Amp for RF-7 stable down to 2 ohms

dbossa

There are a few members here that highly reccomend QSC pro-amps with RF-7's. Supposed to be an all around excellent amp for RF-7's.......but I don't know if fan noise is an issue.

Maybe some QSC guys will chime in.

Hi, make sure you get a good mosfet Amp, since Mosfets sound like tubes 90% i think lol. Also one more thing, try to get an amp that does class A operation up to 50 ot 70 watts, then switches to class A/B. Make sure you get something that does 200W or 250W in stereo mode. Try Krell's, Pass Labs, Adcom, Anthem and the best bang for the buck Emotiva, i dont know about Rotel never used any of their amps. I run a pair of Cf-4's rated at 300W with Passlabs x250.5, they sound amazing.

good luck.

Well, after considerably more reading tonight, I think I'm going to go with an Emotiva XPA-2 to power my mains and continue to run my center and surrounds through my receiver for now until later on where I'll add an XPA-5, run it as a 3 channel amp at 250 WPC to power the center and surrounds. Best bang for the buck I was able to findand they also won the Audioholics 2008 Product of the Year...... can't deny that!

Thanks for all your input guys!

There are a few members here that highly reccomend QSC pro-amps with RF-7's. Supposed to be an all around excellent amp for RF-7's.......but I don't know if fan noise is an issue.

The QSC's that I run are 325 wpc. They've got plenty of power for the bottom end and sound great on top. They're much better than the Crown's that I had previously. They're a very smooth sounding amp. As far as the fans go, ther is a simple and inexpensive fan swap that you can do to make them virtually inaudible.

Well, after considerably more reading tonight, I think I'm going to go with an Emotiva XPA-2 to power my mains and continue to run my center and surrounds through my receiver for now until later on where I'll add an XPA-5, run it as a 3 channel amp at 250 WPC to power the center and surrounds. Best bang for the buck I was able to findand they also won the Audioholics 2008 Product of the Year...... can't deny that!

Thanks for all your input guys!

Great!! Let us know what you think. When will you be getting the Emotiva?

I just pulled the fan out of my QSC completely and it's been at least a year without any problems at all. Certainly a good budget amp that sounds fine.

JB's at it again.

Note from Lonnie, the general manager at Emotiva:

"In
regards to your system, I would suggest using two of the XPA-5 amps and
bi-amping your main speakers and center channel. The XPA-2 has a lot
of power but due to the higher rails within the unit the noise floor is
slightly higher than on the XPA-5. It isn’t much but enough that when
connected to Klipsch horns you can hear a hiss, so the XPA-5 is a far
better choice for you."

Maybe I'll go that route instead.... would be hard to argue with him ;o)

"In regards to your system, I would suggest using two of the XPA-5 amps and bi-amping your main speakers

Do those amps have gain controls? If so, you're gonna dig it bi-amped.

On my RF-7s I used to run a QSC PLX-2402 amp. 425 W/ch and it was not bothered at all by that impedance dip. Incredible amp.

My curent amp is an Outlaw 7500, 200 W/ch on 5 channels. I haven't done an A/B comparison between the two, but they both make my 7s sing and both will drive louder than I'm comfortable listening to. It may be overkill on the power, but I've got HEADROOM, BABY!! [H]

I can highly recommend both the Outlaw and QSC. Both are great quality and not expensive at all for what you get.