Is Coax (Orange) Really Necessary for Digital???

SilverSport

Do I need to have a dedicated Coax cable (Orange) for digital sound or can I use any "coax" cable (red, white, yellow, green blue...)...I am using an older modelHT receiver (Outlaw Audio 1050) for a second room set up...thanks for any help you care to share...

Bill

Guest " "

It depends on the grade of RCA cable and where you are putting it...different devices are capable of different sampling and bit rates.

For example, there are devices that only send 41khz material, there are also devices that send 44khz, 96hz, 192khz. While you might get away with using low end RCA cable for 41khz material, you run the risk of transmission errors or data stream unlocking at 96khz or 192khz.

Likewise there are different bit rates possible depending on the device you are using. For example 16bit, 20bit, 24bit. Same issue.

SO if you are connecting an old CD player that is sending 16bit@41khz, you might get by with low end RCA cable.

But if you are connecting to a sat reciever, computer, etc that can send 24bit at 96khz or 192khz you might have difficulty.

I bought a real nice reciever once for 500 bucks (on the used market it was going for 1500) because the seller had priced it low and stated it did not work at 24bit@196khz. The seller sent me the unit and the cables he was using. It turned out the cable was crap, and when replaced with the correct coax cable, the unit worked just fine at 24bit@192khz.

• Moderators

It HAS to be Orange, it's just the way it is, there's no way around it. Orange has been found to " coax" the signal thru the wire faster and easier that's why it's called coaxial cable ! [:|]

It HAS to be Orange, it's just the way it is, there's no way around it. Orange has been found to " coax" the signal thru the wire faster and easier that's why it's called coaxial cable ! Indifferent

Thanks for the explanation Dtel. Now I need to go out and get all new wires... [:D]

James

c'mon guys...I was just asking for exactly what speakerfritz was saying...I want to be sure I am transferring all the signal I need to...okay...specifcally...

Modern Sony Rear Projection TV...

Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver (no HDMI or Component)...

Sony DVD player...

Klipsch KG 5.5s for now...

I had been told to use the yellow video cable as it would provide the proper transfer but there I go again...(apologies to Ronald Regan)

Bill

Guest " "

"I had been told to use the yellow video cable as it would provide
the proper transfer but there I go again...(apologies to Ronald Regan)"

Yellow rca cable is composite video spec at 75 ohms and double shielded.

Coax ditigal cable is also 75 ohms and is either double sheilded oe quad shielded.

So yes, you can use yellow composite video.

white or red rca cable is single shielded and is not 75 ohm cabling.

you can color the red or white rca cable orange, but changing the color will not make it 75 ohm cabling, nor will it make single shielded cable double shielded or quad shielded.

My orange cables have black arrows on them. I got an explanation for this once but I forgot. But I think what happens if you reverse them that one million volt static charges build up and fry you. So I didn't reverse them.

JJK

Guest " "

My orange cables have black arrows on them. I got an explanation for this once but I forgot. But I think what happens if you reverse them that one million volt static charges build up and fry you. So I didn't reverse them.

JJK

normally...cables with arrows represent cables that have the shield tied to ground only on 1 end...this prevents ground loops...the side where the arrow points to is connected to gain stage.