I got laid off :(

I got called into a suprise meeting with my boss and the VP over our dept thursday where they informed me that yesterday was my last day of work.

It came as rather a big shock to say the least.

At least the past few weeks I've been getting subtle hints that I should try and get back into graphic design of some sort since that's what I went to school for.

This would seem to be God's way of giving me a hint I can't ignore.

So, say some prayers that I'll be able to get some work.

The worst part of all this is that now Marvel won't be able to ask me for help[:D]

I kid, I kid.

Our dept was seemingly understaffed as it was so he and the other guys are gonna be hoppin.

One thing that bothers me just a little bit(not much really but I've been thinking too much) is that they told me that me getting cut has nothing to do with my performance.

Which is almost like saying, it doesn't matter how hard you have worked for the past 5(12 years if you count off and on part time) years, it means nothing to us.

Probably not what they meant but...

I still had a great time working there and have made some awesome friends over the past 12 years including my wife who was one of the beautiful young women who went to school there.

Time to reinvent myself.

C'est la vie.

-Josh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Layoffs are happening everywhere. Not that this should make you feel good, but a huge Architectural firm in Denver, that we get a lot of work from (or use to), layed off 40% of their staff since January. That's around 120 Architects and Interior Designers from just 1 firm in just 1 city of America.

The engineering firm I work for, which has offices in 3 states, has layed off 10%, and another round is in the near horizon. I'm kinda like you, in that I don't see them laying me off, not at all, but anything is possible. I'm relatively confident, that if I stay here, I can survive up to around a 70% mark in layoffs, but I'm not waiting. Been here too long, and I'm going to breakaway from the firm this year. If only I could find a buyer for my house, I'd be the hell out of here and back in TEXAS. Gonna go back to San Antonio, by way of Bandera Tx.

Just remember, everything happens for the better. If you don't realize this fact, you will before too long. Go hit the pavement, and find your future.

I almost wish they had pulled a "Josh, it looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately"

"can't say I've been missing it Bobs"

When you're all ready for a set-up like that, it never works [:D]. You might have to set up a new meeting and bait them into saying "Josh, it looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately" by asking questions like "has my attendance been bad?"

I almost wish they had pulled a "Josh, it looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately"

"can't say I've been missing it Bobs"

I worked at a retail store many years ago that had a store manager that would make up crap like that just to get someone canned. It was usually a very good worker too. That same manager was also trying to "have his way" with one of the young girls in the clothing dept. that I was also good friends with.

Now everyone knew the manager was pretty much scum. One day he and I were in a casual conversation and he asked me if So-n-so (the young girl) and I talked a lot. I said "Yea, we tell each other pretty much everything." Never had another problem from him again and, yes, I was a very honest worker.

Another day while a few of us were eating in the lunch room Mgr. Scum's name came up. When someone there asked me about him I said that I could pretty much ruin his job AND his marraige. Mgr. Scum was replaced about a year later.

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. At least you're young. I'm sure something will come up in no time.

I got my pink slip this past Tuesday. The bank where I've been employed the last 23 years was sold a couple months ago to Capital One and they already have 3 of me, at least 2 of them considerably younger.

I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt.

- Gary

Sorry to hear that.  I feel your pain.  At least you're young.  I'm sure something will come up in no time.

I got my pink slip this past Tuesday.  The bank where I've been employed the last 23 years was sold a couple months ago to Capital One and they already have 3 of me, at least 2 of them considerably younger.

I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt.

- Gary

Gary, I sure hope everything works out for you too.

You might want to look at this as an opportunity to do what you've always wanted to.

A few years back my boss basically gave me the ultimatum of my job or my son. Being a single full time dad and working full time was rough.

At first I was allowed to work from home and just go in on fridays to "fill in the gaps". It lasted over a year before problems arose.

I was excelling in job performance but one of the other engineers wanted the same luxury of working outside of the office and "the boss" decided it was in the company's best interest to have me back in the office or else. I declined the full time office in favor of raising my son. Work and income are a priority but family has to come first. My situation dictated my son was/is my priority.

It was rough at first and went through the savings pretty quick. Finally I decided to work for myself and without any idea whatsoever what I should do I decided to give my hobby a shot at making me an income.

Four years later I can consider my venture successful and stable.

Bottom line.....Happier than I've ever been. IF I had seen it in the proper light in the beginning I would have realized it was a blessing rather than a setback. Hindsight thing as always.

Just a personal thought for all going through downsizing and terminations.

God Bless you, best of luck, and wishing for brighter days ahead.

Harry btw, smell the roses and forget the pricks.

I don't think you should take it to heart. In tough times when layoffs become necessary companies often do not layoff the poor workers, they layoff the most expensive workers. If you were tenured you were probably the mostly costly employee in salary and benefits. Other times they have a bunch of good employees and they just pick a name out of a hat. It is still a pain and I hope it works out for the best.

My heart goes out to you.

This happened to me too, several times. Thankfully that was long ago.

Exercise kept me somewhat sane. (It was as if a ton of "incompentent brick" and a ton of "guilty bricks" fell on me -- every day.. Endorphins help.) So I suggest that, very much. Walking and jogging cost little.

Then I found a low paying, filler job which made the resume look acceptable. I met a lot of good people in the filler job. We had a terrific crew.

Then my present job came along. It was through a strong recommendation from the previous employer. So let me suggest you keep track of friends from your ex-employer.

That present job came just in time because the filler job workplace hired a new boss and there was a bloodbath -- for no good reason.

FWIIW: Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard) spoke about his job fears. He said that every day on the set he dreded what might happen. Some studio exec would come up and say: "Pat, you've done a good job. A really, really good job. But time change and . . etc."

Best,

Wm McD. .

"I got called into a suprise meeting with my boss and the VP over our dept thursday where they informed me that yesterday was my last day of work."

That is just p!ss poor management there. They knew well before you did this was going to come to fruition. To lay you off on the day they announced it is an indicator of a very poor organization. You are better off not being there. We give our folks a std month notice and the longer they are with us the longer the notice the employees get. Getting tanked in one day should merit a pretty kickin severance package. Very sorry to hear this.