How'd you get started with Klipsch?

alkemyst

After reading articles about how Bell Labs tested the K-horns and everybody went ga ga over them calling them "King Klipsch" I decided in the early 60's those were for me. They also threw in a Cornwall (at my expense) for the powered center channel with volume control on my Fisher 202B.

JJK

The short version:

Lived in Okinawa at the age of 15. Hung out with a young Marine who has LaScalas, and was a DJ. I was instantly sold on Klipsch. Got a job washing Humvee's and military Jeeps. Saved up all summer; bought a Pioneer receiver, a KMC center, and I HATE to admit it, but Bose 301's...................

My first listen to Klipsch weren't even the real thing. The brother of djk and I were in the same church at the time (mid '80s), and we borrowed some LS clone bass bins and the rest to use in a p.a. (built by Dennis). Eventually, my son and I gravitated here after I told him about the LaScalas. Hung out here and the son goes off to school at Full Sail. Buys himself a set of Heresies and me a set of Heresy IIs. Then I found a pair of LS... the next step hasn't happened yet... [:|]

My story ... is actually documented here on the forum somewhere.

I was putting on a birthday party for my girlfriend. We wanted tunes on a dry lakebed .... and I was planning on generators and powered JBL's ... then I stumbled upon the SI T-amp with 8w of power ... I knew I could pull the party off with La Scalas and a battery powered T-amp .....

The La Scalas have not made it out to the lakebed again .... they take up the main slot in the house. I have a set of KP-201's that do just fine with the t amp for campfire listening.

so you had the La Scalas from where and what gave you the idea to T-Amp them? :)

1974, attending the Navy's Nuclear Power School in Mare Island. I'd never so much as heard of Klipsch until then. My roommate mentioned Klipschorns, something about a folded horn. Shortly after, I bought some nameless speakers and a Pioneer receiver. Lived with those for many years. Dropped into a couple audio stores in San Diego from time-to-time, first heard some Cornwalls, but still didn't know much about the company. Moved back to Colorado in 1979. Early in the 90's, decided to upgrade. The salesman at Listen Up was kind enough to demo some LaScalas and Cornwalls for me knowing I couldn't afford them. Also heard Fortes and Chori, but the KG4s fit my budget. Gave the nameless speakers and the Pioneer to my kid sister. The KG4s have been relegated to basement duty, replaced by the recently-built Cornscalas. Now patiently waiting for the right pair of Cornwalls to appear, perhaps needing some restoration/refurbishing work.

What a great thread! I originally bought a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV on clearance from Best Buy in the summer of 2007 and soon realized that some surround sound would really enhance my tv watching and video game playing, so I scoured craigslist and bought some JBL speakers with stands and a receiver, my first home theater setup. I discovered that I loved home theater and it has been a hobby since then, so much so that I decided to work at Best Buy for the holiday season last Christmas, and to my surprise they had great employee pricing on Klipsch stuff, so I researched and after reading this forum I was hooked even before hearing the speakers. I thought they offered that employee pricing so we would sell more klipsch stuff, which I did, but klipsch will undoubtedly make more money off of me even though I don't have my discount anymore. I thought I was set with my rf 82s but now I am already looking for a great deal on the rf 63s or 83s, as well as the rc 64. The madness is just getting started...

Started with Altecs and ESS Heils-Sansui- SAE- Phase linear- back in the 70s. Kinda lost interest in the 80s- got heavily into guns- listened to and wanted a set of k horns- could not afford- downgraded system to JBLs and Sony. Became friends with another gun collector who was a Kipsch freak/audiophile. He fell into a bad divorce situation. Brought his stuff to my house to hide it from soon to be x- wife. Became depressed and put a Glock 23 to his head. In his memory, I sold the misc stuff and bought a set of RF3s (which were highly regarded at the time) to match his other stuff. Used the RF3s/KV2 for 8 years until 10-08 when my Sony reciever died. Got just a tiny litte bite from the upgrade bug after hanging out here. Bought a set of Cornwalls from a forum member and switched to total Heritage system. My kids are using my old klipsch stuff.

