Promedia 5.1 Ultra and THX PLEASE TAKE A LOOK!!!

prodigyk

what's up gang,

Well First off i created this thread gather many people that own a promedia 5.1 as possible. Reason why i want to do this, is because i want everybody to share their thoughts and techique on how to fix these SUB problem everyone to seem to be having which are the BASH chip and etc. Personally i really don't know anything about these except the fact that i own one myself and its also came down the point where its not working anymore for most people. So please help if possible or share your thoughts on these SUB.

So anyways i recently posted a thread on this issue, but it wasn't no help because nobody really view it. So i'm deciding to post another one.

Problems: Sub is not working.

Tried: Putting pressure on Bash chip. Moving it around, and etc.

currently the control pod is working. Headset is working also, and i'm also out of idea whats going on. And i'm pretty sure if ya guys share ya thoughts on this problem everybody will benefits from this so please ***** THIS THREAD!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bash amp is notoriously faulty from design and inferior parts used. If you've got electronic knowledge Thompson's website might help you repair the amp http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/bash_amp.htm . If not you send it to Klipsch and get it back like it was, or you send it to Elliot Sanchez, elliot-tronics.com(eliot4113@yahoo.com), and he upgrades the weak components to military specs. He fixed mine and they sound great.

You can have any number of parts fail, relays, power supplys, solder joints, and on and on. Good luck with your repairs. The $119 was worth it to me to get my Promedia Ultra 5.1s back sounding better than ever. I would of course be happy to see anyone divulge their knowledge here. I just don't see anyone giving up the secrets of their trade for grins;)

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

I am having a similar problem but my sub works fine but my satellites stopped working. I too wiggled the white bash chip but no sound comes back to the satellites. To be honest, I really don't want to invest anymore money into this set that is known to fail on a regular basis. I've read some have had their amp fixed 3 times. That's crazy.

Be careful sending to Eliot sanchez he has had my amp for 4 months... Won't return emails... Paid in full up front Via paypal as per his terms... Next phone call is going to be to the Texas attorney generals office....

Hi,send me a private message with your contact iinformation I think
your e-mails went to my spam folder, I have fixed plenty amps for a
lot of people in the past 3 years and my business is to help people and
not to scam them, you could have just googled elliot-tronics and found
my site and my phone number is right there and talkd to me instead of
posting this and make me look like a scammer....

Regards,

Elliott

I just purchased the pro-media 4.1 system from a guy that used it for 2 years so it looks like I was on of the lucky few to get an amp that can stand the test of time! But after reading all these comments about the amp failing me being me I just had to open it up and see why. Im not to knowledgeable on electronic components so I dont know whats good components and whats not but what I saw inside was frightening.

The 2 zip ties and plastic spacers as seen in this picture http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/R12-700x525.jpg were melted through and broken! Also the fuse holder and the metal that goes over the mosfets are blackened! I took my amp out of the box after using the system for about 10 min at normal listening volumes and the metal was still very very hot.

I also noticed that the mosfets are connected to what I would assume is a heatsink but the heatsink never attaches to the rear panel of the amplifier! To me this seems like a huge design flaw as heatsinks are meant to transfer heat to the fresh cool air around them. Well when the heatsink isnt touching fresh cool outside air because it is stuck inside a box where the heat that is generated can't escape like in these klipsch amps then the heat sinks can no longer do their job. Am I mistaken or shouldnt the heat sinks be connected to the back panel of the amplifier so the heat can transfer to the cool fresh air at the back?

What I did for a cheap fix was add a fan on the inside of the box to HOPEFULLY suck in some air from the port and blow fresh air over the heat sinks. I really want to just make new heatsinks that attach to the back panel.

• 2 weeks later...

Promedia 5.1 THX. Mine went down shortly after the warranty went out. Basically it just stopped transmitting sound to the speakers, though I could still receive sound through the headphone jack. Then, now probably 4 years ago, I searched these boards and found that is was a serious problem that Klipsch was not going to do a recall on. Aside from the sub/amp unit the speakers work fine every where else. My computer has since been upgraded again and I would like to do something about this unit. Either with replacing the sub/amp with something comparable or perhaps getting it fixed.

I have somewhat disassembled it and at this point wouldn't be too sure on being able to put it back the way it was, though all the parts are there. If someone had a parts list and schematics of what it would need to bring life back into the unit I would be willing to take it on. I have a background in communications-electronics, so not a big deal, though I may be a bit rusty at it.

