Bloze jokes?

LNEtubaPLYR

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments on the Bose "TRUTH" paper:

By my count, there are seven incorrect uses of the word "it's" in this paper. "It's" is either a contraction of "it is" or "it has" and is not the possessive form of the pronoun "it".

Under "THE COLD HARD NUMBERS (PART TWO):", we read, "...total continuous wattage of root-means(sic)-squared power...". Despite the writer's best intention, this is a meaningless term. There is no such quantity as "rms power". You won't find it in any electrical engineering or physics textbook or in the National Electrical Code.

Unfortunately, you will find "rms power" used by many power amplifier manufacturers to rate their product's output power. The correct (and only) term to use is continuous average sinewave power.

"But I'm using a true rms voltmeter and ammeter and rms voltage times rms current (in amperes) equals rms power" you might say. Close, but no cigar. The product of rms voltage and rms amperes is average power expressed in watts. What we want to measure is the equivalent DC heating effect of the AC power from the power amp and that is expressed as average power.

The writer also states, "...the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) created a regulation standard recently in which all devices have to be rated...". This "recent" standard is known by the FTC as The Amplifier Rule and was promulgated on May 3,1974(39FR 15387). There probably have been more recent regulations issued covering powered loudspeakers and automotive electronics, but those covering consumer electronics power amplifier rating disclosures are almost 28 years old.

Under "Bose and the patent system", the writer states, "...their patents are so unoriginal that they've never even TRIED to sue someone for infringing upon them." With just a little basic web searching, I found that Bose successfully sued JBL for infringing on their patent #5,714,721.

Amar Bose's acoustical research at MIT showed that only about 11% of the sound arriving at the listener's ears in a concert hall was direct sound and the remainder was reverberant energy in the form of delayed reflections from the room's surfaces. The Bose 901 (remember that twenty-foot wide piano sound?) was his (IMHO) misguided attempt to re-create the acoustical properties of a concert hall in one's living room.

Having owned Klipschorns for 25 years, I'm no fan of Bose products. I'm in agreement with most of the writer's objective and some of his subjective arguments. However, if one is going to invest the time and energy to write nine pages of the "TRUTH", you'd best be advised to have both your grammar usage correct and your facts straight. Otherwise, your arguments, no matter how valid, will lack over-all credibility.

cwm40.gif Wasn't Major "Bose" the host of the Original Amateur Hour... before Ted Mack...

Okay, so it was "Bowes" but the thought seemed to fit even if the spelling didn't. Yep, I am really that old!cwm4.gif HornEd

PS: Arkytype, your "Bose Expose" was most welcome and started me down memory lane and the amateur world of loudspeaker belief. Glad you spoke up and made lace of that less-than-learned roll of paper! H.E.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-22-2002 at 09:19 PM

Good to see some fun on B0$e's back.To me B0$e is...

Better sales thru brainwash

Their claim to fame? AcousticMe$$

In auido hell there is one brand on sale...B0$e,and all damned are forced to listen to AcousticMe$$ systems an hour/day!

Most polled say they prefer to have spikes driven thru them instead! Go figure

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TIME: Afternoon, June 2000

MISSION: To listen to Bose speakers for myself

SUMMARY: Located one parking space, parked my car, and entered the store. I made a bee line for the mens room, and then the audio area at the back of the store. Upon arrival at the audio listening area, I found the following speakers. Bose 701 and 901's, Pinnacle series, and JBL series (both hi-end). Source components were a $1000 Denon receiver and a Denon 5-DVD/CD changer. I was, by myself, able to listen to all of the speakers by myself without interuption (this room is BURIED!)

I can't keep up this FBI report up much longer, so I will be myself. I had rock, classical, and electronic music. The JBL HLS series was precise and sharp. The Pinnacle's were smooth and very "musical" The Bose were rather muddy and muffled. They were almost LAZY about the sound. What really killed them was rim shots and other "precise" sounds. They also had NO BASS, especially the 901's, as they have 9, 4.5" drivers.

Overall, the Bose would be fine if you only listened to talk radio. They were too expensive to justify the preformance and, well, they sounded like a good speaker with a blanket thrown over it. Compared to an equally priced Pinnacle tower and the JBL HLS series, they sucked.

I must say that I was a week away from buying a pair of Bose 301's for $318 at Circuit City. However, I heard the JBL HLS 610's and bought them for $150. I would have never gotten hooked on horns if it wasn't for them. I will also say that I was comparing the JBL's to the Klipsch Synergy bookshelf speaker with the 6.5" woofer and choose the JBL's because they sounded better. The Reference Series beats my JBL's big time, so I guess there is no comparison between the Synergy and Reference Series. IMHOSmile.gif.

i was at The Home Theater Store today buying a new HDTV... i ventured into the BOSE room to look at a TV i was looking at. I was scared! The sound was pure and blissful... then i saw the BW's in the corners Smile.gif whew, thought BOSE might actually have something going haha

(also wanted to get some 8 lb wall mount speaker stands... cheapest ones were $139... yeah, looking at the WB-1's some more Smile.gif)

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

or like buying a $2000 HDT and spending $2500 on a POS Bose speaker system.... Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

The real bad people in hell would have to listen to Yorx, GPX or some Soundesign's with the cones kicked in.

If you get good brownie points in hell, then you get to graduate up to Bose with a JC Penney MCS Series Reciever.

It's hell, no matter how you look at it.

and if your a real dick in hell, they make you listen to the Carpenter's on a wore out antique walkman.

I guess I'm saying there is probably a point system in Hell.

'Better sound through Satan'.

An interesting concept, Mike, except hell as a concept is no where to be found in the Bible... only in the myth surrounding it. The closest there is... is "Sheol" which is tantamount to Purgatory... which fits your analogy even better... as the Bose minions prey for our fallen comrades.

Lead on, Mike, your posts give me heart that the fallen shall rise to have their Bose affliction eKlipsched. cwm35.gif HornEd

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

My local church has Bose speakers in it.

Eek.gif

yall don't all wear white tennis shoes and drink lots of Kool-Aid do yall? Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Tech Help s>

No, I actually don't attend church (yes, I will be banised to hellSmile.gif) but I have been in there and there are big, black Bose speakers in the corners. I think it's a Methodost Church, not 100% sure though. It's one of those churches that does little conferences and other community events, so both a church and community center.

Oh, they all took a trip to Jonestown in Guyana and I haven't seen any of the members for a while, wonder where they went?

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

Hi! I'm Jim Jones your Bose Representative, would you like some Kool-Aid before the Demo?

LMAO! Glad you got my joke Wink.gif, so many times my jokes are...err... not gotton haha Biggrin.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Yes, I made that same SORT of joke a few weeks ago with someone else, but they didn't get it Frown.gif. It was when I was on a Twin Otter, which is the airplane that the "peace keepers" or whatever flew in on to see what was going on in Jonestown. Anyway, they flew in, looked around, and before they got back in the Otter, they all got mowed down by the Jonestown people. I don't know what they did with the airplane. Anyway, on the flight I was on, I made a Jonestown joke to the pilot (we know each other, so he didn't think I was going to pull a September 11th style move) and he didn't get it, so I had to explain it to him-

We are all not that dumb if we can tell them there fancy person jokes and gets thems!

BOSESmash.gif

Any more Bose jokes?