Shure V15 VxMR vs. Shure V15 VMR?

ajcllc

They are very similar. The V15 V-MR is the older version of this model. The V15 VxMR was introduced in 1997. Shure describes it as " warmer and more musical".

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/documents/web_resource/us_pro_v15_installation_ug.pdf

I doubt there is much difference at this point. Both have been out of production for many years. It's extremely unlikely that you or someone has/will come across two new ones and compared side by side. And then there's the age issue. Both of these, even if they're NOS are going to be many years old. The cantilever suspension material compliance will change over time whether the pickup is used or not. And then there's the storage/environment issues.

Just as a point of reference, I used to just replace the stylus on these and other moving magnet pickups once a year as standard maitenance. So just imagine what 10-20 years of sitting a box who knows where is going to sound like.

The only pickups I haven't had to replace the stylus on are my Decca, but these do not have a "cantilever" and associated suspension system in the conventional sense. On the other hand, these have other issues most people don't want to deal with.

Either of those Shure pickups wil track anything you can throw at them. If they don't track it, something is wrong with the pickup or the setup.

If I were you I would just buy either one that you can get a good price on. Eventually, you're probably going to find that you like various pickups for various reasons. Thats why I have two LP setups, and about five different arm tubes (wands) for each arm/table so I swap out pickups by simply inserting another arm tube. This also allows me to use arm tubes of different mass to better match the pickup being used.

Hi,

from 1997 until 2002 I've used to play a VMR. From 2002 until now I am playing a VXMR.

The difference is very small. The VMR had slightly more light in the highs compared to the VXMR.

From this point of hearing I can agree with Shure's description of the VXMR being "warmer and more musical".

Jack