My first Cornwalls

The Dude

If I have time tomorrow i will post pics. I tell you what these are a lot bigger than you think. Its been so long since I've seen a pair forgot how big they were. So the gentleman I bought them from said that he herd nothing from the small tweeters(not twiters), How should I test these, and is anything else I should check.

thanks

nick

pull off the grills and put your ear next to each driver. the tweeter is the hardest to hear. stuff a towell in the midrange horn to block it off. others will chime in on how they check their own speakers. volt meter and or 9 volt battery.

if you find the tweeters don't work contact BEC ( bob crites ) here on the forum.

I am heading to the storage shed here in a few moments. I must confess I haven't even hooked anything up to them since it was late last night. Like I said earlier in the first post the guy said he couldn't hear the tweeters on both maybe he just can't pick at the high frq. from the mids. But i will find out here shortly. I just didn't want to do anymore damage before hooking up.

thanks

nick

pull off the grills and put your ear next to each driver. the tweeter is the hardest to hear. stuff a towell in the midrange horn to block it off. others will chime in on how they check their own speakers. volt meter and or 9 volt battery.

if you find the tweeters don't work contact BEC ( bob crites ) here on the forum.

Also to add - if you have tone controls, turn the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up as well. That should make it easier to just hear if anything is indeed coming through the tweeter. To test each individual speaker, use the balance controls by turn it all the way to the left or right to check the respective speaker. That way, it should be easier to isolate if there is indeed a problem, and in which speaker the problem could actually be.

I used both methods, I stuffed a towel in the mid and turned the treble up an bass down, herd nothing coming(or the same thing at least may not be nothing but nothing noticeably herd) from tweeters in both speakers. Now is there a mechanical way to verifying that its the tweeters or crossovers. By the way these bad boys still sound awesome, so much music through out the hole hose and backyard.

thanks

nick

Disconnect both leads going to the tweeter from the crossover. Use a volt-ohm meter to do a continuity test at the connection leads on the tweeter itself. If there's no connection the there's a short and (at least) new diaphragms are needed. Again, call BEC and he'll set you up.

I used both methods, I stuffed a towel in the mid and turned the treble up an bass down, herd nothing coming(or the same thing at least may not be nothing but nothing noticeably herd) from tweeters in both speakers. Now is there a mechanical way to verifying that its the tweeters or crossovers. By the way these bad boys still sound awesome, so much music through out the hole hose and backyard.

thanks

nick

Chances are very good that it's not both networks. Call Klispch support and get the tweeter diaphram replacment kits, very easy fix to do at home.

M

If there's no connection the there's a short

No connection means an open. A short would give atone on the continuity test. If checking ohms, you would get close to zero ohms on a short.

Except for the large number of screws invilved, you may want to get to the crossovers and loosen, then retighten all the connections. Doesn't cost anything but time.

Bruce

If you can't hear anything, THEY AIN'T WORKING! Maybe I just have super-hearing, but I've always been able to tell if the tweeters are working in my speakers.[:^)]

Cornwalls sound amazing. They sound pretty good even with no tweeters but you'll be amazed how much improvement you'll hear once they are fixed.

Congrats on your new Cornwalls!

If there's no connection the there's a short

No connection means an open. A short would give atone on the continuity test. If checking ohms, you would get close to zero ohms on a short.

Except for the large number of screws invilved, you may want to get to the crossovers and loosen, then retighten all the connections. Doesn't cost anything but time.

Bruce

Yea, I know. It's hard to talk on the phone, suttle a newborn baby, cook dinner and type all at the same time [:S].

Its confirmed the diaphrams are bad even had my local audio guy check them for me. Now I have 3 options 1. Bob Crites I dont recall if the price is for a pair or each, if each alot better price but who are they made buy I guess I could contact him direct. 2. is Klipsch direct but man are they pricey. 3. Local from my EV dealer for about 60.00 a pair little less price than from Klipsch but no shipping and EV brand. Just wanted everyone input on this if the EV ones are worth it as if I have anything to gain or loss using them. I suspect since everybody uses Bobs there must be nothing rong with them for the price.

thanks

Nick