EQ Question...

Schu

Are Graphic Equalizers Obsolete? I see many system descriptions and many times they do not include an EQ... in this modern age are they obsolete with modern pre sets that are availible?

thanks

No, graphic EQ units are definitely not obsolete. Every application has its tool. Some favor parametric EQ units, and the digital versions are very popular since they offer so much flexibility and control. The presets you mention I believe are on "receivers" or HT AVRs, and offer simplicity to get various "environments" like stadiums, concert halls, jazz clubs, etc. These type of settings are more for creating a particular listening experience whereas I view an EQ unit as a tool to tune the frequency response in a room...........not create the illusion of being in a stadium or jazz club.

I use a graphic EQ unit to adjust the FR of my system. It is simple, accurate, and it is an analog unit which is what I favor.

Edit: I do recall my PC sound card software and my son's car stereo have EQ presets like: vocals, techno, percussion, flat, jazz, rock, blues, things like this. Again, nice for the quick tune job on a particular song but not for correcting the FR of the system in a room.

I don't know of any and ended up with a DBX 1231 pro unit. You can find them for around $300 new and use both balanced and unbalanced connections. Mine has integrated well with all the home audio preamps and integrateds I have mated it with. Tubes and s/s.

Thanks for all the responses... the main reason I was asking is I am looking at some vintage highend units...I am thinking that it might be better to go with new digital units though. any input from anyone?

I definitey recommend AVOIDING the digital units unless you spend around $1200 or more on one. The inexpensive ones do have very nice feature sets but do not have audiophile sound IMHO. You could be disappointed. In the case of adding an EQ I recommend looking for sound quality..........not fancy feature sets.

The quality I was speaking about was overall sound quality............what it sounds like when you engage the unit into the audio stream. With an EQ you can set everything flat and simply turn it on and off and hear "what it sounds like". How it affects the sound of your system. How much noise it has.

Take the Samson unit mentioned above. I read the manual. A pretty rich feature set, especially for around $250.00. However, a fully balanced unit with only XLR connectors. That unit was not designed for use in a home audio (unbalanced) system. You would be misapplying it by using adaptors and HOPING you didn't get hum or buzz. These type of units may or may not operate correctly when interfaced with various home audio components. It would be an experiment. Now, for $250 what kind of sound quality would you expect? If your other system components are about the same price range, maybe this unit is OK for you. I have used Behringer products.........and got rid of them. Again, nice feature set, but not nearly up to my standards when I listen to them. The point of sound quality is each person's own experience. So maybe you would like the sound of one of the digital units. I'm just relating my experience. You can see my system comnponents in my profile if interested to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Here is the one I use. It is a 4 band parametric Berhringer that has a tube output stage. I'm almost embarrased to admit I use an eq. Most people will tell you to treat the room instead of eq for room issues. I have a dead spot in low bass response right in my listening position. It sounds great everywhere until I sit down, then the bass disappears. I only use the eq to boost the low end to my liking. It sounds a little boomy everywhere other than my listening chair. I have the other 3 bands shelved out. I like this unit, it was not too expensive and the tube "warmer" and "colder" knob is kinda gimmiky but overall I like the unit. Please don't hate me.

Jeremy

post-17815-13819464381654_thumb.jpg

Why would you be embarassed to admit you use an EQ? I'm not, and I've been using them religiously with Klipsch speakers since around 1978. I also use an RTA room measurement system and can prove that my EQ unit improves the FR in the room. Also, up till recently I had no tone controls at all on my tube system. No ability to adjust the sound what-so-ever. Quite the handicap. Used properly and EQ can be a great tool. There was a point a few years ago that I took some heat on this forum for using one, but I think that sentiment has changed. Using room treatments alone to correct FR issues is almost impossible and very difficult to accomplish at best. An EQ is by no means the end all tool for system or room issues, but it can definitely make a huge difference when applied properly.

Another issue is that the Jubilee users (w/K402), and those using the K402 horns (like in my avatar) require EQ to compensate for the CD horn curve...........by design. So EQ is required, one way or another (applied in the passive network is another method). I think when the Jubs started finding their way into homes is around the time people started getting cut some slack around here for using EQ units and active crossovers.

There are few situations were an EQ would not help a sound system, pro or home. Graphics are easier to use, parametrics can yield better results, but are harder to align. I've been using EQs for better than 30 years on my home system, and have found that 31 bands work best for graphics. My current EQ is a DBX 231.

There are few situations were an EQ would not help a sound system, pro or home. Graphics are easier to use, parametrics can yield better results, but are harder to align. I've been using EQs for better than 30 years on my home system, and have found that 31 bands work best for graphics. My current EQ is a DBX 231.

I'm getting a DBX 231 right after I pay for all my loan to own gear : )

Yes, I use an RTA. Basically, a microphone fed into a sound card on a PC running frequency response analyzer. The RTA can emit pink noise among other tones, so you can get real time readings and adjust your system/room to sound anyway you want. Flat, or otherwise. IMHO, tools like this are an absolute must when using an EQ. Otherwise you are just guessing. I can tell you that once you get this stuff set up it is easy, very easy to adjust and extremely satisfying afterward. In my case, lots of frustrations went away. I hardly ever touch the EQ now, but it is always in use.

Yes, I use an RTA. Basically, a microphone fed into a sound card on a PC running frequency response analyzer

This sounds really cool to me. How much can the RTA be had for........and where can I get this software?

http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm

You will need a mic. Many of us use the Behringer ECM8000. Works fine and only around $50.00.

You will need a phanton power supply for mic, and various interconnects to get mic connected to phantom power and then into pc, then PC into your system.

Plan on around $200 total for everything.