Heresy's and RF-83's

First off I want to start out saying hey everybody. Been a Klipsch fan for sometime now, and because I made the decision long ago that I wouldn't buy any other kind of speaker I figure I might as well learn as much as I can about Klipsch.

So I'm going to start off with quite possibly a no-brainer question mixed with senseless rambling. My cousin just picked up a set of 1983 Cornwalls, and they sound amazing. I've had my eye on the RF-82/RF-83 series for awhile now. However after listening to the Corn's I am nothing short of impressed. Here is my issue though. Not that I have anything aginst speakers the size of a truck, but I just dont have the room for them plain and simple. I still live in a starter home, and my living room is only 12x14. That being said I started looking at some Heresy's, but he had made it sound like they wouldn't make the cut. I personally think the Heresy's would be able to hold their own in most settings I throw at them. The Cornwalls in his house only run at like 5-10% at all times. Currently I am running a Technics SL1300, and a Yamaha RX-V 2092, and need some primo speakers for the end of the line. I prefer not to run a sub, which is why I was looking at the Heresy's 12" main driver which I think might be enough in themselves. The 2 factors I was trying to consider were first I am running on hardwood floor. Second I am sure though called the little brother of the Cornwalls the Heresy is a sealed enclosure while the Corns are ported. So I'm wondering what to expect when I hear the Heresy's at the Pilgrimage. I've never heard a bad Klipsch, even down to the freaking computer speakers are decent. Feel Free to agree with me on the rambling.

-Mike

Well first off, Welcome to the forum....

Next, turn around and run, this place will ruin you and your bank account....

Still here, well I did warn you.

The thing is the Heresy is a great speaker as is the Cornwall. I do have both but the Heresy doesn't go as deep as the Cornwall, some prefer the Heresy with a sub to help it out. Then your comment that you didn't want to use a sub comes into play. Are you looking at the new Heresy model or one of the older ones? I am told that the new one has the best low end of the three.

I am sure that you will be able to hear the difference at the gathering. One thing to say is almost everyone that had a pair of Cornwalls and sold them regretted it, I don't think as many Heresy owners can say the same. Either way good luck on your search, it should be fun.

Also I have the RF-83 setup and for movies it's killer.....

James

If you'd like to hear a pair of Heresies and compare to Cornwalls you can stop by The House of Klipsch. Be glad to audition them for you. As a bonus, I have Yamaha electronics and Technics turntable in the hearth room.

Michael

Heresys do have a 12" driver but they are limited in bass output due to their small cabinet size in particular. If you want bass, the Forte II is right up your alley. Its in between a Heresy and Cornwall as far as size, generally are worth $300-600 depending on condition and wood color.

Is this a great forum or what?

Nice invitation from Colter to hear Heresy.

If you are using them on hardwood floors, you may be pleasantly surprised at how good they sound.

I couldn't agree more with Daddy Dee I have recently put my Heresys on the wood floors of my upstairs with a 220watt rms power amp and a pat 4 pre amp and i couldn't believe the bass i was feeling in my chest. I too have herd that the Heresy don't produce the bass that's why i was even more amazed. Also Have had the chance to compare the Heresy vs. the Cornwalls to be honest I didn't know what i was looking for plus they were all backed by 4 15" Yamaha woofers. But I say if you prefer the Heresys over the RF-82or3s go for it. I was once told you wouldn't be happier with a heritage line.

Hmmmm. I really think you should avoid Colters place. He will get you over there and introduce you to some speakers for sure. Heresys galore, etc, etc. But before you leave he will probably have you listen to some Jubs or MCM setups or who knows what. To be honest, thats just not anyway to treat a guest considering Heresys.[<:o)]

As mentioned Forte's would be an excellent choice, the footprint of the Heresy with the bass of a Cornwall. One of the best balanced speakers Klipsch ever produced I owned a pair for 12 years before trading them towards a pair of Belle Klipsch. They can be had in the $350 - $550 range typically.

Yeah those Forte 2's look good. Good eye on pointing those out. My Dad has F3's, Cousin has Corn's, and Uncle has KLF 30's. Cant go wrong with any of them, but obviously the 30's, and the Corn's are a much higher end line which provided effortless power. I think I'm gonna keep my eye out for some 20's, 30's, Forte's, or Heresy's. If any pop up on craigslist I'll go check em out. I'm also glad to hear I wont have any issues with the hardwood. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.

-Mike

+1 Forte II all the way for your size room or even Quartet with sub. My experience has been the Heresy needs to be crossed over at 80hz or higher, the Forte 40-60hz, and the Quartet 60hz. Chorus would probably be overkill. Wouldn't turn my nose up at the Fortes being a lower quality than Corns or KLF; the story goes that Mr. Klipsch himself chose to use Fortes in his office so they could very well be the best Klipsch has to offer for a small to mid-size room!