Road trip...

Marvel

OK, not so far, really, but JC made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Shown is a pair of JBL 2365A horns [ 2 inch throats, 60 x 40 ] We figure these would mate well with a Klipsch K69 or P.Audio BMD750. They are a smidge over 31 inches square.

And they fit nicely on the EV midbass horns, each with an EVM-12L woofer. Those cabs are a little beat up, but if they work, I could build some new ones of clean them up. They were used in a p.a. setup.

We thought these would go very well with some MWM bottoms. I plan on building singles for each side. The volume I don't need, and I only lose maybe 3db by not having two on a side.

Bruce

post-7149-13819465440724_thumb.jpg

Here's one of the EV woofers. A 16 lb. magnet! The builder had them held in place with screws [*-)] Obvious that JC didn't build them!

Not sure when these were made, but they don't look like the newer EVM-12L woofers.

post-7149-13819465441704_thumb.jpg

If Im not mistaken EV made the evm-12l back in the 60s or 70s, thats only coming from an ev dealer that think he knows the intier history of EV, but the newer ones are reproduction. I can get you used ones(maybe they are new)for around 200.00 or i Can get you older ones like that which is new old stock for around 300.00. Long story of Zach Wylde wanting those back in production for his set up.

nick

nice set up by the way would love to get a chance to hear something like this.

What does a 60x40 31" horn do that a 60x40 16" horn doesn't do? Thats assuming all else equal.

My setup is JBL 2441 w Community 60x40s but the horn is much smaller overall. Just wondering what I'm missing with the smaller horn I guess. Those you just scored are biggies!

• Moderators

OK, not so far, really, but JC made an offer I couldn't refuse.

JC tends to do that, He is like the Audio Godfather....but in a good way !

I am glad you got them Bruce your going to love it, when people hear about something like this they think LOUD, it's not about loud, it's about how BIG they sound at all volumes. Glad to hear about this, you have been talking about something like this for a while now. [Y]

If Im not mistaken EV made the evm-12l back in the 60s or 70s,

My son's Mesa Boogie Mark III (I think that's it) has an EVM-12L exactly like the ones I have. Mesa didn't introduce those until the mid '80s if I remember correctly. One of the Mark III series in the late '90s has the same EV, not the re-release version.

Glad to hear about this, you have been talking about something like this for a while now. Yes

And it has been mostly talk, for sure.

It will still be awhile before I really get moving on this, but inertia will take over after a bit. [:|] So far I have a pair of K-33s for the MWMs, these mid cabinets with the EVM-12L and the two JBL horns. I'll have to start cutting wood one of these days.

I'll still need 2" drivers and crossovers, and some way to pretty the whole thing up.

You are right that it isn't about loud, but how clean and smooth it is. I'm rarely listening over 95db, and then not for very long.

What does a 60x40 31" horn do that a 60x40 16" horn doesn't do? Thats assuming all else equal.

My setup is JBL 2441 w Community 60x40s but the horn is much smaller overall. Just wondering what I'm missing with the smaller horn I guess. Those you just scored are biggies!

controls down to a lower frequency. Like the K510 and K402...

Great find Bruce. I have K69A hooked up to my JBL horns and they sound great. You will need to eventually do some CD eq for flat range out to the edge of hearing. I'm going to use mine as high end for my concert setup, these will be long throw horns on top of the MCM stacks! WOOOW

My son's Mesa Boogie Mark III (I think that's it) has an EVM-12L exactly like the ones I have. Mesa didn't introduce those until the mid '80s if I remember correctly. One of the Mark III series in the late '90s has the same EV, not the re-release version.

It's a Mark III "blue stripe" from '88 or so iirc.

The amp doesn't really start to sound gooooooood until it gets cranked up a bit.

The single EV with the mesa tube power behind it was enough to officially disturb the peace a few weeks ago but I had already shut it down before the cops showed up so they don't know it was me [6]

I thought Mesa were one of the ones that made their own speakers, well at least I am glad to see they used a decent speaker. Wait a min, my buddy's mesa uses cleations. Maybe like some they used different speakers for different cabs. This is another reason why I get sucked into the madness for which Micheal calls it(hope I spelled his name right). But the mystery of the history and what nots so darn interesting.

Bruce. When you wish to change from an avatar with your GF....that one with the big horn is pretty cool.

Now I just need to get some MSM horns off in the mail to SF......gotta make some space....

jc

those JBL 2365A horns are interesting...I bought 2 pairs and wound up giving them away..so I'm yet to hear a set.

We'll let you know how they work after the June 13 Indyfest. I just got a Crown Com-Tech 200 amp from HarryO that has a module for the CD horn eq built in. So I'll be running those horns with K69A for long throw HF in the park that day.

M

When you wish to change from an avatar with your GF....that one with the big horn is pretty cool.

I agree, but I am rather partial to the one with my gf. [;)]

I am also going to assume that these won't sound squawky at the levels at which I listen. All the parts are coming together, but it will be awhile yet.

Michael,

I will certainly be interested in hearing your take on the 2365s. I'm also pretty sure you will have them cranked a bit more than what I use.

Bruce