Cayin 860 Mono blocs

USNRET

Craig those are real nice looking amps, quick question what is the difference between Ultra Linear, and Triode.

Ultra Linear and Triode are two different but in some ways similar methods running the push pull output section. In general terms Triode is a bit more relaxed/softer and works well for more delicate less complicated music. Triode has a bit of trouble tracking wild fast moving impedance swings that complicated music presents, Triode also comes with an efficiency penalty it cuts your peak power in half. Ultra linear is just that "more linear" and can better track complicated passages. Then you could also go Pentode or Tetrode which raises the efficiency of the output section further but also raises distortion and has a bit more brittle side to it. Basically Ultra Linear is half way between Triode and Pentode leaning slightly more toward the triode character sonically speaking.... This is a very short layman terms explanation.

I personally almost never run my amps in Triode.

I have a lot of amps and listen to a lot of different gear on a daily basis.

Again JMHO but......

I've heard both and the VRDs hands down are the proper choice.

The Cayin sound fine. The VRDs left an impression and I'm always on the lookout for a deal on them.

The VRDs are one of the better sounding amps I've listened to.

I have a very limited budget for another amp but when the right deal comes along I'll have to give up the left nut.

If you haven't heard the VRDs you owe it to yourself to have a listen. Take the road trip or whatever it takes if you're in the serious stage of an amp purchase. You won't ask this question again.

Harry

If you haven't heard the VRDs you owe it to yourself to have a listen. Take the road trip or whatever it takes if you're in the serious stage of an amp purchase. You won't ask this question again.

Harry

Thanks for the input Harry. I have heard the VRDs at Cigarbum'S but no other tubes to compare to.