First pressing LP favorites

I have this Neil Young" Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere" it has a bit of surface noice between tracks and a few noticeable pops. Its darn musical and passionate. The cover was moldy but the LP is in a very nice HIFI sleeve.

For you youngster newbies:

You are limited in your rock and roll experience if you have not heard Down by the River and Cinamon Girl a couple of hundred times.

I have 1st pressings of Led Zeppelin's I, II, III, and IV. Also Pink Floyds (Dark Side of The Moon).

Jay

From where though? Here's how the post-mix product path used to go back in the day;

1) Master Tape (sometimes a copy if the original has too many edits to be safe) is delivered to the mastering house

2) eq & compression decisions are made & lacquer's are cut, at the same time a Production Master tape is created reflecting these decisions (-1 generation)

3) a tape op makes multiple copies of this Production Master for distribution to worldwide record manufacturing plants (- 2 generations)

4) plant in the US/elsewhere receives this copy, makes a safety copy and archives the original, uses safety copy to cut lacquers ( -3 generations)

As you can see, a foreign release could be many generations of tape copying away from the original. Compounding this was that "less worthy" markets would get lower quality copies. I've seen the US, UK & Germany get a digital production master & the rest of the world get 15ips tape with no noise reduction! Add in the fact that only 1 original Master Tape exists but many 100s of Production Master copies are scattered around & you see why the "made from the original master tape" should be treated with some sceptiscm. Even the terms Master & Production Master are confusing, there is no standard way of labelling studio tapes, each studio had it's own nomenclature & again, the record plant might happily re-label a Production Master as Master just so as not confuse their in-house people between it & the safety copies.

In the early days of CDs I was in a record store with the producer of a famous musical, he spotted the highly expensive 2 CD set of his work & commented, "that's interesting, the master tapes are still in my house!"

There are some really great sounding first pressings and some really horrible ones. Most green label Warner Bros and original Columbia 2 and 6-Eyes sound fantastic. Also, many Atlantic first pressings are excellent. The only decent original early Led Zeppelin pressing was Zep I IMO. Most of the others sounded dreadful. There are many more but these are the ones that stand out in my mind.

Examples:

Warner Green label:

America's first couple LPs

Early Grateful Dead LPs

Early Van Morrison

Columbia 2-Eye:

Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago I)

Early Simon & Garfunkel

Most jazz LPs like Brubeck, Mulligan, Miles Davis, etc.

Early Dylan

Early Blood, Sweat & Tears

New Riders, Panama Red

Atlantic:

Stephen Stills, Mannasas

Anything from Coltrane

Anything from Modern Jazz Quartet

May sound silly, but how do you know if it's a first pressing as traditionally understood?

Good question Thebes! I just received a copy of CSNY, Deja Vu Live. On the wrapper there is a sticker that says First Pressing. But no where else on the album cover, Liner, or actual records does it say First Pressing. Once I remove the cellophane wrapper......who would know it is a first pressing?

Thanks,

Dennie

You have to ask Travis (DWI Lawyer). He knows exactly what should be in the dead wax of every 1st pressing classic rock LP ever released.[;)] Other than that, I just assume it's close enough to sound like a first pressing if it looks right. Warner has to be green label, usually with the W7 in orange. The 2 and 6 eyes are easy enough.

BTW - Anything with a wrapper that says First Pressing HAS to be a fake!

You have to ask Travis (DWI Lawyer). He knows exactly what should be in the dead wax of every 1st pressing classic rock LP ever released.Wink Other than that, I just assume it's close enough to sound like a first pressing if it looks right. Warner has to be green label, usually with the W7 in orange. The 2 and 6 eyes are easy enough.

!BRsg-DwCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmVD,kBJ+c,qf

I hate Fakes!!! [:@]

I have 1st pressings of Led Zeppelin's I, II, III, and IV. Also Pink Floyds (Dark Side of The Moon).

Jay

From where though? Here's how the post-mix product path used to go back in the day;

1) Master Tape (sometimes a copy if the original has too many edits to be safe) is delivered to the mastering house

2) eq & compression decisions are made & lacquer's are cut, at the same time a Production Master tape is created reflecting these decisions (-1 generation)

3) a tape op makes multiple copies of this Production Master for distribution to worldwide record manufacturing plants (- 2 generations)

4) plant in the US/elsewhere receives this copy, makes a safety copy and archives the original, uses safety copy to cut lacquers ( -3 generations)

As you can see, a foreign release could be many generations of tape copying away from the original. Compounding this was that "less worthy" markets would get lower quality copies. I've seen the US, UK & Germany get a digital production master & the rest of the world get 15ips tape with no noise reduction! Add in the fact that only 1 original Master Tape exists but many 100s of Production Master copies are scattered around & you see why the "made from the original master tape" should be treated with some sceptiscm. Even the terms Master & Production Master are confusing, there is no standard way of labelling studio tapes, each studio had it's own nomenclature & again, the record plant might happily re-label a Production Master as Master just so as not confuse their in-house people between it & the safety copies.

In the early days of CDs I was in a record store with the producer of a famous musical, he spotted the highly expensive 2 CD set of his work & commented, "that's interesting, the master tapes are still in my house!"

Phil,

I am at work now so I can't put my hands on them, but I can tell you this much about them. They are on the Atlantic Red/Plum label all have the earliest matrix numbers and the correct info in the deadwax. The Floyd has the solid triangle and the correct info in the deadwax. Oh yea!!! they are all from the UK.

Jay

You have to ask Travis (DWI Lawyer). He knows exactly what should be in the dead wax of every 1st pressing classic rock LP ever released.Wink Other than that, I just assume it's close enough to sound like a first pressing if it looks right. Warner has to be green label, usually with the W7 in orange. The 2 and 6 eyes are easy enough.

!BRsg-DwCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmVD,kBJ+c,qf

I hate Fakes!!! Angry

I stand corrected Dennie! My bad. I thought you were talking about a 60s or 70s pressing. Next time I might actually read the thread carefully before making stupid comments.

I find it amusing that we covet this vinyl so much yet all of it was originally cut on the "audiophile" scourge known as the Direct-Drive Turntable. Apparently, according to the cogniscenti, it's good enough to make a record on but not good enough to play one back!

Caveat - I have an SL-1200 Technics & love it.

%21BRsg-DwCGk~$%28KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmVD,kBJ+

I hate Fakes!!! Angry

I stand corrected Dennie! My bad. I thought you were talking about a 60s or 70s pressing. Next time I might actually read the thread carefully before making stupid comments.

No problem Gary, it still makes me wonder how we know it is a first pressing, after the wrapper (with Sticker) is removed. I guess from reading Canyonman's comments, there is something in the "deadwax". Maybe I could pull out my "price guide" and see if it makes any refereance to first pressings.

Dennie

I find it amusing that we covet this vinyl so much yet all of it was originally cut on the "audiophile" scourge known as the Direct-Drive Turntable. Apparently, according to the cogniscenti, it's good enough to make a record on but not good enough to play one back!

Caveat - I have an SL-1200 Technics & love it.

OMG! Pressed on DD AND played on DD!! How can you even hear the music with all that wow and flutter!!