Dad bought Heresys at Hi-Fi Hut in Illinois in the mid 70's...6 years prior to me being born...I have fond memories of listening to music as a child. At ago of 16, one of the Heresy's started cutting out...I take it apart and re-wire it, I never saw a speaker like that before from the inside...this does not fox the problem (ya, as if I could not see that one coming these days) I purchase dad a new Sony receiver because the left channel on the 8080 is going out...they live again, but sound like crap on the cheap Sony receiver. I learn that the amp is also an important part of the system haha. I muddle through some cheap Sony systems and get bit by the vintage bug in college, fall in love with Audio Consultants in Evanston and Livertyville and discover e-Bay. Build a very nice front end over the years, use my Cerwin Vega RE-12s (my first conscious stereo purchase in '96...I liked them better than the RE-15s even though they were cheaper...)as HT fronts and my B&Ws for 2 Channel setup. Last week I buy my Cornwall Verts, B&Ws go to HT, Cerwins going on CL, and as soon as I patch my east foundation wall this weekend and drywall and buy carpet, I will get to listen to my 2 Channel stereo that has been in storage for over 5 years now. Heaven.

my info is chronicled here somewhere. Anyway I heard Heresy's in high school at a local record/stereo store (mid-late 70's) Joined the navy and heard a pair of La Scala's at the Fleet Exchange in Yokosuka JA in Oct 1984,. I bought em that day.

Reading copies of Stereo Review at the bookstore as a kid (age 14) led to the purchase of my first piece of equipment... a Pioneer SX-3800 receiver in 1980. A subscription to Stereo Review throughout the 80's, with those Klipsch ads inside, generated a continued interest in the Klipsch name. A review of the Forte in the July 86 issue put me over the edge, and over the next 3 years I made almost monthly trips to Hillcrest HiFidelity (here in Dallas) to listen to ALL the Klipsch speakers (first place I heard Khorns).

Finally in Sept of 1989, after much comparison listening with the Chorus (which I couldn't afford as a 23 year old), I bought a pair of Forte's... which are still in the family.

I walked into a hardware store with a friend and a couple of the guys were just finished setting up some speakers. Good timing for an audition and the guys took the time to explain to us what we had not previously experienced in audio ...incredible db level, crystal clear, from the horns, the bass in the chest and the Crown gear.

I've lived in Indiana most of my life and I've never been to a hardware store like that.

I walked into a hardware store with a friend and a couple of the guys were just finished setting up some speakers. Good timing for an audition and the guys took the time to explain to us what we had not previously experienced in audio ...incredible db level, crystal clear, from the horns, the bass in the chest and the Crown gear.

I've lived in Indiana most of my life and I've never been to a hardware store like that.

It was unusual to say the least but I was a kid so I didn't try to figure it out. It was Leeson Hardware which was adjacent to Leeson Department store in Elwood. They weren't set up as a display for sale or anything permanent, more like they were just testing them.

It was unusual to say the least but I was a kid so I didn't try to figure it out. It was Leeson Hardware which was adjacent to Leeson Department store in Elwood. They weren't set up as a display for sale or anything permanent, more like they were just testing them.

Definitely unusual....

Small world. We've lived in Kokomo for over 14 years now and our daughters have played at least a couple of softball and/or soccer games in Elwood. Home of Red Gold - their Salsa's our favorite as is their ketchup which is really cheap at the local Sam's club ( it just went up to $1.84 for 2 quarts after bing $1.76 for the last couple of years) but $%^#* it, no Salsa in bulk. Go figure. Just took a couple of 2 quart bottles of Red Gold to one of my wife's cousin's husband who is a ketchup lover and really love Red Gold when we visited her Aunt and Uncle and he stopped for some fries for his ketchup on his way home.

Definitely unusual....

Small world. We've lived in Kokomo for over 14 years now and our daughters have played at least a couple of softball and/or soccer games in Elwood. Home of Red Gold - their Salsa's our favorite as is their ketchup which is really cheap at the local Sam's club ( it just went up to $1.84 for 2 quarts after bing $1.76 for the last couple of years) but $%^#* it, no Salsa in bulk. Go figure. Just took a couple of 2 quart bottles of Red Gold to one of my wife's cousin's husband who is a ketchup lover and really love Red Gold when we visited her Aunt and Uncle and he stopped for some fries for his ketchup on his way home.

