Recommendation for a tube preamp?

Frank1938

Good morning. I am looking for recommendations for a tube preamp to use in a two-channel configuration with my Cornwall IIIs. The preamp will be connected to my Aragon Stage One (stereo direct) and from there to the Aragon 2007 (SS). I would like to spend under $1,000, if possible. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Frank

First time posting here. Longtime audio enthusiast and Klipsch admirer, but my first ownership experience.

I had a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 in a previous system and replaced it with a Placette Audio Passive. Placette Audio, in Idaho, also makes an active preamp and RVC (remote volume control), but none of them have tubes. The reason I mention the Passive, even though it is not tubed, is because of my comparison with the highly regarded Line 3. The difference between the Passive and RVC is the former can switch between 3 inputs and RVC is for a single source. They both use the same stepped attenuator, which is why they perform so well. If I were to build another 2 channel system or just wanted to add remote control capability to a system, the Placette would be at the top of the list.

Frank,

I'd echo any recommendation for a Juicy Music preamp. The Juicy Music Merlin does IMO have the fabulous sound of the Peach and BlueBerry without all the bells and whistles.

I have also had very good experience with the Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp Control Center. It is a fat cat preamp with remote. It's no longer being built, but some good deals can be had.

I love my Wright WLA12, loved the Peach as well.

Thanks for the info on the preamp. I checked them out on the web and it looks interesting. My only concern is George's health problems. I wonder if the company will continue if he decides to get out of the business due to his health? Maybe it is so well built that I won't have to worry about any problems?

Frank

Juicy Music Merlin does IMO have the fabulous sound of the Peach and BlueBerry without all the bells and whistles.

The Juicy Music Merlin sounds just like what I need. I'm looking for the tube sound with the Cornwalls and will be using the Stage One for gain so I only need something simple with great sound. Now to see if I can find something. Thanks a lot.

Frank

Thanks for the info on the preamp. I checked them out on the web and it looks interesting. My only concern is George's health problems. I wonder if the company will continue if he decides to get out of the business due to his health? Maybe it is so well built that I won't have to worry about any problems?

Frank

I wouldn't have any hesitation about buying Wright gear. It's well built for sure. In the event service was needed, there are lots of folks who could handle that.

Hope you can locate a Merlin. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

It would be worth contacting Mark Deneen at GMA. He'd be one more person to be watching for one and he might still be building out units from parts in stock.

Frank

I wouldn't have any hesitation about buying Wright gear. It's well built for sure. In the event service was needed, there are lots of folks who could handle that.

It would be worth contacting Mark Deneen at GMA. He'd be one more person to be watching for one and he might still be building out units from parts in stock.

I contacted him the other day and was told he has no more to sell and is no longer making anything. Just my luck now that I'm in the market to buy one of his amps.

Frank

I hate to hear this about George Wright as well but he has several people building for him. If anything god forbid were to happen I would hope they would carry on his designs. This also makes me want to buy his signature line preamp before anything does happen.

au-1000.front.gif

I contacted him the other day and was told he has no more to sell and is no longer making anything. Just my luck now that I'm in the market to buy one of his amps.

Oh no. This really sucks...... I'm going to be watching the audiogon like a hawk in the coming months.

They still show up on audiogon.com. Just look at this recent deal.... or steal.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1244560563&/Wright-sound-mono-8

Oh no. This really sucks...... I'm going to be watching the audiogon like a hawk in the coming months.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1244560563&/Wright-sound-mono-8%20%20%20' target="_blank">

It's Juicy Music I contacted who's not making anything, not George Wright.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1244560563&/Wright-sound-mono-8%20%20%20' target="_blank">

It's Juicy Music I contacted who's not making anything, not George Wright.

Never said I was smart :) I'll go back to my corner...

JM Preamps show up on the Garage Sale forum from time to time.