I've tried to fix it / live with it but... help me

Shiplemw1

Hello, I mentioned my problem in a previous post "How many preamps am I going to have to go through?". My problem is as follows.

When I rotate the knob on my preamp from the starting position(7 o'clock) and up until about 10 o'clock I hear what in my opinion is a staticy popping noise. I've turned my winamp all the way down to 25% and my laptop's volume down and also the windows volume down as others have suggested in that earlier post but it doesn't seem to help as it still continues to do it, and it happens at all four speakers.

I just got done experimenting with a cd-player and it's line output function which has volume control on it so it was all the preamp and it still makes the noise.

I've also tried, rotating the knob quickly to get rid of it but... to no avail it still does it.

Here's my dilemma, I like these speakers but... I'm a big fan of sound quality and this noise bothers the hell out of me, (call me picky). So either I can keep these, take them back get 1.) my money back, 2.) another set of promedia v.2-400's or 3.) I can get my money back and go to another store and buy a set of 4.1's.

From the upgrades to the 4.1's I'd like to take my 400's back and get the 4.1's especially since this hissing noise but i'd like some opinions...

thank you mike

laptop specs:

acer 736tlv

650 mhz, 20 gig hdd, 8mg ati rage, 128 mg ram

To answer the klipsch representative:

1.) No I haven't tried another pre amp as I don't have another available to me. I only bought these speakers yesterday and set them up last night and noticed the static noise last night.

2.) I really can't justify spending 250 on the 400's then another 50 on a preamp when I can supposedly solve the problem by taking them back and getting the 4.1's instead (not klipsch bashing just doesn't make sense in my mind)

I'm online all the time so if you have anymore questions or advice let me know... and thanks for the quick response

mike

• Moderators

If where you purchased them will take it back, then yes, I'd get the 4.1. As fawwaz mentions, keep in mind the 4.1s are 299 instead of 249, but you also get the new crossover in the satellites.

If you have trouble returning them, please let me know and we can try a replacment preamp for you to see if that helps.

--Amy

I bought them from an audio-video store about 1 hour and 30 minutes driving time away from me. They were the only ones I could find within 3 hours driving distance, no one else had them. I realize that the 400's go for 250, that's what I bought them at, and the 4.1's for 300, but if I buy a preamp or 50, that makes 300 dollars invested and I haven't achieved better sound... well most likely no more static but not better imaging in mid range (that's in the new 4.1 satellites).

There is no reason to buy a new preamp when I can get the new preamp with the 4.1's. I would be wasting 50 dollars (my opinion, might not be yours) when I can upgrade all together by taking them back and getting money back and going andbuying the 4.1's. Any one have any ideas on how to resolve the issue? anything I can do to stop the hiss other than buying a new preamp??? thanks mike