Having fun with an 'impure' audio path...

Coytee

Seeing as Travis has my dbx 5bx, I fished out my 3bx and dbx120 for some kicks & grins. Wife got home and we went outside to transplant two trees (how many of YOU transplant evergreens and Rose of Sharon for the heck of it?...thankfully my backhoe made it much easier)

Anyways, no time to dial the 120 other than simply putting in the approximate area of the middle and leaving it.

I've had the 3bx (original style with the wooden sides) for ... gads... 28 years? I'm thinking I got it in 1981 so I guess that's about right. Gave it to a friend for a couple years...his wife chased all his audio stuff out of the house so he asked me if I wanted it back. I thought that was pretty classy of him although I would not have blamed him for selling it.

This 120 seems a bit different than my memory of its predecessor (the 110? or was it the 100? "boom box", the VERY original)

Anyways, I recall the original (which I still have) adding some GUT punch to my LaScalas so I was intrigued to hear the 120 with the Jubilees. Either it doesn't add anywhere near the gut punch the original version does or maybe it was just my LaScalas...maybe again, I need to play around more. This 120 has some knobs for messing around with several different frequencies and isn't as plug &play as the original version. It's probably just a more smooth/refined effect than the original. I'll need to get it out soon & play with it too.

Regardless... it's plumbed into the tape loop. Oh, that's another thing... Out goes to in, right? Well... I had that done on my Peach however, much to my dismay, the sound difference was NOTHING when I had the 3bx maxed... I then maxed the 120 and STILL, NO differrence...none really... when I flipped from tape in to tape out.

Hmm... I DO know this equipment well enough to know that SOMETHING should be happening... I wonder...

Soooooooooooooooooooo, I pull the stack a bit further from the wall where I can see a bit more easily (and have more light available to me) and what do I notice?

(sigh)... some oaf has the tape output of the Peach plumbed into the input of the 3bx, just like it's supposed to be. This same oaf however, has the output of the 3bx going to the HT input of the Peach and not to the tape loop input.

Problem fixed and been dinkering around since.

sure has more flashy lights than I've had recently.

Specifically because I do not think you are really interested... here's the long answer to your question [6]

Roughly 2 1/2 years ago on November 30, the wife & I set out to drive into town & go shopping. About 15 miles. As it happened, I was on the couch with my socks on, shoes off. A wasp had climbed up my sock. Wasps on November 30 are usually very lethargic and this one was also.

Walked downstairs to put shoes on & go to car...and bam... stung in my calf. I shake my leg, out falls Mr. Wasp and Mr. Wasp meets a violent meeting with my shoe. Well... good thing we were heading into town because as I went into town my lips started to tingle, my entire body started to itch (like crazy I might add), I had hives and was getting short of breath. I ended up in the emergency room and they stuck me with maybe 5 or 7 viles of 'stuff' which did its magic and halted the reaction I was having to the sting.

Seeing as we live so far out of town, I'm usually the ONLY one to cut the fields, I also do various things with my backhoe around here (one exciting event I had was one night when I was digging up a stump, I discovered there was a hornets (or would that be yellow jackets) nest inside it... about 9 stings later, I just ran and got the heck outta dodge.... unknown to me, I THINK this is probably when I crossed the threshold of a sting being more than an 'ouch')

So, now I'm fixed and can breath again. I'm realizing that I'm now at risk of stings and getting stings out in the country is going to happen. I decide to call an allergist and go. What was interesting is during the process of pricking my back to find out all i was allergic to (and by the way, pine pollen, cedars both of which populate the farm heavily, were on my bad list)

Anyways... what was intersting was, out of the stinging critters (SOB's actually), it turns out I'm the most sensative to yellow jackets and hornets. Your friendly neighborhood bee falls in next and interstingly, the lowly wasp was my LEAST reactive situation....yet, it was the wasp that landed me in the emergency room. I'm counting my lucky stars it was a wasp for had it been one of the other SOB's, it might have been a bit more exciting for me.

So, the decision was made by me to start the allergy/sting process. After you go through the startup proceedure of multiple watered down shots, slowly graduating to higher concentrations and then higher dosages...it ends up becoming a monthly shot to help keep the body calm about those antigens. I have to do this for 5 years.

I also happen to be allergic to cats and I've known that for 40 years. It seems, I also tested "positive' though evidently, not very high for DOGS. Well... I have 5 indoor dogs and 2 indoor cats!

I figured, if I'm going to be here once a month for 5 years, I asked the doc if they could add dogs/cats to my pollin type allergies. he said that was a little weird but sure, they could do it. What he neglected to tell me at this specific junction was, the sting maintainence shots becomes a single monthly event and I have to sit in his office for an hour after my shots, to make sure I do not have an adverse reaction. What he didn't tell me is, the OTHER type of allergy shots are not monthly, but WEEKLY [:|] Now I get to go there every Monday for my 'allergy' shot (pollen/dogs/cats/wife?) and on some weeks, I get to go twice since the other trip is my monthlty visit for stings. They will NOT do the stings and allergy shots on the same day so I have to go back and do that on seperate days of the same week. My understanding is, they (insurance company) won't allow that and still pay. Maybe I'm wrong...regardless... it's a pain in the arm!!!

So....all of that to FINALLY get the point out that for the last 2 years, my annual sinus problems and my annual allergy problems have been GREATLY reduced. I won't say they are gone but they're 99% better than they use to be.

Next question....!! [;)] [:P]

Richard,

On a serious note, I have had lot's of friends go through what you have gone through. I was on a canoe trip in Canada while still in high school. A good friend, who was on the trip with me, got stung by a small bee, and went into mild shock. He was ok, but we were 20 miles over the border with no radios or other form of communication.

I've had more yellow jacket stings than I care to remember (one is enough), and one of them made my arm swell up and go numb.

Back to the topic... Macintosh Audio has some differerent dbx products for sale in their flooby dust section. That would be really close to you.

Bruce

Macintosh Audio has some differerent dbx products for sale in their flooby dust section. That would be really close to you.

Really close is an understatement. Terry & Tom work together on all this stuff. I have never been to Tom's house so I can't say exactly where he lives, Terry's shop (home) is maybe 5-6 miles from my office and I've been there a number of times. He's been out to my place as well.

I got my dbx 400 route selector from Tom. Interestingly, a month or so after I got it, he called me and asked if I'd fax him the manual for it... seems he'd gotten another one in and didn't have a manual. I suppose they sell for a few more dollars when you have the manual [:P]

Here I was thinking you had become a DBX expert, for shame. How does Travis like the 5BX-DS? I always preferred running a pair of 3BX-DS models dedicating one to each channel (using Y adapters) that way left and right could be dialed in separately. The VCA's are mono triggered anyway. The 5 independently adjustable bands of impact restoration are worth the admission alone on the 5BX-DS. The expansion circuits are downward only unfortunately, but with today's over-saturated recordings pushed to the distortion limits the compression is useful.

The other day I looked at the DBX BXIII at the thrift store about an hour away from home. They were asking the mighty sum of $24

Got home and saw what that thing was selling for on Ebay and had a kaniption. But too far to go back for it on the chance it might not even be there or its broken. My gut said "buy it, buy it" as I sized it up and I should have.