PINCHED NERVE RELIEF

BigStewMan

I have two herniated discs in my neck. Not sure if getting ran over by that truck in january made it worse, but it seems that one of the discs have slipped more and is now pinching a nerve. the pain in my right shoulder and arm (goes all the way to the hand) is unbearable. i've been taking the left over vicodin from my broken ribs and that does help; but, when the medication wears off the pain comes back stronger than ever.

any of you ever have a pinched nerve? does it "unpinch" on it's own? how long does this take to resolve? called my doctor and she called in a prescription for Gabapentin to the pharmacy. she said it was for nerve pain; but, i'm afraid to take it. i have sleep apnea and the pharmacist told me that this medicine could be a problem as it will put me in stage 4 sleep and makes it harder to wake up. not a good thing if i stop breathing--i kinda want my body to wake itself up and not be so doped up that i wake up dead.

anyone gone through anything similar?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend just suggested acupuncture too. i will try anything at this point--i'd even listen to disco music if that would help (those that know me know that this is an extreme measure). yes, i've had both MRI and CT Scan. The herniation isn't new; but, was not pinching a nerve before now.

If the discs are "officially" herniated, I doubt they will unherniate on their own without surgery.You probably need to seek medical treatment, which might include your primary physician then a physical therapist, maybe a consult with an orthopedic surgeon as well. .The gabapentin only addresses the nerve's action (producing pain), and to my limited knowledge, will not cure the cause at all. I am sure it is not unheard of that such pain/damage can heal to some degree over time, but it might be a very painful "over time." I have occasional pinching and temporary numbness, but not to a critical level yet.

Had the same problem...I got flown to walter reed and they wanted to fuse my back...at the time I was not able to walk unassisted for 6 months.

Anyway, I found out that the success rate for back fusions for folks that are 6' 1" and weight 260lbs was pretty low, so I declined the operation.

I began wearing a back brace called a lumbar support (has metal bars in it), my spine eventually re-aligned and re-gaped the disc's.

After about 3 moths with the lumbar, was able to walk normally.

Switched to a normally home depot type back support when ever I do work.

1 year later, able to run 2 miles...no pain....all is well...still use the home depot type back brace today.

I had a similar issue last week. And I have a severely compressed disk in my lumbar spine as well. Here is what I do. If the problem is in my upper back and my muscles can be kept out of spasm I see my Chiropractor. I had to see him twice last week. I had pain as you describe and could not really use my right arm to do much other than pickup a toothbrush. I was on Flexeril and Vicodin for about three days before I could get the spasms under control. I had to take two days off from work. Once the spasms were manageable I saw my Chiropractor for an adjustment which took some pressure off the nerve. Then two days later I went in again and had another “adjustment” that has made major progress for me. I still may go back one more time as the base of my neck is still under a little pressure.

If I have pain is in my lower back and it is derived from the area where I have the compressed disc, a Chiropractor visit is useless and I have to do the industrial strength muscle relaxer and pain med thing until the herniation “heals” over and then I can be mobile and active again. I have tried to get my lower back issue corrected but even though I am debilitated by this, the pain stays in my back and they will not correct it surgically until they pain in my legs gets worse than my back. My understanding is because the pain in the back is too nerve indiscriminate and when the pains runs down you leg they can isolate the affected nerve much better. I’ve seen a number of diffirent Neurologists and Orthopedics and they all sing the same tune about my disc issue.

When things are good (which is most of the time) I can exercise and be very active as normal but when they go bad I am OOC until.....

I have a perm back injury that flairs up every now and then. I have had it since 1979 and I am in a pain cycle right now. I go to a chryopractor (sp) and after several weeks, we usually reach some kind of truce with my back. The only thing that helps me is Vicoden and yes I have some inside me at the moment!

Stew, I've been in physical therapy for just over a year for the two herniations in my neck (along with some other injuries), and have just started to see some improvement in the past couple of months. For me, it was a matter of finding a physical therapist who was not too forceful (not a fan of Chiropractors), but knew how to treat my problem (which was very reactive and could flare up quickly, as many above have noted). Flexiril and Aleve (take two for prescription strength) helped a little, but nothing feels better than having a therapist you trust work out the kinks and make adjustments. I'd ask your doctor for an Rx for physical therapy and ask him/her for a recommendation of a good therapist or facility. Good luck!

Whatever is causing the problem needs to be diagnosed. For that you will need a cervical MRI scan, perhaps other studies too. Once clearly understood then you can listen to the various options. They can do injections of steroids into the spinal column and they can inject right at the nerve root itself. But, if they cannot be decompressed by manipulation (Chiropractors or physical therapy) the nerve root will remain pinched and will continue to hurt. Then a surgical option maybe the only choice.

