OK fess up who bought speakers that were too big for the house?

russ69

• Moderators

JBL Paragon - it made a bit more of a statement than other family members were ready for.

Electro Voice Patricians - I didn't even try.

Klipsch Belles - In my 13' x 12' office. Actually sounded quite nice. Only regret was office was on second floor...

That's funny.

If having big speakers were not enough, then a small tube amp magically appears at you house one day [6] and puts more crazy ideas in you head which you can't get out.

Bet the Cornwalls would be a good match with tubes..............one day.

Thanks for doing that.......I think ?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

What a silly thread, the question should have been....

"OK fess up, who bought a house that was to small to fit your speakers?" the only solution to this is to sell your house and buy a bigger one, really, its a no brainer. I made the mistake long ago to sell my cornwalls, the sound was just never the same until i bought la scala's which were larger....did i mention that i'm picking up some belles tomorrow?

What a silly thread, the question should have been....

"OK fess up, who bought a house that was to small to fit your speakers?" the only solution to this is to sell your house and buy a bigger one, really, its a no brainer. I made the mistake long ago to sell my cornwalls, the sound was just never the same until i bought la scala's which were larger....did i mention that i'm picking up some belles tomorrow?

Well then, what are you doing here? You should be house hunting!!! tappingfoot.gif

Keep us posted, we want pictures of the Belles and the New House! gotpics.gif

Dennie[;)]

Yeah, I'm perfectly normal. Have six identically drivered Cornwalls (1968-1976) and two twin woofered JBL pro bass cabs in a 15 x 24 room, and a pair of Belles in a 12 x 15 room. Yeah, it's a bit much, but it's awesome, and yeah, a good amount of tube gear to drive them. My minimum standard for true Heritage happiness are Cornwalls.....and more midrange goodness from the Belles justify them in and of itself. I would have KHorns if I had the corners.

I have a particular MC30 fetish, too, and that probably makes me more "notable" here than my speaker arrangements, which are pretty standard level for the Heritage crowd......and the biggest and best I can live with.

This thread is so about me. 100% Guilty !

I just moved into a beautiful new house, all new living room furniture, swore I wouldn't do this but couldn't resist.

<------------------ See those Industrial La Scalas ? Yep, in the living room. They just sound so damn good, couldn't help myself.

I did however find something a couple nights ago that I just couldn't pass up. New open box cherry RF-82 II's for $229 each. They had 3, I bought 2. Was this a stupid deal ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=170584889802&si=npcmGTNk4TxtDDqH6EcsaXCtHjU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Awaiting the arrival of the RF-82 II's to replace the La Scalas in the living room. I hope they sound close to as good.

Awaiting the arrival of the RF-82 II's to replace the La Scalas in the living room. I hope they sound close to as good.

The first song you should play on them is "Dream On" by Aerosmith.

Would a Lincoln out road a Ford Fiesta?

Yeah, yeah, yeah............ I know the RF-82 II's are not going to sound as good as the La Scalas. In fact, it's not a size problem, I have plenty of room for them, it's an aesthetics problem. Pretty new house, pretty new furniture, ugly Industrial big boxes just don't look so great in the room. I've been looking for a good deal on some nice woodgrain La Scalas or Belle's for months now. I have not had any luck finding anything within 200 miles. Did you see the price I paid for the RF-82 II's ??? These things always sell for $1150-1200 a pair. I paid $229 each plus shipping. I figured for that, I could use them for awhile and keep my eye out for some nice "pretty" Heritage Klipsch speakers. I can always sell the RF-82 II's for what I paid for them.

One thing that has always made me scratch my head on the Heritage Klipsch speakers is how a friends pretty woodgrain Belle's don't hold a candle to my Industrial La Scalas. My La Scalas have WAY !!!! more bass response than his Belles. In fact the first time I was over at his house, he did not know I had the La Scalas. He bragged to me about how great his Belles were and gave me the full demo. I just laughed at him and told him to come over to my house. He begged me for years to sell him the Industrial La Scalas. No matter what, I will NEVER sell the Industrial La Scalas. I think I just need to keep my eyes open for some nice woodgrain La Scalas.

One thing that has always made me scratch my head on the Heritage Klipsch speakers is how a friends pretty woodgrain Belle's don't hold a candle to my Industrial La Scalas. My La Scalas have WAY !!!! more bass response than his Belles.

Old Capacitors! I used to agree when people said there La Scalas lacked bass. So did my 1979 original one owner speakers.

Then I replaced the Crossovers with Bob Crites Type A/AA and WOW!!! The Bass was no longer lacking and as a matter of fact it was AMAZING.

