The BIGGEST Klipsch Rig - Mr. David Phipps, Opti-Case

bhendrix

I guess I'd better get my Bondo out and start working on my beater Kp600 set. There's no point in demonstrating how to refurbish this old stuff any more if you guys are going to go out and buy minty-fresh cabinets.

Look at it this way Michael. You'll have worked yourself to the bone to get yours refurbished and you'll know them like the back of your hand. Can't wait to see and hear them when you get them completed. Maybe they won't be minty-fresh but I'm sure they'll look pretty good and perform up to spec which I'm sure will be spectacular.

Look on the bright side, your MCM stacks are pretty minty for the most part.

Dear Sirs;

I talked to Rodger Gordon the other day on his purchase from Dave on the KP 600s, I have an extra KP 600 EC xover I am going to sell him. I have a 24 box KP 600 system, 8 complete stacks that I use with my sound co. And just to tell you how efficent these speakers are I would need a 36 box system of EAW 850s do do the same job. The EAW 850 series if you don' t know was with out a doubt the most used touring system ever. It also was 3 times as heavy as the KP 600s. I am from MA. and EAW is an hour away from me and a great co. But side by side the KP 600 is still the one!! To bad it was not developed any further. Bob at RAM Sound and myself had many improvements that we talked to Klipsch about for future versions of that system but sadly after Klipsch took over WWR Tech intrest the System of Systems went away. Hope Rodger sets them up correct because he will have one HELL OF A STEREO SYSTEM !!!!

Thanks Joey B KP 600

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

BILL HENDRIX, It should be fun the First time you use those with the Church....................somebody is gonna say "Is that God talking"..............when you fire those up !

Thanks for the Pics and the labels - it really helps.............[8]

BILL HENDRIX, It should be fun the First time you use those with the Church....................somebody is gonna say "Is that God talking"..............when you fire those up !

Thanks for the Pics and the labels - it really helps.............Music

Bill H.,

Bill Hendrix was not able to use these for his church, so Kevin Harmons dental partner, Tim paid Bill Hendricks what Bil had in his amplifiers for the system, as Tim was going to donate them to his church. When Tims church couldn't use the system, Kevin bought the system from Tim, plus paid Opti-Dave the additional $2,000, that he sold both of us, our other two systems for, so now Kevin had 4 KP-600 stacks, or =12 bins. Enter Steve Kovats, or FYRPWR as you may know him from here on the forum. Steve had been trying to get a set from Texas bad, but no more are for sale period. Steve kept after Kevin, and Kevin agreed to sell Steve Kovats, Bill Hendricks orriginal set for what he had in them, minus the single KP-600 EC Electronic crossover. Steve has been working like mad, trying to spruce up his set of KP-600s, as he is taking them to Hope for pilgramidge. The KP-600 are rare, but the KP-600 ECs are frickin hens teath!! Opti Dave owned 6 sets of KP-600s, or =12 stacks, or =36 cases, depending on how you want to look at it. With all 6 sets, Opti-Dave only owned three KP-600 ECs, and you need two to run stereo. Now Kevin had all three of them, I had none, Steve Kovats had none, Michael Colter had none, another short time poster on the forum DPBenson has a beutiful set of KP-600s with a pair of Klipsch KP-600 ECs. (His KP-600 ECs can be seen via a hyper link from his thread KP-600 SYSTEM in the Klipsch Pro section I just bumped up!) Bob McTyerie, that owns Ram Sound in Florida, has 4 sets of KP-600s, =8 stacks, or =24 boxes, and I believe he has two KP-600 EQs. After alot of corospondance on the phone, I became lucky enough to become friends with Joey B., that also owns 4 sets, =8 stacks, or =24 Boxes of KP-600s, and Joey was willing to sell me his extra KP-600 EC. Now Kevin is a good budy of mine, but he doesn't need money, and he wanted his extra KP-600 EC in case one of his two went bad. How to get something from a good buddy, and fellow Klipsch nut that is Klipsch, and extremely rare, that he has a legitamit purpose for??? Kevin has the best collection of big Klipsch of any private individual I know of, and his babies are a pair of Pauls last design for us, the Jubilees. Add to this the fact that Kevin is a fanatical 2 channel music listener rather than a surround system movie guy, and you understand why he has a KPT-684 paired with his Jubilees. Ever since hearing Kevins Jubilees, paired with his KPT-684, I had to have a KPT-684 also, and I ended up buying one, but I wanted that KP-600 EC bad, and I knew two KPT-684s in Kevins Man Cave would just be frickin awsome!! I also knew that a pair of KPT-684s would go awsome with Kevins 4 way Motengators, so I offered my KPT-684 to Kevin for his spair cross over, and thankfully, he agreed, cause now I found and bought another KPT-684 out of Wisconsin. Now I just need to find a second KP-684 for me to keep!!! It's madness I tell ya!!

Hey Coytee, you got more storage in the Semi trailor?? My KP-600s, My 5 MWM double bins, my 4 MWM single bins as soon as I put 4 new woofers in, and a KP-684 or two if I can score another, Your two MWM singles with fancy smancy French Kiss Drivers, and about 9 TSCM Bass Bins, plus 7 TSCM Top Hats, plus a few of your K-402 / K-69 settups, plus my two Velodyne HGS-18IIs, do ya think we could plss off the neighbors??

How much extension cord ya got again????? [6][6][6][A]

Roger

• 4 years later...

KP600EC is just a analog crossover network, nothing magical about it. Looking at finally finishing my stacks, and I have a RANE AC23 here in the shop, that's a stereo three way network, which can also be configured to a mono 4 or 5 way. With the stacks of Crown amps at my disposal (three MicroTech 1200's for starters), it should be pretty straightforward to complete my rebuilds/bodywork/paint, create wiring bundles, and hookup/test these KP600's as Klipsch instructed. 

Followers could probably do even better with the use of the many digital offerings which would allow further refinement of eq and phase alignment than with these older crossovers. I have a DBX Driverack which might be able to do 4 way so that would be an interesting trial. One does not need a stereo 4-way network as the KP600EC was only a single channel device as well, and didn't offer any extra processing not found on a dozen of other passive networks of the era. It was simply the one chosen to be utilized by Klipsch at that time. 

Edited by colterphoto1

Not magical Michael, but rare, hard to find, and original.............

I'm very pleased that Kevin was willing to hook me up with my second one, and Joey hooked me up with the first one!

Kevin got a second KPT-684 for his man cave, and I now have a pair of KPT-684s as well.

I plan on meeting Kevin at Hope in April to give him that last MWM double bin I held back for him when I sold all my other MCM 1900 pieces when you were at my house Michael, so Kevin can put a K-402 / K-69 on top and use it as a center in his man cave.

Kevin has offered to pay me for the MWM double bin, but I want to give it to him as I value his friendship a lot more than money! :)

Roger

• Like 1