I have had the surgery. And I have experienced the pain of not having the surgery. Ratty deal they both are. The surgery offers the prospect of an end point. They are done by neurosurgeons and by orthopedics surgeons. Find one with a lot of experience doing the procedure.

I recommend you read one of these books:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pain-Free-A-Revolutionary-Method-for-Stopping-C_W0QQitemZ400037935340QQcmdZViewItemQQ_pidZ615626QQ_mediaitemZ1QQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item400037935340&_trksid=p4295.c0.m312&_trkparms=240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Egoscue-Method-of-Health-Through-Motion-Revolution_W0QQitemZ110362480863QQcmdZViewItemQQ_pidZ24646QQ_mediaitemZ1QQptZUS_Texbook_Education?hash=item110362480863&_trksid=p4295.c0.m312&_trkparms=240%3A1318

Over the years I have purchased several dozen of the original book and given them to people that needed it. After three weeks I ask to have the book back. The people that didn't read it give it back. The people that take the time to read it refuse to give it back, and haul out their cash right there on the spot.

The newer one (Pain Free) is more advanced, but the original (The Egoscue Method) is easier to read.

BigStew,

Sorry to here about the nerves. I had incredibly bad nerve pain 3 years ago and it is the most intense and aweful pain imaginable. In my case I had 2 issues going on, compressed disks in my neck were responsible for one nerve and I also found out I had a very rare immune system disease that was destroying alot of my nerves, along with other fun stuff! For the compressed disks I had good sucess with physical therapy once they were treating the neck and not the shoulder where the pain was showing up. For the other disease I am on an agressive treatment to keep it in check, there is no cure. For about a year I was taking Gabapentin. I will say that it does wonders for the pain. My nerves were so bad that the vicodins weren't doing anything, the only relief I could get was a few hours if I was shot up with dopamine. The Gabapentin does control the nerve pain quite well but I think it was scrambling my brain at the same time! If you do take it make sure you ramp up the dose slowly and also come off the drug in increments.

Good luck! I truly do understand the pain you are in. I never realized how bad nerve pain was until I had it.

Wow... It sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice from the Klipsch community. Thanks everyone for your help!

I have had on and off back pain for 30 years. They wanted to fuse my spine 25 years ago for disc herniation but I was adviced that once I went under the knife I would never be the same. Each case is different and complicated. I had many opinions from many high paid physicians. The one thing that stuck out in my mind was this. You may not have any choice but fusion to remove the bulge in the disc that is pressing against the nerve but you must realize that once you remove that disc your flexibility is limited to the disc around that fusion. What tends to happen is that the joints around that fusion become overworked. Physical theropy got me out of the initial pain I was in. At least enough to be tolerable. But you must teach yourself to take care of your body.

It wasn't until recently started excercising regularly that I realized that I could be pain free in my lower back. I started off with Yoga which allows you to center your mind, body and soul. Some will dismiss it but self help is free and priceless. Once I started to get in touch with my issues of MB&S I could learn to repair the areas in need. For instance, I could never stand on a hard surface for more than a miute without pain in the compression of the spine. What I was lacking was core stregnth. (stumach - back muscles in general) The muscles protect the joint. I had trained my body to eliminate those muscles altogether by supporting my weight on crutches such as elbows propping up the lower back instead of using the core muscles.

Now that I execise almost every day I can say that I am generally pain free. Now it is a question of how far I can take my body to the next level of improvement. (lower my fat percentage, lower my cholesterol, improve my stomach) Each drug you take (prescribed) is a foreign element to your body. So your stomach has to digest it. This leads to ulcers. Your kidneys and liver need to dissolve it. This can lead to cancer and a host of other complications. There is a cause and effect to everything we do. Get out regularly to excercise your body and mind if you can. This will keep your joints loose and happy and your mind free of ailments.

The doctor can only do so much. It starts with your attitude, changing habits and setting goals. Take medicines as a last resort. If you want to loose weight you have to be motivated enough to be honest with yourself. Calories in calories out...Don't eat those cookies at night. Walk a mile that night. Log your foods that you eat everyday and take a look at where you need to improve. What ever is right for your needs. If you need to lower your chloresterol. Quite smoking. Smoking makes your blood sticky. Go somewhere different for a week with no TV, no general habit and patterns you normally have. Tell others of your goals so they can remind you. Make a statement and stic to it. Make new habits for a new you! It takes 30 days to create a new habit.

