Pandora Radio on the web

Audio Flynn

My kids introduced my wife to the site today.

I do not care for low res digital but Karen really liked the variety while she was grading 8th grade math tests tonight. Seems like a reasonable way to find new artists similar to a persons historical artist preferences.

So her laptop is sitting on my stereo stand plugged into the CJ preamp. Sacrilgous but she was enjoying the music variety.

Anybody have an idea what type of data Pandora sends?

Don't know about the data type, but it sounds great on my computer speakers. I have entered only one program, The Beatles. It started out playing only Beatle and solo tunes, then tangented off into classic rock. Sometimes it's spot on, sometimes not. I do enjoy some of the 'don't hear that often' stuff.

jerol

My wife enetered 10,000 Maniacs and she was a happy listener all day.

She heard a band called "The Sunday's" she liked allot.

It is not Hi Rez but it does make the listening interesting making ones own radio station.

She was asking questions about building a music server with our LPs. A very good thing. She does not like the hassle of playing LPs but likes the way they sound.

I listen to Pandora at work all day long through headphones. The rez is not great but it is bearable for me. I have several different stations set up for different styles of music that I like. It is really great software if you put the effort into fine tuning it to only play stuff you really like. I have found several artist that I had never heard of but really like. I even went out and bought a few CDs because of Pandora. I recommend it to everyone. BTW no commercials!

Jeremy

My wife enetered 10,000 Maniacs and she was a happy listener all day.

She heard a band called "The Sunday's" she liked allot.

It is not Hi Rez but it does make the listening interesting making ones own radio station.

She was asking questions about building a music server with our LPs. A very good thing. She does not like the hassle of playing LPs but likes the way they sound.

I use Pandora for about 9 hours a day at work. I was introduced to the Sundays and bougth their CD's. Pandora is great for expanding horizons. I don't know the resolution but it sons very god upampled through a Musical Fidelity DAC in my main system.

Audio Flynn, the Pandora FAQ section will say they stream music up to 128 Kbps (mp3), but if
I'm correct, the free web flash version is streaming at 64 Kbps AAC+. Some published perceived listening quality tests for various formats have HE-AAC coming out on top..

If you like the Pandora format, you might check out Last.fm, too.
  • Like 1

No idea about the bitrate but I like it for when I'm working on the computer. I stream it at the office to an older receiver that I use for my Ipod and local radio with some crappy HTiB speakers. It does a decent enough job. I really like it. However, I am sure the IT department hates me for this stunt