Searching Remastered SACD and DVD-A recordings

Would it be reasonable to guesstimate, whether SACD or DVD-A will win the Betamax - VCR war, based on which format is re-mastering larger numbers of previously recorded albums? If so, then, which format is cranking out the larger number of re-mastered disks?

What would be other ways for guesstimating whether SACD or DVD-A will win the war?

Another thought, does one format prefer certain styles (i.e., orchestral, blues, 1970's rock & roll, 1980's rock & roll, etc.)? What are easy ways of determining the styles of music that both SACD and DVD-A prefer?

What are good websites for SACD music and what are good websites for DVD-A music, and do the websites have search features by artist?

I suppose I'd give a gold star to whichever format has re-mastered Paul Rodgers (Bad Company; Free) albums. How can I find out if these albums have been re-mastered?

quote: "What would be other ways for guesstimating whether SACD or DVD-A will win the war?"

I had to look at the date to see if this was an old post. The truth of the matter is that both have lost the war resoundingly to the ipod generation who is quite happy listening to highly compressed music via earphones. Multichannel recordings were introduced in the late '90s, and never caught on, except in a select group of music/HT enthusiasts. Some of those aficionados liked the higher resolution of SACDs/DVD-As, even the stereo-only releases, others like the discrete multichannel highly localized sounds from all 5 speakers; the general public only yawned. Multichannel releases have plummeted from the golden days ("way back" in 2001-2002 or thereabouts) to only a trickle now. Some studios/labels are still committed to some mc releases by some artists, but no one is jumping on any bandwagon. The recent Sound&Vision magazine had a blurb indicating that more companies continue to produce SACDs than DVD-As, but all numbers are very small.

You can visit the "surround sound" section of the www.AVSForum.com website to hear people's reviews and hear the lamentations. An archiving site that monitors SACD releases is www.sa-cd.net.

The only hope is that some of those mc-committed artists and studios will embrace new Blue-Ray based Dolby and DTS surround formats.

There are more SACD titles than DVD-A available currently. There aren't many new titles on either format being released. The remastered rock SACDs that I have heard simply aren't worth buying - save your $$ and get the CD. Classical SACDs vary as to quality. These high rez formats have failed commercially, so get what you like while you can.

That's funny,I also had to look at the date posted.It's true both are about dead.I will say that it was a great idea and I'm glad I bought all I did.I bought both for between $5 and $20,now many of them sell used for almost $100.

That's funny because I see sacds commanding high prices. and while the manufacture of the disks is hit or miss.... over seas suppliers seem to be flowing with new title.

The Pixies just released two new sacds, Doolittle and Bossanova and Genesis has the new version of Nursery Crime

Schu,

The point that I sort of missed expressing, was that high prices don't relate to the quality of the format. In the case of SACD's they charge more because the market, although small, will pay a higher price. I have a SACD player but the format is dying and soon it will be obsolete, much like 3.5 inch floppy discs. Don't take this the wrong way, it's a good format but the consumer went a different direction (BluRay).

Thanx, Russ

I see... I understand supply and demand and the consumer/market doesn't always choose the best solution.

Frankly, no format is the best format... either streaming or download with no hard copy save for whats on your HardDrive. best get use to that, because that's where we're going for everything including TV, movies and music. the few high Def downloads I have bought are pretty good, but I still like a hard copy... for now anyway

There is a DVD-A of Dvorak's From The New World that is breathtaking, and there are still DVD-As out there (although I'm doubtful any new titles have been released in a while)

Amazon still has a few:

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Symphony-Water-Goblin-Audio/dp/B000059ZHF/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

I have to agree that the remastered material on SACD is usually not worth it, unles the existing CD was mastered poorly. The music industry went from qualitative jumps in formats (cylinder, 78, LP, RTR tape, CD, DVD-A) to repackaging their existing libraries, and they wonder why they're losing money.