Score of the century

Mic Stiffy

• Moderators

If you take the pi over the square root of the price times the hours of listening enjoyment divided by days owned adjusted for leap years minus the present value of the gas money to Delaware plus the WAF factor (which is very high in my case since I paid nothing), I am confident that I am still in the lead.

That formula is correct except it is the future value of gas based on the price of gas the day you left your driveway to pickup the speakers, converted to today's value by using the CPI as published in the WSJ on the 1st Monday of the last month of preceeding quarter

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think i can beat Gary's deal, but I did score 2 pairs (4 total speakers) of Heresy's and 1 pair of Cornwall's for $600. Not bad in my book. All of the drivers are in perfect condition and the cabinets only have very, very light scratches.

My brother:

Pair of Chorus

Academy Center

Pair of KG4

Pair of KG2 (I think)

Nice Yammaha HT receiver.

All for 500 bucks.

Now I'll admit that this has turned into an apples and orange comparison, but there are some SWEET deals out there for those willing to do the legwork and own a truck. You gotta love depreciation!

Let me in on a little secret, but tell NO ONE!

I've found the flaw in your plan to be in the right place at the right time.

Almost anyone placing an add on the internet has a general idea how much their crap is worth, and believe me it's crap to them, or they wouldn't be peddling it. Unless it's there business. Then their just plain flim flammers.

The odd acorn of a deal that happens to fall in the Hog pen (with the millions of other hogs like yourself trying to grab a deal) gets gobbled up almost immediately, Nay for the real idiot who sends them a message telling them that they offered their crap waaay too cheap and they are worth waay more. What dumbkopf's.

If you want to consistantly get valuable crap at a song, or mostly FREE, you have to put yourself in the right place at the right time, and make sure you mention the item in question when you see it.

Take it from me. I'm a plumber. I'm in the bowles of everyones home all the time. Most of the time the valuable crap (to you, just plain crap to them) is right in your way to fix whatever they're having a problem with. You tell them that they have to move their stuff out of the way before you can repair it. Then you mentinon the item that interests you. If they're proud of it, you just gained expert points, and they immediately trust you and your judgment (because your just like them). If they aren't proud of it and would like nothing better than to never see it again, they'll offer it to you for free, or at least an absolute song.

• 1 month later...
Well I think I have the slam dunk of the century, rc7 for like USD $270. ok not mint ( a few scratches on cabinet and a slight crease in woofer) but sonically perfect. And in Australia RC-7 are a very rare breed, no one wants to part with it and when they do it would normally go for a mint.. in all my years looking at ebay this is the only one I have ever seen. So I don’t know mangs I could be up there with the lead.. maybe not.. but close.

You make that sound like a B&E

What's B&E?Huh?

B&E= breaking and entering.

Nobody tell thebes I quoted myself, I think that's his thing.

I did feel a little guilty after they were set up and jamming. Then I realized they were stacked in a garage unused for a couple of years and the guilt went away. [:D]

You make that sound like a B&E

What's B&E?Huh?

B&E= breaking and entering.

Nobody tell thebes I quoted myself, I think that's his thing.

I did feel a little guilty after they were set up and jamming. Then I realized they were stacked in a garage unused for a couple of years and the guilt went away. Big Smile

Sean,

Your statement does not sound like a denial of B&E, reread it for yourself.

Roger

Sean,

Your statement does not sound like a denial of B&E, reread it for yourself.

Roger

Definetly not B&E. They were for a friend of mine who bought them new in 1980. I had listened to them several times at his house and enjoyed them very much. When it was time for him to get rid of them due to kids moving out and seriously downsizing his house he called me first. The original offer was $700 and I agreed. I was offshore at the time and 60 days later I called him and the offer changed to free of charge. I would have no regrets if I had paid $700 but free is even better. My friend has come over a few times and listened and he has no regrets either. He says that they never sounded this good at his house and knows they are well taken care of and I agree.

Everyone ends up happy.

Sean

Since this was bumped back up and we are ranking deals, I just want it to be known that I have 2 pair of Cornwalls with a total investment of $25. I think I should be able to find a seat somewhere up there near Gary. [:D]

Jeremy

I think Kevin Harmon has the best score going, although he would never brag for himself. His Jubilees were bought brand new and given to him as a gift from one of his two best friends that is his buiseness partner. Free Jubilees top free Klipschorns, especially brand new.

That came with FREE delivery as well!!!

Roger