YAMAHA RX-V665 or PIONEER VSX-1018AH-K

sergio flores

I just went through this excercise and I ended up with the Pioneer. I wanted to spend the least amount of money and still get DTS HD Master and Dolby Plus, anyway the latest audio formats available. There are several new Yamaha units out that met the requirements but because they are selling them so cheap they cut corners. (check out the speaker conections on the back.) The RX-V665 is very nice unit but I don't think it has the latest codecs for audio. I saw the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K at Best Buy for S300.00. It was an open box deal and the model has been discontinued. What is a guy to do?

I Bought the RX-V665 and love it. Supposedly the 665 is "cheaper" because Yamaha kept many of the same components and foot prints as the 663 thus passing on the savings to the 665.

This isn't totally true from what I've read. I think for the price you'd be better off if you can find a 663 instead of buying the 665.

The 765 is the replacement for the 663, the 665 is a step down.

There is a lot of comparisons between the 765/665/663 on the AVS site. I check it out and see what you decide. Those guys put more thought into buying a receiver than I'd put into buying a house!!

The 765 and the 665 both have HDMI pass thru not just the 665. The thing there is it isn't an active switch that senses when the source changes, it just passes through the last HDMI component used so I guess if there is only one you use with the receiver off you'd just have to remember to switch to that source before you shut off the receiver.

The new ones both have more HDMI inputs (4 vs 2) which is one thing I'd like to change about my 663. Monoprice.com has a 4 into 1 remote controlled switch for $29 that my Harmony remote can switch when I go between activities so not a deal breaker but that is one nice change. With that switch I've got 5 HDMI inputs now so cheaper fix than buying a new receiver! The new ones both have video upscaling to 1080p which the 663 doesn't. When I was shopping for a receiver I looked at getting the 863 because it also has upscaling but after I heard how bad it was I went with the 663 instead. Sounds like the upscaling on the 765/665 is just as bad. People are recommending turning it off and just letting the TV upscale it for you.

If you're going to use it for a pre/pro the differences may not be as great. I know the 665 is rated at 1kHz vs 20Hz-20kHz on the 663 and 765 so the difference may be more than 5 watts. Of course we all know it takes twice the power to even make a 3 db difference so probably not that big a deal but it shows they cheapened up the 665 and the 765 really is the replacement for the 663. The cnet.com review said the sound quality of the 665 wasn't as good as the 663 but that is pretty subjective really.

With the 663 you can A/B between speakers, the new line you can't which is something I use. The new one also has less older inputs (and no S-video) which is probably not an issue for most people as they replace old equipment with new stuff with HDMI. My "days are numbered" Dish Network DVR 625 only has composite or S video so I appreciate that the 663 has S video and converts it and sends it to my TV with the same HDMI that everything else goes to it on.

The cnet.com review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/yamaha-rx-v665bl/4505-6466_7-33528102.html?tag=mncol;lst

This is all off the top of my head. Like I said check out AVS.com and read up over there and decide for yourself if the 665 is a step down from the 663. That seems to be the general consensus over there. I'm no expert so maybe I shouldn't repeat what I've read elsewhere!! If I was between the between the 765 vs the 665 I'd go with the 665. I just figure 663 vs 665 I'd still go 663 because of the better amp section (comparing the power consumption between the two the 665 is way lower so must put out a lot less power, right?) and you should be able to find the 663 a lot cheaper than the 665 now. YMMV.

Wow that's a lot more involved then I am. Then again that's what I'm here for, to learn everything I can. What I can speak to is the difference from the 661 to the Onkyo TR-SX806S to the 665. 665 is a decent upgrade picture wise from the 661. The Onkyo had the best picture quality of the two but IMO they sound pretty similar maybe a slight edge to the Onkyo at twice the price. One of my reasons for purchasing the 665 and not the 663 was the price. They were exactly the same at BB when I was there, and the only 663 they had was an open box. The added HDMI ports were a must for me as well. I wasn't concerned at all with wattage because I plan on picking up a Emotiva XPA-3 (if anyone is selling one please let me know) Of course these are purely my opinions and what my ears, eyes (and wallet) tell me.

Rocko

"Of course these are purely my opinions and what my ears, eyes (and wallet) tell me. "

Those really are the only opinions that matter! Its your system so if you're happy thats whats important.

I agree for the same price I'd have bought the new 665 over old 663. My logic was being the model getting closed out it would be a lot cheaper but I guess not. I've noticed on ebay the 663 is holding its own for used prices even after the 665/765 came out. I was happy to see that since I was thinking about replacing it with a Emotiva UMC-1 but now I'm trying to stay in the mind set that I won't gain much so why spend the money?!?!

If you're going to be using it as a pre/pro with an amp the difference in the amp section isn't worth even talking about and you've two more HDMI inputs to boot so I think you made the right choice.

Actually Rotel was my first choice. I sold my old Rotel and was looking for a 1095 but for the difference in price between it and the XPA-5 I felt foolish not buying the XPA-5. I'm happy with it and if I'd change my mind later Emo stuff seems to have a strong resale value. They have a 30 day return policy too so give them a try.

Trust me as far as mid-range goes Yamaha is the clear choice. Pioneer is a brand that has put their brand over their performance. Kind of like Bose but not nearly as bad.Yamaha makes better than their specs, Pioneer sells on their hot automotive market. It appeals to the 16-24 year old crowd. Believe me, I've had a Pioneer amp; Yamaha smacks it.