Member Introduction

pen_man

Hello all, I have been a member here for a couple of years but never really introduced myself.

My name is Terry. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago. I have always been a collector of something or another and a few years ago found myself collecting vintage audio gear. About three years ago, I purchased a pair of K-horns and shortly thereafter bought a pair of ALK Universal crossovers. Like many of you, I would have trouble parting with my K-horns as I like them a great deal. I have used a number of amps with my K-horns including Mcintosh MC-30's, MC-60's, MC-240, Marantz 8B, 300B's and a pair of very unusual RCA-NBC Studio Amps. I currently am using a pair of Fourier OTL mono blocs and like tham a great deal. The OTL's are very fast, dynamic and have tremendous bandwidth. I recently picked up a nice pair of Marantz 9's but am waiting for my tech to inspect them prior to putting them in the system.

I have likewise used several preamps including Mcintosh C-20, C-22, C-11, Marantz 7, Scott 130, Paragon 12A, Conrad Johnson Premier 2 and an Audio Research SP-3A1. I currently use a Fisher 400CX-2.

As far as turntables go, I have used a Thorens TD-124, TD-125, Linn SP-12, STD and others. I presently have a Luxman, the model escapes me, with an Eminent Technology Air Bearing Tonearm. I like and enjoy the arm a great deal and feel it added some improvement over prior arms. As to other sources, I use a Sonic Froniers CD player along with an Ampex 354 reel to reel and a Marantz 10B tuner. I told you I like vintage gear!

I like all good music including blues, jazz, classic rock and roll, bluegrass and some country artists. My setup is in my basement and is less than ideal but that does not deter me. I still enjoy my K-horns and rolling other gear to complement them.

As to my next project, I intend to try an Audio Research 3-way tube crossover and bi-amp my K-horns. I will search the archives but does anyone have any preliminary suggestions.

I look forward to being a more active particiant on the forum and appreciate the pleasantries extended to me by forum members.

Thanks for the introduction Pen Man. I have only been here a short time, but it already feels like home! The great thing about acquiring Klipsch speakers is not only some of the best speakers ever made, but you become part of the "family" and that is Priceless!

Michael! Stop staring at me! [:S]

Dennie

Thanks to all for the kind reception. I do indeed feel like I know most of you and look forward to being more active on the forum.

Coytee, I happen to originally be from Knoxville, actually Maryville, though it has been a number of years since I lived there. My parents and brother are still in the area. I get back that way a couple of times a year. As to the otl's, the Fouriers that I have use have about ten PL509's per channel for the outputs and are about 150 watts per channel. Based on my experience and in my system they are faster than any of the other amps that I have previously used. The bass is low and tight almost solid-state like and the highs are extremely detailed. I can hear detail like the shimmer of cymbals and HF notes that other amps never quite delivered. I enjoy electric, Chicago-style blues, especially live recordings. The otl's seem to bring the music to life unlike most of my other amps that I own. Some come close, but none, at least to me, are quite like the otls. Of course, I am only speaking as to my experiences and I recognize that different components provide different synergies in combination with different surroundings. I am sure otls would not be for everyone but they sure work for me, at least for now.

Welcome aboard. You like participating much more than simply lurking.

Very nice gear you have. Indeed very, very nice.

I think you should adopt me.

You'll only see me at mealtimes and when the stereo is on. I'll even let you listen to my Buddy Guy collection.

Michael! Stop staring at me!

Thanks to Michael, I'm now wearing a splint on my finger... I've been poking at his eye in vain........ Super AngryConfused

tell me about it. they way he is looking at me makes me feel so guilty... guilty of what, i do not know but guilty nonetheless.... its freaking me out...