Tripath amps abound lately

Daddy Dee

Have you done an Ebay search for "tripath" lately? There are many units using the 2024 (familiar Tamp Chip) 2020 chip (somewhat more powerful than the Super T amp) and the 2022 chip (which provides about 60wpc and was used in a Teac receiver) There at least three different manufacturers offering finished amps and gobs of kits.

I've been using a HLLY T-amp 20 for a while and have been pleased with the results. It uses the Tripath 2020 chip and sounds very good. Haven't put it head to head with the Super T amp, but the sound seems the same to my memory. Most of the Ebay units are shipped direct from China, though I purchased mine through p-macaudio.com. There's a few favorable reviews posted various places by folks that have gone to some considerable work to get things written up.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone is building tripath chips again. Tripath, unfortunately, did go under after bankruptcy. Their old domain name turns up nothing. Perhaps these are being produced using old tripath stock which found it's way out on the market through bankruptcy liquidation.

post-11993-13819464345288_thumb.jpg

This is the HLLY T amp-90 which is built with the 2022 chip. The claim is that this chip will produce 90wpc into 4ohms at 1% THD (I think). All of these tripath chips are overstated IMO in what they will honestly produce. The Teac receiver which used this chip was rated, by Teac, at 50 or 60 wpc. I did use this receiver for church A/V for a while and it sounded very good.

I did take a chance on the T amp-90 when I got one cheap on an Ebay auction. Get what you pay for, is correct. I did receive the unit in a few days from China, but it was defective. Sounded good, but would only play for a few minutes at a time and seemed to go into some sort of protect mode. It would play intermittently with no rhyme or reason as to why. I'm shipping it back to China for a full refund, but I will be out shipping for the return trip.

I was talking with Paul Mackenzie, the P-Macaudio guy and he told me that some of the Chinese units sold on Ebay are production seconds or pre production units. He is apparently right about that. I will be ordering a T amp-90 from Paul as I had the T amp-20 ordered from him earlier on.

The T-amp 90 is a larger and much heavier unit. It runs on 110 with an IEC connector. There is no A/C adapter. There is a large torrordial transformer on the chassis which makes this amp surprisingly heavy. The few minutes I did hear it, the sound was very good. It's that same T-amp sound with more power available. Here are a few pics. I'll say more later when I have a chance to do some listening.

post-11993-13819464348428_thumb.jpg

These things get no respect, except from me. Better sound for my ears, which are no respectors of cost, than any SS amp at any price. Whatever aberration makes me hear that way I thank the good Lord for it. Saves me a CHUNK of change and I've never had anyone run from my listening room in horror yet.

Dave

That is an interesting configuration.

One unit I noticed browsing the net had a tube preamp section and T amp power section all in the same case.

There are some T amp tube buffers and other Tripath USB and headphone amps. Lots of stuff out there now.

Looks a bit pricey and he lost me on "break in.' Can't imagine break in on a digital amplifier. You think my spreadsheets will get more accurate after 100 hours?

OTOH, if the output power is as rated and the sound is as good as I've heard from my Panny, it's not a bad price compared to the kilobuck class that don't sound a bit better, and some sound worse.

You pays your dollar and takes your choice, as the long lost Pogo the Possum used to say.

Dave

Yes pricey, they just went from 250 to 269. I paid 209 for the demo which seems OK, easy enough to recoup. My trends was nice, but didn't quite do the trick for me (now doing TV duty), so I hope the virtue is a bit better.

For the curious (I was) who have yet to experience one of these newfangled T-amps, may I recommend the new Dayton DTA-1 Class T Digital Amplifier 15 WPC from Parts Express: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380. For the $39.18 price tag, you can’t go wrong with the simply amazing sound!

If you are less than impressed, give it to a non-audiophile friend; it will probably be the best piece of gear they have ever owned.

Rick