Weird damage to RC-64

bonedoctor

I am SO happy that I purchased my RC-64 and RF-63s from a local dealer. They do compete on price within reason, so the deal was very comparable to Internet sales.

The sales tax is a small price to pay to have a local solution to any problem. Sales tax savings are reduced further if you have to pay shipping, especially if it is both ways.

I'll bet money Thump can fix or reduce the problem on the next design.

Bill

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, I don't know why people bother with buying stuff off eBay nowadays. Economy is so bad that, most dealers are so desperate for business that they are willing to do anything to get a sale. I was able to get a pair of RF82 and a RC64 for a total of 1500 out the door. And because I paid by cash, I didn't even have to pay tax.

I heard from you on e-bay I think. I took apart one of the speakers that I recieved and the cone was completely seperated from the magnet (aka the basket broke). I think dropping the speaker on one end will cause the damage. They are heavy suckers. After a horrible experience just like yours on ebay, I decided to order an RC-62. It arrived flawless. As for the ebay seller you are referring to, I had other problems with them al well. It took over three weeks to recieve my surrounds. My fronts came in fine. I ordered my sub elsewhere. I will never buy from that seller again. He put me through hell for two months trying to get a refund.

As for me, I had the same problems with paypal. Paypal origonally denied my claim because of how shady the return address was and the seller wouldn't respond to say he recieved the speaker. So Paypal declined my claim. This is where being nice gets you far. I called paypal and went through 2 people before I got a manager. She told me there was nothing she could do because of paypal policy, but gave me a lot of suggestions. We talked for about two hours (it was a nice conversation really), and after it was all done I got an e-mail saying she mysteriously found some information that would allow the claim to be processed! So words of wisdom....treat paypal nice and they will be your friends.

I am SO happy that I purchased my RC-64 and RF-63s from a local dealer. They do compete on price within reason, so the deal was very comparable to Internet sales.

The sales tax is a small price to pay to have a local solution to any problem. Sales tax savings are reduced further if you have to pay shipping, especially if it is both ways.

I'll bet money Thump can fix or reduce the problem on the next design.

Bill

I bought my RF-7s locally several months ago. Clearly, they were leftover stock. I paid cash (cold, hard cash) $1400, which I thought was a decent deal for me (they wanted $1600). I noticed a few months ago that they are labelled "B stock". Nothing wrong with them, just didn't think that I got that good of a deal for buying some old stock speakers, B stock to boot, and paying cold cash.

I heard from you on e-bay I think. I took apart one of the speakers that I recieved and the cone was completely seperated from the magnet (aka the basket broke). I think dropping the speaker on one end will cause the damage. They are heavy suckers. After a horrible experience just like yours on ebay, I decided to order an RC-62. It arrived flawless. As for the ebay seller you are referring to, I had other problems with them al well. It took over three weeks to recieve my surrounds. My fronts came in fine. I ordered my sub elsewhere. I will never buy from that seller again. He put me through hell for two months trying to get a refund.

As for me, I had the same problems with paypal. Paypal origonally denied my claim because of how shady the return address was and the seller wouldn't respond to say he recieved the speaker. So Paypal declined my claim. This is where being nice gets you far. I called paypal and went through 2 people before I got a manager. She told me there was nothing she could do because of paypal policy, but gave me a lot of suggestions. We talked for about two hours (it was a nice conversation really), and after it was all done I got an e-mail saying she mysteriously found some information that would allow the claim to be processed! So words of wisdom....treat paypal nice and they will be your friends.

Yes, that was probably me. I looked through the feedback and sent messages to the people with similar experiences as me. Ebay and PayPal (owned by Ebay) couldn't have cared less about the problems, culminating with Hi-end-wholesale sending me "PayPal's" number to call (it was a phone sex line). Ended up getting a new account number with Discover over the mess. Took a charge-back (that got their attention) and having to wait while PayPal resolved the dispute. When I left well-deserved negative, they claimed I damaged the speaker (seems to be a common claim for them). I got stuck handling the return. My feedback is from April 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling broken, salvage crap, knowingly shipping it and working a scam to make $ off the insurance claim against the shipper.

I contacted both PayPal and Ebay (as instructed) with the whole string of sorry e-mails exchanged and heard NOTHING!

Guess Ebay and PayPal would rather suck dirty money than do anything about a scam seller.

Yep, third time was the charm. And also the best deal. I paid $649 shipped for a recently made RC-64. If anybody is interested, I could give you the contact info for the place. They went so far as to craft a box tightly around the Klipsch box and staple it to the Klipsch box. I probably would have put some cushioning between the inner and outer box, but the speaker arrive in perfect shape. Don't know if how they packaged it was better or worse, or decreased the chance of the odd damage we've seen with these speakers, but I didn't have that awful sound of pieces rattling around inside the cabinet when unboxing it!

