Can Heresy III speakers be too close to nearby walls?

A good point was made by the forum ... about possibly compromising the bass-quality ... if elevating H-3 speakers above the floor level. Are there similar issues of losing sound quality from having H-3 speakers too close to the walls ... especially if sticking the speakers as close to the corners of the wall as possible?

The rear of the speakers would be kind of facing the corner of the walls. Should there be a certain number of inches of space between the rear (and the sides) of the speaker ... and the adjacent walls ... or is this a moot point as long as the speakers do not make contact with the walls?

The rear of the speakers would be kind of facing the corner of the walls. Should there be a certain number of inches of space between the rear (and the sides) of the speaker ... and the adjacent walls

It doesn't matter, whatever to your liking since they are a sealed speaker you can play with the location. They sound best where YOU like how they sound.

James

I'm going to find out when my custom rosewood Heresys get delivered in the next few weeks. My guess (and it's just a guess) is most speakers need a little "air" around them for the best imaging. Having said that, horn speakers are not the very best at imaging so they are not as placement dependant (That's a good thing). The Heresys were designed to be placed on the floor (I believe) so that is where they might sound best. Corners would not be my first choice. I would give them a little space and keep them out of corners if at all possible. On the other hand, move them around and give it a try, you never know, it might work in your room.

Thanx, Russ

horn speakers are not the very best at imaging

keep them out of corners if at all possible

I'd have to disagree with both those statements. La Scalas, in particular, image very well, impressing even Sam Tellig from Stereophile when he reviewed a pair of La Scala IIs.

As for corner placement, that's one of PWK's main concepts, since he felt that corner placement would give better efficiency, equal to using a larger speaker. Many people feel that other brands of speakers are better kept out of corners, but that does not apply to Klipsch speakers nearly as much.

Islander,

I'll stand by my imaging statement until I hear otherwise, it's just my opinion, no problem (I'm often wrong). Sam Tellig must have not been overly impressed, he added super tweeters and then sold the LaScalas shortly after he got them. He must have liked them but he turned them over rather quickly, not too uncommon for reviewers. If I had the room, I'd have a pair for sure. Two pair stacked in a really large room would be awesome!

Thanx, Russ

P.S. I listen in the near field, that may not be the best place for a system like LaScalas (might need some room to blend).

Didn't Tellig say (in a follow-up or a response to a letter to the editor) that the reason he got rid of them was that he had just one really good area at home to audition speakers for reviews, and he got tired of moving the heavy LaScala IIs out of the way?