That's just my 2 cents worth...if it helps use it.

In my case, 3 years ago I had intermittent severe neck pain and also severe right elbow pain with numbing fingers. The elbow pain felt like whacking your funny bone and would last for hours.

I tried all the usual things to no avail. I had been steadily on vicodin for sveral months and wanted to stop them. When the symtoms started to get worse, I got a CT scan and an MRI and went to see a neurosurgeon. I had 3 herniated discs, C5,C6 & C7 I believe, and also part of the vertebrea around them was pressing on a nerve root.

He told me that if I didn't have the fusion surgery that I likely would end up paralyzed in at least my right arm.
Even though it was a scary procedure, I chose to go ahead and have the surgery, knowing that my neurosurgeon was known as the best "neck guy" around and he had done the procedure many times before with good results.

Besides removing the 3 discs, he had to grind away the section of vertebrae that was pressing on the nerve root.
He then installed 1 large bone graft to replace the discs and held it all together with a titanium plate and screws.

The operation was a complete success and recovery was very fast. I did not even have to wear a neck brace due to the titanium plate.

Today, I have zero neck pain, zero elbow pain and no fingers numbing.
Also, I have at least 95 percent of my neck mobility. Even more than before the surgery since the pain was restricting.

I did end up with one minor side efect symptom though. I lost some of the fine motor skills in my right hand which totally changed my signature and effects my hand writing to a small degree, but no big deal. I'll take that over the pain anyday.

I would not hesitate to recommend this type of surgery if you know you have a good surgeon.
I know of at least 3 other people who have had similar surgeries, all with excellent results.
Although, I did hear about another person who had a similar surgery and in his case his body rejected the bone graft and he ended up with some paralysis.
I believe that is rare though.

Take care

In my case, 3 years ago I had intermittent severe neck pain and also severe right elbow pain with numbing fingers. The elbow pain felt like whacking your funny bone and would last for hours.

I tried all the usual things to no avail. I had been steadily on vicodin for sveral months and wanted to stop them. When the symtoms started to get worse, I got a CT scan and an MRI and went to see a neurosurgeon. I had 3 herniated discs, C5,C6 & C7 I believe, and also part of the vertebrea around them was pressing on a nerve root.

He told me that if I didn't have the fusion surgery that I likely would end up paralyzed in at least my right arm.
Even though it was a scary procedure, I chose to go ahead and have the surgery, knowing that my neurosurgeon was known as the best "neck guy" around and he had done the procedure many times before with good results.

Besides removing the 3 discs, he had to grind away the section of vertebrae that was pressing on the nerve root.
He then installed 1 large bone graft to replace the discs and held it all together with a titanium plate and screws.

The operation was a complete success and recovery was very fast. I did not even have to wear a neck brace due to the titanium plate.

Today, I have zero neck pain, zero elbow pain and no fingers numbing.
Also, I have at least 95 percent of my neck mobility. Even more than before the surgery since the pain was restricting.

I did end up with one minor side efect symptom though. I lost some of the fine motor skills in my right hand which totally changed my signature and effects my hand writing to a small degree, but no big deal. I'll take that over the pain anyday.

I would not hesitate to recommend this type of surgery if you know you have a good surgeon.
I know of at least 3 other people who have had similar surgeries, all with excellent results.
Although, I did hear about another person who had a similar surgery and in his case his body rejected the bone graft and he ended up with some paralysis.
I believe that is rare though.

Take care

Same symptoms, some of the same discs involved as me--i'm c3/c4 and c5/c6. i also have strong elbow pain as well as forearm pain extending to the tip of my fingers.

i have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so i guess that will be an interesting meeting.

thank you all for the advice.

Stew, while MrTech was very fortunate with the outcome of his surgery, others such as my brother have had terrible results from neck surgery. My brother has had two fusions in his neck (done at different times), and I'm sure he'd rather not have had them at all. Fusions put further pressure on the discs below the fused ones, and this can often lead to problems in discs that were previously healthy. My brother did lots of research and found a doctor that pioneered this type of surgery in NYC. The doctors he sought opinions from all suggested the surgery, and he was anxious to relieve the pain. Unfortunately, nothing turned out as it should. He has chronic pain now, and lives on meds and receives all sorts of shots and other pain management. The fusions in his neck are creating a lot of pressure and problems for the discs beneath, to the point that the doctors want to operate again. After my accident and the MRI that revealed my disc problems, his first words were... "You don't want neck surgery". Of course, nobody wants surgery, but he was making a point that there are alternatives that should be pursued to the fullest before undergoing such a surgery. My advice is to see as many doctors as possible (second and third opinions matter), and ask what alternatives are available before taking the plunge. It may turn out, that surgery is a necessity in your case (lets hope not), but every person and situation is different. In the meantime I think Prof. Thump had some great advice. Diet, exercise and attitude matter! Please let us know how things turn out, and try and feel better. [:)]

I've always said that surgery would be a very last resort. the amount of pain that i've been in this past week had caused me to rethink that and at times, i had a "I'll do whatever it takes to get rid of this pain" mindset. The pain is literally off the scale and is relentless--and at times, stronger than the vicodin.