I don't think I've had a decent tomato since we lived there!

gpbusa, is your avatar a picture of your spinal hardware, and was a 'busa involved? I have similar hardware at L4-L5 and would not recommend titanium, since I managed to snap both titanium rods within eight months of installation. I have stainless steel hardware in other parts, which seems to have the fatigue strength to last a lifetime, unlike titanium.

Unfortunately, in most cases, you're not offered a choice before the hardware is installed...

Your mention of Stereo Review brings back memories--spent many an hour pouring over my dad's copies back in the late 60's - early 70s, getting some education and lusting after this and that in the mag.

I started out with some hand-me-down EVs. The first speakers I bought myself were Advents when I was about 15. I stumbled accross some Cornwall demos ($800 in RB) when I was around 20 ('75). Heard 'em, bought 'em. I just replaced them with Belles a few months ago. Interestingly, the Bells were $800 too--well $900 with the SW12. [:D]

1994 My friend from work invited me over to his house. Listened to his KG 4's hookedd to a small NAD receiver. A month later I went to good guys to see what was selling. At the time KG 4.2's were being disconntinued. I bought the last pair in the box ( black) $500. Since then Ive owned probably 30 pairs of combination of bookshelfs floor speakrs dipols center speakers and subwoofers. Its so odd 15 years and 30 pairs of speakers later I love these epics the most.

Thirty five years ago I sold Bose 901s and a Dynaco 400 to pay law school tuition. Almost immediately I decided to start a mobile DJ business to finance law school, so I needed more equipment I built another Dynaco 400 from a kit, bought a mixer and two Technics direct drive turntables and then considered speakers.

I'd heard the entire Klipsch line at Almas Stereo in Birmingham, MI and at Hi-Fidelity Workshop in Royal Oak, MI, so I explored the idea of using efficient Klipsch speakers in the new business. When I discovered that an assembled Speakerlab SKhorn was about half the cost of a Klipsch decorator Khorn, I ordered four of the knock-offs and persuaded Speakerlab to absorb the shipping—from Seattle to Detroit.

I dragged those 4 Speakerlab K-horn clones (I know, no match for the real thing in quality, but they weighed the same) from frat parties to JR High dances. With 300 watts/channel of Dynaco SS power (into the 4 ohm load of the two 8 ohm speakers/channel), I deafened adolescents all over the Detroit area.

It would have been sacrilegious—and prohibitively expensive—to subject real K-horns to that abuse. I knocked down the plywood shipping crates to permanently attach false corners.

As I would roll the first one off the trailer using a dolly, people would gasp at the size of the flat black wooden refrigerator-sized speaker. When I told them that three more were coming, they'd freak.

The sound from those knock-offs was loud and clear, although I fried the T-35 voice coils regularly. EV gave me an open account. A call on Monday to EV at 600 Cecil St. Buchanan, MI would have the new voice coil and a bill for less than $20 at my door in time for the next weekend. Nobody does business that way anymore.

One time a woman called to again book my services. She asked if the price quoted included the drummer. I had a difficult time convincing her that there had not been a real drummer the last time. She was not used to hearing horn-loaded bass speakers played at high volume.

After a couple years I sold the whole setup as an ongoing business. I'd like to see and hear those speakers again.

The one and only time I met and spoke with PWK he was diplomatic about the Speakerlabs and agreed that such yeoman duty would be beneath real Klipschorns. The conversation gravitated to his disappointment with licensing Klipsch's patents to other manufacturers, e.g., Electro-Voice. Suddenly, he shifted the topic to the relative merits of various malt whiskeys. Then, just as suddenly, he asked me, "Do you know what a Patrician is?" Before I could reply that it's an Electro-Voice speaker he said, "A Patrician is someone who steps out of the shower to take a leak." Meeting and speaking with him was unforgettable. I never met anyone else like him.

Klipschorns, Cornwalls, Heresies and La Scalas have passed this way over the years. Here's a photo of an early foray by Klipsch into car audio.