The Mids and Highs now sounded so much clearer/cleaner too. Some people think others are exagerating when they say "it sounds like a Blanket/Vail

was lifted off of the speakers", when the "Caps" were updated. It is my experience that this is a true statement.

If your 20 year old speakers sound great and you haven't updated the electronics, well, you don't have a clue of their potential. [:P]

Dennie

• 5 months later...

I bought my house to match with my LaScala ,the room is 4.2m (13ft 9inch) wide and 4.9mb (16ft) deep with a La-Scala in each corner across the width. Now for the room directly below, I'm getting Jubs for the Home Theatre System. The room 4.2m (13ft 9inch) deep and 4.9mb (16ft) wide. The Jubs bass horns will be centre on the wall ceiling base to bass with the KPT-402-HF flown toed in and down at each end. I will use my Heresy for the surrounds floating toed in and down from the rear corners. A large set of headphones.

The screen will be below the jubs. The amps will be upstairs directly above the jubs cables directly through the floor/ceiling. So after I have them I expect they will be to big for the house.

If the room is the compromise why compromise the speakers? I'd rather have big speakers in a small room than small speakers in a small room. I've heard Heresy I Chorus II and Klipschorns at a friends house in a very small room. I'd pick the Khorns every time.

• Moderators

Let me be clear (before dtel, fini, et. al. get going...) I have no problem (at all...) with her running around nekkid. I'm all in favor of that and srongly encourage such behavior when the kids are not around (alot...!!!). It's just the water on the floor that concerened me.... (yeah right! Devil).....

Whew!! That was close!!!

Cool

Thought you got away without a reply, HA

The only problem is as you get older and slower there's alot more time before you catch her. [;)]

• Moderators

In the "That's not right department..."

The only place left is.... the bathrooms, and I'm seriously thinking about a couple of Klipsch outdoor speakers for those rooms..... Just to sing in the shower.... Yes

I convinced SWMBO that an outdoor speaker in the bathroom will allow her to listen to the soaps & Oprah, etc. as she performs her morning ablutions without resorting to running out nekkid to see what was going on at the General Hospital or whatever it is she tunes on DTV in the morning......

Cool

What about some klipsch in ceiling speakers to sing with, got some if you want, some even have two tweets for a stereo sound for a single speaker ? [:|] Hey here's an idea use a couple and make them into little rocks or something for outside, when they die pitch them.

She would kill you, or she might not want you to sing in the shower, that I could understand ?

• Moderators

Too big for the house, or too many? Simple, if you can walk in and get to the volume knob you have neither. [:P]

Don't confuse me, next your going to tell me there really is a Easter bunny and Santa, none of these things are true, that's my story and i'm stickin to it !

I agree 100% it's like having a 16 cylinder engine so you never get to full power. My Jubilee will be hanging from the ceiling in my lounge room home theatre almost like giant "walk into head phones. The depth of the room is almost the same as the combined width of 4 Jubilee side by side. I expect I will have excellent dynamic headroom and negligible distortion. My Pass Labs amps will operate as single ended class A most of the time and for the loud bits rarely leave the high bias push pull class A to go into class AB above 40 watts. I think it will sound really good. :)

• Moderators

I expect I will have excellent dynamic headroom and negligible distortion

Yes you will.

"I agree 100% it's like having a 16 cylinder engine so you never get to full power."

Full power [:o] you will be hardly warning them up. [:P] Last night everyone was gone for the night except the wife, so I was able to use maby a whole watt or two [:o], it sounded so good it was 4 am before I noticed. ( not jubes but close ). Having no neighbors for at least 1000' is great. [Y]

Yes Yes Yes I'm so excited. My jubs will be in BR to match with my 1976 LaScala and 1981 Heresy. I live in a circa 1900 Victorian Terrace and the sound goes through the walls to entertain the neighbours. I would probably use 1/10 of a watt much of the time with my LaScala in my bedroom. Often, I go to sleep listening to my LaScala. They sound superb soft and my Yamaha B2x class A is a perfect room heater, I mean match for them. On Monday's after 9:00am the neighbours are at work and the shop downstairs is closed, then I give them a little exercise. My neighbour hood is very alive with restaurants, hotels, night clubs and noisy people late into the night all night on the weekends and thats a bonus. My neighbours never complain and are all very friendly.

I can see I will need a very comfortable lounge to go with my jubs.

It's so difficult being retired. :)

• Moderators

My neighbour hood is very alive with restaurants, hotels, night clubs and noisy people late into the night all night on the weekends and that’s a bonus. My neighbours never complain and are all very friendly.

I can see I will need a very comfortable lounge to go with my jubs.

It's so difficult being retired. :)

Sounds like a party coming up, with the neighbors invited. [Y]