Klipsch RC-7 sounds "edgy" at high volumes?

Kain

On my A/V receiver, reference level is -5 dB on the volume nob. This is where all speakers read 85 dB with AVIA. If I watch a movie at or near this reference level, the dialogue sounds edgy/harsh and really in-you-face. I don't think the RF-7s exhibit this behavior at the same volumes, but then I've never disabled the center channel to hear the dialogue through the RF-7s at the same levels. At lower volume settings (-15 dB or lower on the volume nob), the edge to the dialogue is not there and the sound is very smooth.

Is this normal?

• Moderators

When I demoed the RF-7 series, they definitely were lively, in your face speakers. I think it's a signature sound of the RF-7's. The RF-83 series do not sound harsh and have a smoother quality. I don't think there is much you can do to help smooth the RC-7 out. One suggestion is to check with DeanG to see if upgrading the crossover would help.

I know that some horn speakers sound kinda harsh with some amps. IIRC those specific speakers have a low impedance. I wonder if you could swamp the HF driver with a good resistor. That might calm it without messing with the crossover freq. too much, but I can't say for sure. There are those here that could point you in the right direction. One guy here that I'm sure could help is DeanG. Search the forum about swamping and such.

Doesn't the RC-7 and RF-7 have the same tweeter/horns? If so, then how come if I play two-channel CDs at high volumes, the vocals or any other part of the music doesn't sound edgy on the RF-7 like the RC-7?

I should really try and disable the center channel on my A/V receiver to see how the dialogue sounds coming out from the RF-7s rather than the RC-7.

It has been mentioned that the crossovers in those two might be different.

Are you refering to the internal speaker crossovers? If so, then I agree. Different internal crossovers for the RC-7 and the RF-7 could explain why the RC-7 sounds more edgy than the RF-7 at the same volume setting.

I've always considered the rc7 a really great center speaker,the best of all reference,never harsh.You might want to check something else in your setup.I notice you have a HK,as a rule I love em' but I had a new 7200 for a few days,worst avr I ever had,butchered music.It may have had an issue as others liked theirs but my wife asked who's playin' that terrible version of Steely Dan,it was Steely Dan.I only mention that as there can be any number of issues one may not consider.

Maybe it's the receiver running out of gas (clipping)? I would shut down the RF-7s, and listen to just the RC-7.

The HF section of both networks are actually very similar -- not likely to be the cause of this particular problem.

Maybe it's the receiver running out of gas (clipping)? I would shut down the RF-7s, and listen to just the RC-7.

The HF section of both networks are actually very similar -- not likely to be the cause of this particular problem.

Actually, even with Office Space where most of the movie is coming out from only the center channel (and no real loud or dynamic sound effects) I get the same problem with the RC-7 being edgy at high volumes.

And I don't think my A/V receiver is clipping as it has a very beefy amplifier section. This A/V receiver is highly rated.

Anyway, even though you said the HF section of both networks is the same, I'm going to try shutting down the center channel and redirecting the dialogue to the RF-7s and see if there is any difference.

I'd follow up on the room acoustics question by setting the speaker someplace else to see if it sounds the same way. I'd also suggest hooking it up to another channel on the amp, particularly the left or right main channel, and playing some music through it to see if that edginess is there. HK makes good stuff but every manufacturer has a problem unit now and then, and it's possible there is something wrong with just the center channel section of the receiver.

Okay, I didn't sleep at all last night as I was working on two major school assignments. This morning I tried testing out the speakers again. I put in Office Space, cranked the volume to reference (-5 dB on my volume nob), and listened. For some reason, this time the RC-7 sounded smoother with little or no edge to the sound. Did not sleeping alter my hearing? And just for kicks, I disabled the center channel on my A/V receiver and played the dialogue through the RF-7s. The RF-7s sounded just like the RC-7 for dialogue so I guess everything is fine. I guess I falsely assumed that the RF-7s were smoother than the RC-7 when I thought the RC-7 was edgy.

One thing I would like to mention about Office Space that I noticed. With the volume at reference, you can actually hear the A/C humming in the background during scenes when they are inside the office. Pretty impressive effect. It sounds so real. You can't hear it at lower volumes.

true...they can sound edgy...my first impression...although i LOVE the detail. i had dean g upgrade the rf-7 and rc-7...major difference in that honkiness...especially at high volumes...

again, you have to get used to the horns...they're not dome tweeters and don't respond as such...but i don't think anything comes close to them for clarity and sensitivity...especially for ht use...

of course...i would suggest a dfferent power amp...using the bryston on my set definately calmed them down somewhat...