Dental Surgery

Dental Surgery #3 today to repair a missing tooth (implant procedure). I'm going without IV sedation today because of the cost involved. Wish me luck! I'll be taking my Klispch Image headphones to blast away the pain hopefully. Could be a rough afternoon when the local anesthetic wears off...[8o|]

Be tough! Just remember... it will be over. I had a tiny filling done once with no numbing. I'm sure I had a few moments of white knuckles as I grabbed the armrest however, just focused on "just 4 more seconds" (about 39 times [8o|] and all the sudden, the Doc said "we're done, way to go!"

Sorry guys but I am a whimp. I believe in the sedation or numbing. A few years ago I had a Crown placed on my tooth and the next morning it came off. I went back to the dentist office to have it put back in place and it was really sensitive. Ok I'll be honest it hurt me like a mother scooter. On the way home I boiught a 6 pack of Icehouse (cheap and 5.5% alcohol) I chugged them in about 20 minutes and soon went to sleep thereafter. I woke up the next morning ready to go.

Good luck with the dental work!

Could be a rough afternoon when the local anesthetic wears off...Super Angry

Won't he offer you a pain med prescription? A few of those will get you through, I'll bet.

Good luck, MC. That just ain't fun.

Good luck Michael, I agree wit fini, can he wright a pain med script, tramadol (non narcotic but works on narcotic pain receptors) or something like that.

FWIW I never use sedation for dental work, only locals. It is doable. I have had Navy Dentists pull off some pretty brutal wisdom tooth extractions when I was in the service using only a local, Including a gum pinch procedure when they broke the tooth off and had ot go excavating to find the other broken peice. That is a procedure where they have to peel your gum down like a sardine can until they can find the peice they broke off and then try to extract it. The problem I had with my wisdome teeth was that I still had them. Navy decided in the middle of a deployment, durig an at sea availability next to a tender, that my wisdom teeth, while healthy and non impacted, had to go. The Navy never used anything but local anesthetics on me.

That wasn't bad but not my idea of a fun morning. I gave he and his sweetie assistant a good laugh though (I still got it). After the initial numbing and putting that rubber block in my jaw, after he touched me the first time I growled 'so that's it then?'. She giggled big time.

He gave me local, nitrous, three shots, then three more shots when he began the drilling for the 2.5mm x 12mm titanium insert and I came up off the chair. He had to grind bone away from one of the screw heads holding my bone graft in place, said he usually only sees bone heal that rapidly in 18 year olds.

I had some heavy DP and LZ cued up on the iPod for when the drilling got intense, it really helped to crank the tunes so I didn't have to hear the grinding.

Whew, got some Vicodins for when this local wears off. I'm home now and sore as hell, I go sleepy sleep now. Thanks for the vibes.

nighty night

M

It drowns out the bone conduction of the drilling noise, I found it very helpful. Just keep your iPod on your chest and your finger on the volume wheel in case the dentist needs to communicate with you.

Klipsch Image in ear headphones to the rescue! [:D]

I counted 9 stitches in my gums as he was closing me up. This is going to hurt like a @#$%^&U* later today...

M, glad your OK. My experience, Drafted 1966, basic, Fort Hood Texas, wisdom teeth needed to come out. The Dr. who performed the extraction was, I believe the same one who did Washington's wooden ones. Anyway, first shot, needle broke and came through the side of my cheek, that hurt like a mother. Bottom left came out OK, top left, plyers sliped and needed 13 stitches in bottom lip, didn't feel it, except later.

Bottom line, I didn't go to a denist for 25 years, and when I do, I very nicely explain that if they hurt me, I'll slap the crap out of them, they seen to understand.

I hope your doing much better

CB

reminds me of the cartoon where the patient grabs the dentist by the 'underneath' side and says 'now we're not going to hurt each other, are we?"

Actually I have no complaints, my surgeon is one of the best in town and is very good about pain management during the surgery. If you need to take a breather, it's ok with him. Heck, he took that little rubber block thing out twice so 'we could rest'. I recall that since he had to grind the bone away from the screw, and the shots had worn off, once he got drilling for the socket, he hit a big nerve and I jumped. He gave me three more little shots in the area for more numbness and while that was setting in, his nurse patted my shoulder and told me how well we were doing so far. Just a little reassurance is a Godsend sometimes.