-7s and KLF-20s and am curious what you consider "higher volume?" Fwiw, I did notice mine were bright when I drove them with a lower-end AVR, in a large room, at SPLs that I was accustomed (i.e., 85 dB or so) but don't feel that way with my current AVRs. Did you think your KLF-20s sounded bright with your Denon?

I Had my Denon 3805 matched with the KLF's. I have to say they were one of the best sounding speakers I ever had. Although at high levels the horns sound bright to me. Also I noticed if i heard them at high levels for a period of time it wasnt satisfiying, but unpleasant. At normal levels they sound fantastic

I Had my Denon 3805 matched with the KLF's. I have to say they were one of the best sounding speakers I ever had. Although at high levels the horns sound bright to me. Also I noticed if i heard them at high levels for a period of time it wasnt satisfiying, but unpleasant. At normal levels they sound fantastic

I really think what you are describing is that your Denon AVR 3805 delivered enough current to drive your KLF 20s at what you considered "normal" but didn't have enough power to drive them at a higher volume. Fwiw, that is why people purchase Separate amplification to provide more current to drive these speakers more efficiently at higher volumes, without them becoming shrill or bright.

Fwiw, I drive my KLF-20 HT in a 1800 sq ft room with a Denon AVR 3803 at around 80 dB, but the peaks aren't as dramatic as in my smaller HT nor do I play it as loud as my HT listed below. Btw, do you own a Sound Level Meter so you can tell what the actual SPL is at your LP?

tdkamerica,

Im sure your right, its probably lack of power once I go over the receivers sweet spot. I used to feel fatigued after listening to them too loud. I dont have a sound meter I was told they sell them cheap at radio shack. I just never bought one

I know Klipsch always advertises there speakers can run on almost any amplifier. But the facts are most of the big beasty floor speakers need lots of juice to sound good

Dont get me wrong..im a klipsch fan for life

Dan,

there isn't a link per say, but you can ask DeanG for advice or help, it's his mod. the resistors you use are Mills and they are at Partsexpress.com. dean adds an extra 10olm resister but i am unsure at which physical location it goes.

just noticed your speakers, i don't know if adding the resistor will do what you want it to. it's a totally different crossover. you can however get the diagram from klipsch (support) and replace the tweeter caps. if you are set on doing the mod, thats what i would only suggest doing.

good luck with the mod.

btw if you want just a bit better result, get some silver solder (4%) and redo all the solder points with that. dean also does that when he does the mod.