rolling - first cables, then capacitors, now volume controls

Guest " "

Wondering if anyone has "been there and done that " with volume control rolling.

Most componets use resistive volume controls that work on a carbon coating basis which converts unneeded line signals to heat, some use a stepped approach using high tolerance resistors but still converts unneeded line signals to heat.

The cat's meow apparently are the transformer based or autoformer based volume controls (TVC's) which instead of converting unneeded line signals to heat, change the transformer or autoformers windings ratio resulting in no heat generation. Operating on the same principle as the autoformer in a Heritage crossover network.

I currently use a Django+ (w/ S&B transformers) TVC and is absolutely one of the best pre-amps I have ever owned. Exteremly clean sound.

Second in line (of my preference) is the Juicy Music Merlin. I can honestly say that I really regret selling my Merlin.

first heard on the Django+, but I did pull up a PDF about it (attached) and took a look at the 24 step autoformer and it's what I was wondering about.

There are barebone autoformers out there for use as TVC's which seem to start in price at 139 a pair to 500+ a pair.

Guest David H

Aural Thrills sells a transformer type volume control, its fairly reasonalble price wise, but looks terrible, and his soldering leaves alot to be desired.. Then again he also sells the parts to build your own.

With that first link I really think that you will get 2 used units since used units are pictured. There is even a piece of wire hanging on one post.

I'm assuming you will have to source 24 step volume control switches to wire to these puppys?

Guest " "

"I'm assuming you will have to source 24 step volume control switches to wire to these puppys? "

Yes, there are a few on ebay pretty cheap.

I asked the seller bout the first link and he said they were new...he's been selling these for more than a year that I know of....but he is pretty light on spec's.

Guest " "

in this circut it looks like the resistor serves as a current limiter...rasises the question as to the ratings of the transformer in question.

post-22082-13819465579654_thumb.jpg

Guest " "

The seller indicates that the resistor is needed since the transformer has a very low DCR (10 - 20 ohms).

So this one gets scratched off the list.