Suggestions wanted for 2 channel

Fastlayne

I recently had the good fortune to upgrade my HT with Klipsch speakers. The speakers they replaced were good for HT, but not very convincing, to my ears, for music. Now HT is * !

I prefer music with surround off, just the RF-83s and sub. My only source for my CD collection is the Blu Ray player. Audio is connected to the receiver from the optical output, as well as the 8 ch. analog. The AVR-7300 is rated at 125 wpc for stereo, but the actual output of this model has been measured at close to 200 wpc.

My question is what would provide the best improvement, a dedicated CD player or separate amp? Tubes are ok if you have model suggestions.

*add your favorite word or phrase here to describe incredibly good sound, i.e. fantastic, jawdropping, intense, much more realistic...etc. :)

what problem are you trying to solve?

have you imaged your speakers as best as possible?

do you have a sub?

do you have any idea of the frequency response of your system?

have you considered acoustic panels?

and yes, refurbished vintage integrated tube amps, like those from NOSvalves, are wonderful bargians in audiophile quality sound

I don't know that amp, but hard to believe it sux. I'm with Colin..what is the PROBLEM?

Unless you have a VERY highly tuned or practiced ear, a different CD player isn't likely to make you swoon unless there is something wrong with the one you have. I am interested only in accuracy, and I have heard CD/SACD/DVD-A players in the sub-200.00 category that are, to my (possibly deaf) ears completely accurated on the most rigourous of tests, stuff I recorded myself.

If you just want a 2 channel showpiece, then there are some awesome looking and sounding tube amps that will light up your life, and many won't break the bank. So, indulge!!!! I have an ST-70 I sit and stare at even when I am not listening. It's a pleasure!

I'd go find something you like looking at and the price is in your range, then float it to the group. You won't get any totally bum steers around here, but there is a lot of bias (no pun intended...but what the heck) and it is YOU who needs to be both visually and audibly satisfied.

No point in finding some people, dressing like them, and following them around.

Dave

I think you have a good start. I would try RCA interconnects to the BluRay player. Use Cardas 300B if you want a lush midrange or Kimber Silver if you want more detail and some sizzle (not my choice). What make sub do you have?

Thanx, Russ

what problem are you trying to solve?

Thanks for the replies. It's not so much there is any problem, but in general I wondered if there was an opinion on which upgrade would be the best for music, amp or cdp. This is my first Blu Ray, but it's probably not optimized for CD playback if it's like other DVD players I have owned.

Yes, I have the RT-10d sub.

I'm limited on positioning the speakers very far from the front wall because of the room shape and traffic patterns. The RF-83s were dealer demos, but he hadn't played them for more than an hour or two total, so they probably are not broken in fully. The room is carpeted, acoustic ceiling and leather upholstered furniture.

I don't have a turntable or vinyl collection, so I want to make the most of CD playback for the time being. It probably makes the most sense to get a decent CD player to try, but I don't want to get a really expensive one. I'll probably try tube amps eventually as well.

Welcome Fastlayne, good to have you here. You sound like you want to buy something, so here you go. Get one of these and you will not be sorry. They play CD/DVD-A/SACD/MP3 and more. I have the 970 and love it. It is a great "universal" player and it gets very good ratiings. CD's sound great!

LINKY-------> OPPO

Dennie

... I am interested only in accuracy, and I have heard CD/SACD/DVD-A players in the sub-200.00 category that are, to my (possibly deaf) ears completely accurated on the most rigourous of tests, stuff I recorded myself. ...

Something like that might make sense since the Blu Ray player will not play SACD or DVD-A. What brand is that player?

Welcome Fastlayne, good to have you here. You sound like you want to buy something, so here you go. Get one of these and you will not be sorry. They play CD/DVD-A/SACD/MP3 and more. ...

Thanks Dennie, that could be the same one Dave is referring to. I will check them out.

... I am interested only in accuracy, and I have heard CD/SACD/DVD-A players in the sub-200.00 category that are, to my (possibly deaf) ears completely accurated on the most rigourous of tests, stuff I recorded myself. ...

Something like that might make sense since the Blu Ray player will not play SACD or DVD-A. What brand is that player?

Are you talking to Dave or me? Really dosen't matter, as I know Dave will agree that this is a fine CD player Plus! It is an OPPO. It is a internet only company, so you'll have to order it online. I know many people that have them and are thrilled with the player and the company. They are coming out with a Blu-Ray Player, but it keeps getting pushed back.

Click Here for OPPO

Dennie

If you currently have your Blu-Ray player hooked up to any kind of digital output for sound and you intend to use a separate CD player the same way the sound will be the same. You might get better sound using the analog outputs of a CD player that has better DACs than your receiver does. Cambridge Audio makes some great CD players that you can pick up pre-owned in the $100-250 range.

If you currently have your Blu-Ray player hooked up to any kind of digital output for sound and you intend to use a separate CD player the same way the sound will be the same. You might get better sound using the analog outputs of a CD player that has better DACs than your receiver does. Cambridge Audio makes some great CD players that you can pick up pre-owned in the $100-250 range.

I think that's what russ was referring to also when he suggested going from the Blu Ray L/R analog outputs to the receiver. The Samsung BD-P2500 has 7.1 analog out and L/R analog out. I'll try the L/R tomorrow...thanks to both of you for that tip.

Thanks again for the tip. It does sound better with L/R analog out from the Blu Ray player. The changes are subtle but there, mainly improvements in vocals and bass extension is what I have noticed from some switching between the optical and analog today.

Has anyone heard the BADA HD-22SE or Doge 6 tube CDPs?