Road trip...

Marvel

Now that is a back volume. I think a 30W needs 60 cubic feet per woof so this is STILL a small box for those woofers.

Sorry to highjack you post.

Back to EVM10L... Nice find but shouldn't that really be a EVM 10M? "L" stands for low and "M" for mid. I guess the horn on the mid bass is a bit small for that horn. It will work but it may not be optimum. The 10 L has a longer coil but is heavier. If the bass MB horn was larger to get down lower it would be a better match. The cut off of that MB horn is about 800 Hz by looking at the mouth dimensions. JBL claims that it is 350 Hz Fc but that is an aggressive spec if you push it very hard. If you use an MCM below this you won't be using this MB horn for much of the spectrum. It would help keep the CD horn out of the danger zone with high excursion.

You should be able to go down to at least 800 Hz on the JBL horn depending on the driver. Make sure you use a large format compression driver with a 3 " voice coil if you want to use that horn down low.

post-20592-13819465666684_thumb.jpg

From JBL's website

SPECIFICATIONS

HORN
MODEL:
2360A 2365A 2366A
Throw: Short
Medium
Long
HORIZONTAL
COVERAGE:
Angle
Degrees ( -6 dB):
90°
(+5°,-20 )
60°
(+10°,10°)
50°
(+20,° -10°)
Average
Range:
Hz - 16kHz
Hz - 16kHz
1000Hz
- 16kHz
VERTICAL
COVERAGE:
Angle
Degrees (- 6 dB):
50°
(+20,° -22°)
40°
( +18°, 13°)
277°
(+8°,-7°)
Directivity
Index (D1):
11.5dB
(+3,-3dB)
16dB
(+6,-3.4dB)
14.5dB
(+15-1.5dB)
Directivity
Factor (Q):
( +14, -7)
( + 6,-3.4)
( + 12,-8)
Average
Range:
500Hz-
16 kHz
500Hz-
16 kHz
1000Hz-
16 kHz
Usable
Low Frequency Limit:
Hz
Hz
Hz
(using
2427, 2445, 2450):
Hz
Hz
Hz
(using
2485):
Hz
Hz
Hz

Back to EVM10L... Nice find but shouldn't that really be a EVM 10M? "L" stands for low and "M" for mid.

PT,

They are 12 inchers and not 10. I'm going to measure these woofs in the cabs to see how they will work. JC had thought of using them on some MWMs with the JBL on top. I'm looking at the K69/P.Audio driver to go on the JBL. I just noticed the P.Audio just went up in price... Hmmmm, may have to keep looking.

I am not at all against building some other acbs for the EVs, that would work better. I only need them to cover maybe 2 1/2 octaves.

Bruce

I thought it was B=bass, L= lead. Never saw any with M designation.

I'm going to use my 2365/K69A right along with my MSM, with the Crown ComTech Amp in CD horn eq mode, how would that be for extra long throw coverage?

Ya know Michael,
As an old fart I have to quit relying on my memory so much and have one more cup of coffee. Actually when my allergies are kickin my brain shuts down. Gotta lay off the brown. [:)]

EV did make a 10 m, see attached, but since we are supposed to be talking about 12" drivers this is not the case for the letter m. There were 12S and L's. S version may have been for System but the EDS say Lead. L was considered Lead guitar, so you are correct oh wise one! I was probably thinking of EVM 15B's and L's. Sorry for the confusion.

EVM-10M Series II EDS.pdf

Thump, I've heard stories that all the EVM's were manufactured the same, but the ones that tested good to a higher freuency were granted the L (lead) designation.

Bruce, whether you use a 10 or 12, you're sure to enjoy having a mid bass between whatever LF bins you use and those horns. Consider the mighty MCM1900 system. It was first designed as a three way (I have brochures and price lists that prove it), but fairly quickly the 4 way was announced with the MSSM mid-bass cabinet. It works in some very critical frequencies 100-500 if memory serves. The click of the bass drum, most of the bass guitar upper registers are here. It is a necessary link between the large horn LF system and the MSM (or JBL) HF section. Like Thump suggested, that JBL horn has a great pattern but starts getting pretty dicey the lower you go. Same deal with the K69A- it's really a pro cinema TWEETER driver (usually with 1133/K402 as midrange), just the Jubilee guys started using it as a mid/tweeter. It won't survive 400-500 Hz for long in a pro application.

M

Hi Bruce,

Yes 12"... I got it now. I will just crawl back into my man cave and take a nap.

So what is the bandwidth you are targeting?

You will definately get shifts in the quality of sound by how you fashion the midrange crossover points and levels. If you are running no more that 90 dB you can push the midrange very low but to design it for maximum SPL the cut off will be higher. I suspect that the mid will ramp up in response at 6 -9 dB per octave until cone break up mode. It may be a smoother response but it won't be flat. This isn't a problem if you add a series capacitor at a lower frequency to EQ. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Now that is a back volume. I think a 30W needs 60 cubic feet per woof so this is STILL a small box for those woofers.

Wow! I'll bet you could break up some kidney stones in there...

Wow! I'll bet you could break up some kidney stones in there...

Holistic Audio!

PT, I'm not sure yet what I will aim for. I am pretty sure I can get the EV up high enough to not stress the K69's bottom range. And please, certainly no need to crawl back to your cave. I barely know what I am talking about. It's just that the price was right for these, so I couldn't pass them up.

I rarely get much over 90db... 100db and I would be crying for mercy.

Bruce

DTel,

The person's name might be Pat. He or she almost looks photoshopped into the picture. Minime might be a better name against those woofers.

That reminds me of a time when I was doing application engineering at EV. I got the technical calls that the CS people couldn't answer. You wouldn't believe some of the calls. I don't know how CS people do their job. I had to start drinking after every shift. Anyhow a contractor was doing a high priced house in the Denver area. He had 6 EVX 1800 woofers that he was going to mount to the floor. He had 3 Macro 3600's on these woofers and was using the crawl space for the back box volume. He wanted me to calculate the optimum port dimension. I came up with a diameter of around 5 feet! I told him I couldn't guarantee the structural integrity of the house when he let those babies fly. I would guess he had some cracked walls if he worked them. That wasn't the wierdest story though.

Sanity is in the eye of the beholder...