Would you paint your Klipsch's?

CAS

We just built a new house and the entertainment family room has khaki walls with one cholcolate colored wall. Anyway, it all looks outstanding with the new samsung LCD on the wall, but I was wondering if it would blend even better if the speakers up front were the same color as the wall. Across the front I have black Synergy F2's on custom 12" stands to match the height of the screen and a black Reference RC-35 center channel.

Reason for even considering? With all of the equipment now there are just soooo many black components it seems like black is all I'm looking at now. Not that I'm a decorator or overly influenced by the significant other, but I think it would be neat to match at least the floor standing speakers to the wall (not including the grills).

What's wrong with me?

• Like 1

I'm not so sure I would try to paint them. If they get nicked it will scratch them, which would lead to the paint chipping, etc. I might consider it a good idea if they were real wood, and not "laminate".

I have to ask............ how do they sound on 12" stands? I wouldn't imagine that would help the sound at all. If anything, I would think it would make them sound worse? I've always been told that you want the tweeters at or around ear level....................

Prior to bringing the Jubilees home, I told the wife that if she wanted, she could paint them to help blend them into the room (hahahahaaha)

At first she was interested, then she saw them and has never ever pursued that subject again. She must think they have cooties or something.

I'm not so sure I would try to paint them. If they get nicked it will scratch them, which would lead to the paint chipping, etc. I might consider it a good idea if they were real wood, and not "laminate".

I have to ask............ how do they sound on 12" stands? I wouldn't imagine that would help the sound at all. If anything, I would think it would make them sound worse? I've always been told that you want the tweeters at or around ear level....................

I originally built the stands to keep the small dog from getting fur in the grill cloth, but it ended up significantly improving the imaging. You're absolutely correct, the tweeter is now exactly at ear level. The SF-2 (sorry, mistaken with the new model F2) is only 36 inches tall which means the tweeter is probably around 30" off the ground. With the extra foot it's right in line with the ear. Amazing difference.

• Like 1

Painting speakers to blend in ! [:|] Who had this idea? Pass me a 2x4 and let me drive a few long rusty nails in it.

NEVER paint speakers to blend in,unless you know the resale value will drop like a stone or you are a master at painting and do a Wilson like finish...on a Wilson. You better make DIY cabinets of the same volume and paint these.

Someone tries to paint my rosewood Dynes or cherry Klipsch I make sure they hit the lane hard.

actually, I just painted my LaScalas-not to blend in-but to refinish-

some previous #$@%$@@# had decided to touch scratches and dings up with a brush and cheap gloss black paint!!!!!!!

I bought commercial black satin laquer, a HVLP sprayer, set up a spray booth in my garage, and went to town

Not perfect, but perfectly acceptable

what's the old saying? art shouldn't match your sofa?

neither should your speakers

nuff said

• 1 month later...

I also wanted my Klipsch stuff to match, in my case with a teak bookcase. Fearing the worst I rubbed a reddish "mahogany" on my "oak oil" cabinets and---woow, teak. Then I bought a black flat paint (or stain, don't know) sub and thought I could live with it, but noooooo........ So I sanded it first with a coarser grit then finished it with 150-200, mixed up some stain and wooow, Teak. If your stuff is veneered in a real wood finish why not put in some work, find a tan to kahki stain and make the whole room and system look killer custom. Just like the sound, only you have to like the way they look.