S-2 vs RS-42 --- Pairing with F2 and C2

GreggyVT

Question on pairing Reference Surrounds with Synergy Fronts.

I've got the F2s, and C2. I also currently have the S1 rears that I bought for $140. I can get a PAIR of RS-42s for $275. Or, I can buy a pair of S-2s for over $350 (yikes!)

What should I do? Should I return the S1s and buy the RS-42s for 2x as much (140 vs 275)?

Should I return the S1s and buy the S2s at over $350? (not my preference)

Should I just STICK with the S1s and not buy anything?

Also, will I really notice a difference between the S1 and the RS-42s? - is it worth the extra $140?

That said, how will the RS-42s blend with the F2s and C2? Will there be a tonal mismatch issue? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Yes by all means keep the S1's or return and buy the S2's and tell me where I can get those RS-42's for $275.00. But seriously, you would be fine with any one of those pairs. Buy the best you can afford. Surrounds are not as important to be as timbre-matched as your front soundstage unless you listen to music mostly in 5 channel stereo. Again, where to buy the 42's?

Bill

Wish I got this a few hours ago! I ended up getting the RS-42s for $225 shipped, no tax at 6ave.com. They have a promotion going on where you "name your own price". I kept offering prices, first $275, they accepted, then $250, they accepted, then $225, they accepted. I couldn't get lower than that though. I figured for $225, it was a steal. I'll probably ship back the S1s since I don't have the place for a 7.1 setup yet. Or should I keep them around for future use?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm a newb when it comes to home theater.

That said, I've got another question on pairing.

Once I get my RS-42s in, should I buy the reference RB-61s, or the B2 or B3 Synergy series? Again, I'm worried about timber matching/tonal matching my F2s and C2. Will the RB-61s work OK with this setup, or should I really go B2 or B3?

Wish I got this a few hours ago! I ended up getting the RS-42s for $225 shipped, no tax at 6ave.com. They have a promotion going on where you "name your own price". I kept offering prices, first $275, they accepted, then $250, they accepted, then $225, they accepted. I couldn't get lower than that though. I figured for $225, it was a steal. I'll probably ship back the S1s since I don't have the place for a 7.1 setup yet. Or should I keep them around for future use?

yup, i was doing the same thing. got an email from 6ave with a link to buy the rs42 for $275. i am gonna put in an alert for $200 and see if that works. if not, i'll just raise to $225. hopefully i'll get a positive email later today. even at $275, it's a great deal.

I'm assuming you got them using the name your price promotion? I figured it was over, but you do have a week to buy... Good, glad you got it! I also had a chance to get the RB-61s for 225, but I passed it up - I'll wait for another deal later. 1 pair of RS-42s at 225 is enough for now!