Peach II HT vs Stand by

Macallan

I have a quick question for Peach II owners. When I am not listening to the Peach on the weekends I often keep the unit ON and in the HT setting. My reasoning is I can quickly turn the unit to the LO or HI mode for listening without waiting for warm up or the MUTE function. The MUTE function is what I am avoiding, the unit often lets out a loud pop when I engage the Hi or Lo mode. The only way to avoid this is to turn the unit on in HT mode and wait several minutes before engaging the Hi or Lo, the problem is I have no I idea how long to wait. I realize this is what the Stand By mode is intended for but the HT setting is a quicker option. Is there a downside to this solution?

I've got a Peach I but presume situation is the same.

To rephrase your issue... when you switch from Hi or Lo mode, you get a pop. To avoid this pop, you first put it into HT mode, then make your Hi/Lo switch, and then switch OUT of HT mode.

No downside as I see it... the HT mode as I understand, totally bypasses all the internals of the Peach, allowing the HT input to go directly to the Peach outputs such that a HT head unit would now control your speakers. The Standby mode has something like a 40 second wait period when you engage it.

I'd say that if this is working fine for you, there are no downsides (as defined as hurting something)

The last thing in the chain to turn on is the power amp so everything is on and stable before you engage the speakers. The amp should be off until the Peach output relays engage or in your case since the Peach is always on (which is a bad idea), until you engage either hi or lo Z mode. Mark designed standby to keep the heaters on so the tubes didn't need warmup.

I have typically kept my amp on 24/7 but this would be a simple solution. I do not keep the Peach on 24/7 just all day on Sat and Sun since I listen through out the day. It is easier to switch the Peach into HT mode when I am not listening then Standby or Off because of the poping. I can certainly just turn off the amp to avoid any popping but then the amp is cold as well (maybe that does not matter)

• 6 months later...

I have been turning my amp off to avoid the pop but i still get the same thud through the subwoofer. I know i could keep the sub off as well but that is too much trouble.

It appears that the 45 second delay is just not long enough. I can power up the Peach in HT mode and wait a few minutes before I switch to Hi/Lo and everything is fine. It is when i turn on the Peach directly in Hi/Lo mode that i have the problem or if I power up in HT mode and switch too soon. I can hear the faint ping when the 45 seconds have elapsed but i need to wait a few more minutes to avoid the pop.

You are hearing the output relays engage (pop) which is around 45 seconds after power up. What you need to do is get the relays engaged before your amp sends a pop to your speakers. The solution I outlined above is one way, your use of HT mode is another. You are just avoiding the output pop by bypassing the cicuitry when you use HT mode.

Have you played with the 3 position ground switch on the back of the Peach at all? You can try the different posiitons and see if it minimizes the popping. My Peach has always made a gentle pop and I never had any reason for concern. I still wait to turn on the amp though so I don't hear it.

Do you have a hum or buzz coming out of your speakers at idle? You may have a ground loop issue that is involved in this. You can try 2 prong "cheater" plugs to lift the Peach and other system components from ground AS A TEST ONLY.

In my Peach system all components are lifted from ground. However, I am plugged into a GFI outlet and so it is safe. It may not be wise to leave the grounds on your system lifted but you can use the cheater plugs as a test to temporarily understand this issue at hand.

I have tried different settings on the ground switch but the other positions are noisy. And no, i do not get any buzz or hum.

Keeping the amp off while the Peach stabalizes is the easy fix but my sub still gets the signal and goes thud. The fix is just waiting for a longer period of time before engaging the Hi or Lo mode.

What is odd is that I can hear the moment when the 45 second delay has elapsed and the thud will still happen up to a minute later. I have noticed that the longer i wait the less pronounced the thud. I just never know exactly how long to wait. I could always turn off the sub and the amp but I usually just wait a few minutes then engage the Peach.