I hear that perhaps installing a cooling system will also improve its life expectancy. Perhaps installing a fan and spacers on the back board to the box unit would also be apropos.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1268387&page=9 looong thread

http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/bash_amp.htm schematics

http://www.elliot-tronics.com/ where I got mine fixed better than new

http://www.sybesmas.com/home.html where Klipsch now sends it's customers for repairs to the Promedia. This was their reply to my email asking about their service:

Thank you for contacting us. Our flat rate repair is $120 plus return shipping/handling. We retain a $50 deposit up front and the remainder is due upon completion of the repair. We typically do not disclose what specifically is done to the repair but we do carry a 90 warranty on the unit. If you choose to have unit repaired, please send to the address below, be sure to include your contact information as well. Thank you

Stacy Trott
Office Manager
Sybesmas Electronics
581 Ottawa Ave
Ste 100
Holland, MI 49423
800-456-4265x107

This has been an ongoing issue with the 5.1 series. I am now working on my fourth amp that has been recently repaired by Klipsch. I have two original 5.1 subs along with an ultra that just went haywire recently. Only reason I have a working one is because my mother just got this amp repaired (again) and someone got her some Bose computer speakers, so she sent me this one (#4 for me). If anyone can detail the longevity of Klipsch amps, it is me. It's not very long in other words. There is good reason why they only give you a 90-day warranty, they are still using the same trash parts that were in the original to begin with. I am really trying not to bash (no pun intended) the company here but Klipsch had to know that there was an issue with the amp a very long time ago. I have to admit that the Ultra version did last a bit longer, but here I am again with another broken down amp. Considering the reputation of the company, this should have been some speakers that were to last a decade or more. Sadly, this is not even close to being the case.

***Note to Klipsch*** As good as these speakers sound, you did a horrible job on reliability. Even though you knew there were issues with the promedias, and I don't see how you couldn't possibly know, you did little to nothing to make these things more durable. If this is the best you can do, it's probably best that you continue, for the mostpart, stay out of the PC market.

This has been an ongoing issue with the 5.1 series. I am now working on my fourth amp that has been recently repaired by Klipsch. I have two original 5.1 subs along with an ultra that just went haywire recently. Only reason I have a working one is because my mother just got this amp repaired (again) and someone got her some Bose computer speakers, so she sent me this one (#4 for me). If anyone can detail the longevity of Klipsch amps, it is me. It's not very long in other words. There is good reason why they only give you a 90-day warranty, they are still using the same trash parts that were in the original to begin with. I am really trying not to bash (no pun intended) the company here but Klipsch had to know that there was an issue with the amp a very long time ago. I have to admit that the Ultra version did last a bit longer, but here I am again with another broken down amp. Considering the reputation of the company, this should have been some speakers that were to last a decade or more. Sadly, this is not even close to being the case.

***Note to Klipsch*** As good as these speakers sound, you did a horrible job on reliability. Even though you knew there were issues with the promedias, and I don't see how you couldn't possibly know, you did little to nothing to make these things more durable. If this is the best you can do, it's probably best that you continue, for the mostpart, stay out of the PC market.

Check out your state's Consumer Protection office: http://www.consumeraction.gov/state.shtml

Some states have something called an "implied warranty", which essentially means that regardless of what the written warranty for a product says, the manufacturer must ensure that a product does what it was designed to do. You might even consider taking Klipsch to small claims court. Chances are that it would cost Klipsch way more to send a representative to your state than to refund your money. See this: http://consumerist.com/345963/suing-big-companies-in-small-claims-court-is-fun-and-easy

Also, some states require that when a repair for electronics item is done (outside of warranty), that the manufacturer or whoever is contracted to do the repair to give you back the parts which were replaced. This way you can see what is wrong with the product. https://www.ufcu.org/learning/home/remodeling/repair_guides/electronics.php

My perspective, having owned one for about 6 years, had most of the problems, read all the threads, is that the only real solution, and probably least expensive in the long run in terms of time and money, is to get away from the amp and it's issues. As someone told me once, "You can't polish a turd".

I've recently, with a little dealing, bought a new Yamaha RX-V365 receiver and Paradigm PDR-8 sub for $330. It sounds significantly better than the original system and hopefully I will continue to enjoy Klipsch satellites for many years to come.

Having said that, best of luck to your efforts and this thread.

Mike

Be careful sending to Eliot sanchez he has had my amp for 4 months... Won't return emails... Paid in full up front Via paypal as per his terms... Next phone call is going to be to the Texas attorney generals office....

I sent my amp to Elliot back in Oct and although I've not gotten it back just yet, he has been very communicative on every email I've sent him. The last email response I got from him said he would be sending it back this week and he would send a tracking number. I've been pleased with the service from him so far and if it works better than a Klipsch repair, that I've done twice while in warranty, then I'll be very happy.

EDIT: I just got my Amp back from Elliott. It works great and the whole process was very smooth. I highly recommend his services as he not only repairs the Amp but upgrades it to keep it from happening again.

I guess I got lucky - mine have been going strong for over 6 years and I have never been easy on them. Considering I went through 5 sets of Logitech Z560s, I would have to say these have been amazing. Maybe mine were just built right - Hey Klipsch, you want to work something out to see what went right with mine?

Another way to get Music from your computer, is to hook up a receiver with Regular Book Shelf Speakers to your Computer !

I notice that folks buy the Computer speakers and then wonder why - after Prolonged High Volumes that they don't work as well. If you want or need to have this as your main setup..........Get Bigger Speakers that can handle the Load.............

JMHO.

It's not a problem with the speakers Bill. The Bash amp fails. Mine weren't used for Prolonged High Volumes. I love them for their clear accurate sound and their ability to be loud on occasion. Another virtue is they don't take up a lot of space like your idea. For their relatively low price, even with a repair by Elliot after five years of use, they are the best computer speakers to be found. I hope for many more years after Eliot's refurbishment.