BUT, i will hang tough and seek every possible (logical) solution out there. I neither want surgery nor living on pain killers. i've had minor surgery before and never used pain killers. when i got ran over, i did use them for my four broken ribs; but, this time--I really wanted something to ease the pain.

i'm hoping whatever inflammation is there will subside enough for me to get in physical therapy. right now, my doctor said that with the level of pain that i'm in, i wouldn't be able to do the things that the therapist would want. all i know, it's been over a week and it's getting worse not better.

Count me in as one with a herniated disk. Mine's in my lower back. I quit going to a chriopractor after I bought an inversion table http://www.energycenter.com/ I paid about $150 for mine. Often I will hear a series of pops as my back stretches back out. The inversion table is sort of the poor mans version of one of these http://www.vax-d.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

For muscle tension, or knots in the neck and upper back area, massages work great, but at $30 a trick, they become expensive. I went on ebay and bought a cheap $25 "tens" unit that I zap my neck /shoulder muscles with. It's hard to believe, but for me at least, it unties the knots. after about 20 to 30 minutes.

Yoga is also supposed to be excellent. It looks easy as hell until you try to do it [:$]

Good luck!

Stew, while MrTech was very fortunate with the outcome of his surgery, others such as my brother have had terrible results from neck surgery. My brother has had two fusions in his neck (done at different times), and I'm sure he'd rather not have had them at all. Fusions put further pressure on the discs below the fused ones, and this can often lead to problems in discs that were previously healthy. My brother did lots of research and found a doctor that pioneered this type of surgery in NYC. The doctors he sought opinions from all suggested the surgery, and he was anxious to relieve the pain. Unfortunately, nothing turned out as it should. He has chronic pain now, and lives on meds and receives all sorts of shots and other pain management. The fusions in his neck are creating a lot of pressure and problems for the discs beneath, to the point that the doctors want to operate again. After my accident and the MRI that revealed my disc problems, his first words were... "You don't want neck surgery". Of course, nobody wants surgery, but he was making a point that there are alternatives that should be pursued to the fullest before undergoing such a surgery. My advice is to see as many doctors as possible (second and third opinions matter), and ask what alternatives are available before taking the plunge. It may turn out, that surgery is a necessity in your case (lets hope not), but every person and situation is different. In the meantime I think Prof. Thump had some great advice. Diet, exercise and attitude matter! Please let us know how things turn out, and try and feel better. Smile

I guess I need to pipe up on this. I had C4/5/6 fused and plated for a similar problem. Being in healthcare I found the best neurodoc I could. He was Harvard/Harvard. The surgery did not go well. They did the same surgery twice in a 3 day period. Went into surgery in bad pain and came out with more pain and 2 (as in bilateral) paralyzed arms. The L arm recuperated fully. The R one has many deficits and its own brand of lightening for pain. I remain fully disabled.

But, I have very, very bad bones and my problem also involved bone spurs. I have had to have bone spurs removed from my nose, my jaw and my L A/C joint. They think I clipped the nerve root at the C5 level with a huge bone spur. I have two 1st cousins who successfully have had the same surgery without any consequences. The research I did on the procedure gave me the confidence to proceed. In short, as in all of medicine, each case is individual. This is a bear of a surgery done in very tight quarters. They use an anterior approach. Still the pain and spasms I had before the procedure had already disabled me. So, the surgery option was accepted as a calculated risk to end that situation. To a great extent it did end the pain I went in with but replaced it with a newer version.

In summary getting old sux. I am sorry for anyone in this boat. But you are getting a broad range of good input to help you decide how your case will be managed.

Pain medicine did nothing to relieve my herniated disk pain and nerve spasms. Large doses of anti-inflamitory along with physical therapy worked for me. Of course after it cleared up, some idiot (I admit it was me) rode one of the space shot rides that shoot you straight up at 2-3 g's. Luckily that only bothered me for a few days.

Good luck, I've felt your pain.