OK fess up who bought speakers that were too big for the house?

russ69

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll tell you, my K-horns and Altec Lansing Model 19s were a BEAR to get into the house. Fortunately my front door is just an inch or two wider than these monsters, However, just inside the door are three steps up to the main floor level and that makes the whole thing tricky. So far, I've been lucky--no crushed speakers or fingers,,,now that hernia on the other hand....

A painter friend of mine once said, when asked if he had any advice for young painters, "Don't ever build a stretcher that won't fit through your studio door."

George

Too big for the house? What a concept! Remember, this is the forum where several members have MCM1900s in their houses, or "little" TSCMs or Jubilees or Khorns, or tiny La Scalas.

"I know there was a pair of black La Scalas in this room somewhere. Where did they go?"

• Moderators

Fess up .......I did it on purpose...

If they fit through the door they can not be to big for the house, simple really ! [:o]

I can prove it,....... and yes I could be a redneck, but I prefer Coonneck....1/2 coon@*** 1/2 redneck.

Obviously my wife and I are the wrong people to ask that question ! [;)]

If you haven't then you have no business on this forum.....get out now.

Now that is funny.... [:P]

James

I do have to agree that each set up that I have is WAY over killer for the size of the room that it is in. Do I mind, not one bit. Are people shocked when they see my speakers, of course, shouldn't they be.

I just have the 5.1 Reference set (RF-7s etc.) so when compared to some of the heritage stuff my stuff is fairly small. That said they are certainly a commanding presence in the room (even when quiet[;)]). As for whether or not they are to big for the room...That depends on who you ask (me or the wife) and when you ask.

For me I love the look so they are not ever too big (until it comes time to move them [:)]).

Now the wife is a different story. She loves the sound and when we are listening she wouldn't want any thing different. However when we are not listening, I can not tell you the number of times she has asked if there wasn't some way to get similar sound (she is not that picky just wants it loud and clear) without such an imposing presence. It is usually at this time that she mentions the BOSE TV commercial where they talk about "Room filling sound" from that little clock radio thing[8-)]. Since she has no desire to understand why that is such an idiotic statement I usually end such discussions by turning on the system, loading up some Metallica (she loves her metal) and cranking it up. Then she is happy again...at least until the next time[:^)].

Steve

That's like asking around here who owns more than one stereo set up, or more than one amp, etc.

btw, I just bought my last set of speakers, some nice bargain LaScalas which are now up in my gallery/studio and they do make my diy stereo SE 45/2A3 amplifier sound like a complete success afterall. BTW, the diy Altec system in my living room turned out to be more than 8 feet tall, but that is an old story.

C&S

in my living room right now, 1 pair of lascalas, 1 pair of k-horns, 1 pair of sap trios, 1 pair of rel storm subs, approximately 6 amps, 2 pre-amps , 2 phono stages, 2 turntables, 2 reel to reels, 3 stereo cabinets, 2 wall shelfs, 2 boys, 1 lady, a 42" lcd and standing room only ( he he he he [Y] ) have i bought speakers that are to big..................NO SUCH THING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

btw, I just bought my last set of speakers

That's as funny as the question for this thread, sure you did.

I think what C&S meant was that the La Scalas were the "most recent" speakers he's bought. I know, stopping buying stuff is inconceivable, a real sickness...[:P]