understanding 5.1 and 7.1 and geting the most out of my new system

bailz

hey there new to home theater stuff, recently got the vf - 35 system including fronts rears and center channel ( i'm really happy with it) , got a davron avr 789 amp, my question is what sub will be good for this system and what does 5.1 and 7.1 mean, and do high end cables like monster really make a difference as i am just running a cheap optical and hdmi

thanks heaps

bailz

Let us know how much you want to spend on a sub - there's a lot of good ones out there.

5.1 = center speaker, two front main speakers + two surround speakers mounted on the side walls + subwoofer

7.1 adds two speakers on the rear wall.

There are some Blu-Ray discs encoded in 7.1 but otherwise most of the time you listen to a receiver in 7.1 it is taking a 5.1 signal and matrixing the two rear channels.

If you're using digital cables such as optical and HDMI get the cheapest ones you can find (http://monoprice.com will be your friend from here on out).

well that makes more sence now about the 5.1, 7.1, and yeah i have seen 7.1 advertized on some blu rays, well im in austrailia and the guy at my outlet here only has the synergy 10 and 12 are these worth while or am i waisting my time, not sure what a good one is worth, budget maybe round 400-500$ au, thanks for the welcome youthman