Curious question on 8-vs-16 ohm drivers...

Coytee

Rigma stopped by my house yesterday and gave me part of the answer in that, I was asking about the TAD 4002 driver and if it had a 16 ohm version... It seems the TAD driver IS a 16 ohm driver, so the question I WAS going to ask, became a bit moot...

I'm still curious though so I'll ask anyways [:P]

If you have a nominal 8 ohm driver (Presume it to be a TAD 4002 - 8 ohm) and you then swap it out for a 16 ohm version (the TAD 4002 - 16 ohm) would you be able to do an even swap or would you need to tweek the crossover to some degree?

I know that either driver will be a flat 8 or flat 16 ohms across the board.... so all I'm wondering is, would you simply swap them out or would you need to change something else?

I was debating on trying to find a 16 ohm version of the TAD driver and since it already seems to be a 16 ohm driver, the fear I had about differences in the crossover no longer matter.... now I'm simply curious.

You would have to tweak the crossover to keep the x-over point the same. For example, in a simple first-order network, if your crossover cap was 20uF and you doubled the impedance of the driver, you'd have to halve the value of your x-over cap to 10uF to keep the x-over point consistent.

Moving from a 16R to an 8R or 4R driver on Klipsch models using the autoformer is done by moving down a tap on the autoformer (or two if 4R). No other parts change should be required.

If the sensitivity of the driver is way different, the replacement autoformer from BEC is indicated, and a cap change may be required as well.