Turntable humm

Just hooked my old turntable after sitting for many years and noticed noise ( low humming/buzzing) sound coming from the speakers and the woofers are flopping around like mad the more i turn up the bass even at moderate noise levels. So far i have tried grounding the turntable ground to the pre-amp, tuner/preamp and to the amplifier with no luck. Maybe somebody who uses vinyl more often can chime in on some ways to help rid or reduce the problem.

Components in question are in my signature below with the addition of my old Pioneer PL 670 with a mid level Grado cartridge. The phono preamp is older and the sticker fell off so no onfo there.[N]

Nobody huh ?

Tomorrow i will hook up my old Technics and see if it is any better, if i recall the servo or something makes the speed unsteady but maybe it can be repaired, i think dad has one too but it was kinda funky, the tone arm tracks strange, rather thanthe usual type tracking the arm moves back and forth on a rail or something like that its hard to explain.

Wish i never sold the Thorens but i needed the cash for car repair in a bind years ago, im sure many of us have been in that situation before.

The phono preamp is older and the sticker fell off so no onfo there

Have you tried to hook the TT up to the preamp without the phono preamp? You would have to connect it to the Aux input, I know it will not have the same output but that should tell you if the phono preamp is the one that is causing the humming/buzzing.

James

I hooked theturntable directly up to the preamp/tuner but was unable to determine if it helped, the volume was too low. The phono preamp was moved away from the components and it seemed to help . Maybe i will experiment with more grounding options when i have more time.