Snapper rear engine riding mower

I don't know about their riding mowers but I've own 2 walk behinds since 1984. The first one I owned for 10 years when the pull cord broke. Drove down the street to the dealer to buy a pull rope and got to looking at the new mowers. Bought a new pull rope and a new walk-behind. I gave the first one to a friend and he used it for years. I still have and use the second mower, this will be the 15th year.

If their riders are as good as their walk behinds they are well worth the investment. And they're built in McDonough, Georgia.

For several years Consumer Reports' user surveys have ranked the Snappers as the least reliable riding mowers. I don't know what the weak areas are, but nearly all other brands have many fewer problems. Note that this data is from owner surveys, not ratings of features by CR testers, and is an indication of the probability of problems.

Coincidentally, an issue of CR came today, with an article on mowers. The top ranked (for reliability across several years and models) are John Deere, Husqvarna, and Craftsman (Sears); least reliable in this list was Troy-Bilt (Snapper was not in the list).

I still have a scar on my left arm from a Snapper RER mower, not the mower's fault, mine. I repaired a friends mower and while test driving it before putting it all back together, I was chasing my brother around the yard (blade not running). Reaching back to override the governer, my hand slipped and my arm rubbed the flywheel removing several layers of skin. Like I said, not the mower's fault. I don't remember what I repaired, but it was several years old and the parts were readilly available at the time (70's). I used the mower several times to mow a couple of acres before returning it, and it worked fine.

I now have a Husqvarna 42" with the 15Hp Kawasaki twin and love it.

Snapper and Toro are popular in my circle, can't say any have complaints.

Colter...you should be able to mount some Klipsch on that behemoth. Get to it.

I have about 8000 sq ft to cut, minus my modest home, workshop and whatever concrete is out there in driveway or sidewalk form. I use my Scott's Reel Mower :) I can jam out tunes in my workshop and get a bit of exercise.

LUXURY! When I was a kid, my Dad would wake us up at 4:00 a.m. a half-hour before we even went to bed, he'd feed us a lump of dry poison, and make us mow the entire state with a push lawnmower.

Try to tell the riding lawnmower forum members that, and they just don't believe me.

[apologies to the Monty Python Flying Circus for that on-the-spot adaptation]

My first mower was a Snapper 21" walk behind side discharge rear bagger - circa 1978/79. I still have that mower. I've replaced the bag 3 times, the wheels 3 times, blades and even the engine once. Only thing original is the aluminum mowing deck, frame and throttle cable.

My rider is a STIGA. 16hp B&S Vanguard, rear engine, X frame, front mulching mowing deck that tilts up for easy cleaning, and uses a 30" snowblower attachment for the winter. Truly a 12 month tractor. Has edgers, wheel weights, tire chains, plow, even sweepers as attachments. Great machine. http://www.stiga-online.com/