dtel's wife

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Almost forgot, Thanks Sheltie Dave for finding and then helping the idea disappear [:D]

Jc got some monsters and we got a steal on a pair of new RB 75's, Thank You for starting this.

• Moderators

JC, congrats. wow great score!

Christy and dtel, you guys are awesome.

Thank you Daddy Dee, but without JC buying them they would still be there, they would have had to go real cheap for me to get them, I am glad JC wanted them.

For such a massive setup, where's the
bass? I appreciate that horn bass can have a more pleasing effect, but
the specs do not look all that great. Please educate me.

What do you want the specs to look like?

Not
many
systems will do 139dB at 80Hz, 135dB at 40Hz, 129dB at 35Hz, or
117dB at 20Hz. Keep in mind that's for one MWM in 1/8 space...you can
add another 6dB for the stereo pair (assuming the bass is mixed mono,
which is almost always the case). That's also not including the effects
of room gain, which as JC has mentioned will push the response flat to
30Hz...so that'll be like 142dB at 30Hz in room with a stereo pair, or about 120dB at 15Hz.

It probably won't be super clean at those levels, but that's an
indication of what the specs are showing.....crazy insane SPL's, but
then that's what they were built for.

I think the "specks" were drivers. I think the concern was whether the cabs had drivers. Obviously they do. I rather enjoyed the conspiratorial banter.

I'd planned on going, mostly for fun & to visit an ailing friend wo lives near the dtels. (Work prevented me) I would have deferred to Mrs. dtel in everything. I'm impressed she did so well at her first auction. Congrats.

....I have another 4 sets of the MWM bass bins

If you ever need to thin the herd out a bit.... [^o)]

Regarding the haul, WTG JC!! I've always wanted to hear those. When you get those up & running you'll have to let me know, I'd love to detour through on my way to visit my family in Atlanta.

It just dawned on me... JC, you might be able to write this off as a business expense...

Next time you get a patient in who's having trouble passing a kidney stone, you can simply put them between your Klipschotripters and crush it.

J.C. great score man. I was thinking last night something along the ways of what you said about a big room, man you could almost build a theater and charge close friends and forum members 1 dollar to come check it out. Then you probably could write them off, you've got some really big gear now it will take alot of space.

nick

Hey tubes-n-horns, the speakers in my avatar measure flat down to just BELOW 30hz. in my room. I have them in corners. I have posted the curves before but I am work and don't have them now. Don't believe everything you read. You could do better or worse in your own application. Nobody comes to my house and asks "Where's the bass"? Ha. what a joke. Let me know when you are traveling close to Athens, Ga. [:D]

• Moderators

Back home now, went to pick them up and had to wait a while for other people to load there JUNK so I could get the best part of the whole auction loaded. drove back and put them in the storage unit. The storage unit is now FULL, I have some kitchen cabinets from somewhere that are taking up way to much space. I am/was holding the cabinets for a X son in law, he wanted them so he is going to be given the last chance to get them,I will take them to my house and he can pick them up here or they will become ash.

My camera is in the shop, so I will find another one around here and try to get some pic's posted this evening or Saturday. They are BIG, and HEAVY, there are no handles on the bass bins, that does not help. We used a dolly with 4 wheels covered with a blanket to move them , it really went better than I thought it would. There was a ramp where we picked them up from so I just backed up to it until the dovetail on my trailer was on the ramp. We then used a piece of 3/4" plywood on the dovetail because it's grating and angle iron, we just rolled them right up into the trailer and put them on blankets, plenty of blankets to cover a space that big, they take up most of a 20' trailer.

Dean,

Do you understand the benefits of maximum headroom? You don't have to play it loud to enjoy transient attack, ultra clear bass with low distortion and crystal clear vocals.

Now finding a living room big enough is a different problem.

JC,

Congrat on your find! You might need to at least tilt the HF horn down so it doesn't blow over your head. That was mighty nice of dtel and his wife to lend a hand and a 20 foot trailer. Wow...that is cool. I am starting to get the hankering to buy one of those KP600's now. Too bad childerens college edu comes first.

Dean,

Do you understand the benefits of maximum headroom? You don't have to play it loud to enjoy transient attack, ultra clear bass with low distortion and crystal clear vocals.

Now finding a living room big enough is a different problem.

JC,

Congrat on your find! You might need to at least tilt the HF horn down so it doesn't blow over your head. That was mighty nice of dtel and his wife to lend a hand and a 20 foot trailer. Wow...that is cool. I am starting to get the hankering to buy one of those KP600's now. Too bad childerens college edu comes first.

Thanks. Yes the Dtels are the best.

I agree. I heard the jubs as three way with the 510 on top of the 402. I was about 10-15 feet away sitting down. That wasn't very good results. So either my seating will be what I call....."cocktail tables" or tilt the horns down...

jc