Yes, that was probably me. I looked through the feedback and sent messages to the people with similar experiences as me. Ebay and PayPal (owned by Ebay) couldn't have cared less about the problems, culminating with Hi-end-wholesale sending me "PayPal's" number to call (it was a phone sex line). Ended up getting a new account number with Discover over the mess. Took a charge-back (that got their attention) and having to wait while PayPal resolved the dispute. When I left well-deserved negative, they claimed I damaged the speaker (seems to be a common claim for them). I got stuck handling the return. My feedback is from April 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling broken, salvage crap, knowingly shipping it and working a scam to make $ off the insurance claim against the shipper.

I contacted both PayPal and Ebay (as instructed) with the whole string of sorry e-mails exchanged and heard NOTHING!

Guess Ebay and PayPal would rather suck dirty money than do anything about a scam seller.

Hi end also claimed I broke both speakers. They said that I should have opened the boxes in front of the delivery man and if it was broken, refuse shipment. How can I open the package before accepting shipment? Also, from my experience, I am thinking this user/ring has some good legal advice. They know how paypal and ebay works. They know the contracts. I learned my lesson, but paypal was nice enough (because I was nice enough) to find the info needed to force a claim. Some of the people there do care. Please be nice, respectful and treat them like people. They are American, I can assure you. They will understand what you are going through and will do whatever they can to fix it. If you are an *** however, they will treat you like the enemy. Phone calls are harder to ignore than e-mails.

What I would do in your shoes is try calling paypal/ebay. Make sure you get a manager(nicely). Explain it all, but try not to accuse to much. The manager I spoke to was extremely helpful and assured me hi end would be watched closer. She also made the refund happen. We talked for two hours like I said about this company, what I could do, life stories, and the like. The more people that complain, the less wiggle room hi end has before they get kicked.

Something else I found out from the manager-most power sellers have a paypal rep. If paypal presses enough on the rep the seller will usually give a refund (under the table of course). You NEED to call them to make that happen.

Where they from green bay? I ordered from a green bay company that shipped just like you described. I was impressed.

Probably the same place. Mine came from a Roger Kahn at Sound Seller, in Marinette WI. Is that the same place? I was impressed how they took another box and took the time to craft it to the same dimensions as the Klipsch box. It took me a while to get that sucker off and pull out the Klipsch box.

Yup! There ebay name is ronco21. I ordered an rt-10D from them. It rocks. The packaging was the best I have ever seen. I am not sure if the extra cardboard helps either, but damn, they took the time to do it. Opening it was a *****. You seem to be on the same wavelength here. Check out the stands I made for my RS-62's~

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/125027.aspx

Cheers At least it worked out for both of us.

• 3 months later...

sorry for an older thread bump, but i figure this is somewhat relavent.

Have any of you ordered from audioclassics.com?

I'm looking at gettin an RC-64 from them, and they usualyl double box (this is a new old stock item) ...

they also offer crating. Not sure of the cost for that service.

Anyone have experience with them?

Cheers

• Moderators

I don't think you have to worry about the seller as much as you do with UPS or Fedex. I would highly recommend having them send it freight, even if it costs you a little more. Mine was delivered via freight without even a dent in the packaging.

• Moderators

I ordered mine through my local Klipsch Dealer and when I picked up my RC-64 and RF-83's, they were on a pallet. It might have been Fedex Freight, that I cannot say. All I know is that regular UPS is notorious for beating the crap out of the RC-64 and RC-7. Ugly pics around the forums.

Today I've read this post. I'm from Rome, Italy, and I've just received an RC-64 bought online in Italy from an italian seller. Apparently the package not only had no damages, but even scratches on the surface were absent. When I opened the box and I extracted the RC-64 the black protection was intact and rightly mounted inside its plastic protection. I removed it to have a look of the fantastic loudspeakers and....... AAAARRRGGGHHH...!!! The right woofer was damaged as somebody hardly punched it in, even ripping the rubber...!!!

I immediately called the seller who told me to go to the assistance (fortunately here in Rome). Tomorrow I'll go... and I will let you know as soon as possible how this clue will go on...

P.S.: Reading your post tonight I'm having a serious doubt about some internal "sabotage"........................ [^o)]

Ciao

babbiorsi

If the woofer frames on those speakers are composite chances are the magnet broke loose from the rear and pulled the woofer cone and surround in with it. It was obviously handled roughly despite the outer carton not having any visible damage. That would have not happened to a steel stamped or cast woofer frame.

Hey guys, the dealer i'm looking at getting a cherry rc-64 from has suggested that he remove the woofers from the RC-64 to ship them separate, or at least packaged outside of the enclosure.

Any thoughts on this?

Seems to me if the dealer (soundseller) packages them well, and it sounds like he does hearing from others on here, they should be OK.