current/voltage question

In HT mode my system has as many 8 components running at the same time. I have an APC 15 power conditioner. Sometimes the yellow light will appear indicating that the conditioner is "adding"??current or voltage. About 40% of the time with everything running.Is this a cause for concern?? If so how should I address the issue?? obviously my technical knowledge is lacking in this area- thanks in advance

voltage regulators with flickering lights aren't very informative..........you don't know if it's adding voltage becuase of low input voltage or if it is adding voltage becuase of a voltage drop associated with your load.

get someone that is electical savy to check the inbound voltage for you while the light flickering occurs.

the APC15 is rated at 1440 watts which is far less than the outlet rating of a standard wall outlet....check the power consumption of all your devices...add them together and the total shoild not exceed 1440 watts while no single device times 3 should not exceed 1440 watts (power on surge).

1800 watts typically about max for a wall outlet (120v x15amp). I would imagine when you have alot of stuff going the voltage difference between input and output of the conditioner is different enough to cause the conditioner to "help" a little. I wouldn't worry about it. The fix would be to remove some of the load. You could divide equipment between 2 circuits while adding a second conditioner.

I think you need to read (or re-read) the manual, and then go over to the unit itself and check to see what it's actually doing...

The APC can either boost or trim the voltage (it has separate indicator lights for each condition), within a range, based on 1 of 3 different settings: "Wide", "Normal" or "Narrow". It can show the "Voltage In (Vin) versus Voltage Out (Vout)" and will also show you how much of a load, in amps, is being drawn by your connected components.

If your APC is truly adding voltage 40% of the time, that means your incoming voltage (from the wall socket) is low. But that correction is based on and would vary, according to whether you have it set to the "Wide", "Normal" or "Narrow" range. If you have it set to the "Narrow" range, then change it
to "Normal" or "Wide" and see if it's still trying to correct the
incoming voltage.

If you already have it set to "Wide" (which allows the incoming wall voltage to fluctuate the most before the APC tries to correct it) and it's still trying to correct the voltage, then your wall voltage may be very low at times.

You'll then have to look at the "Voltage In" reading and determine if it warrants a call to the local power company or an electrician. And/or you'd have to call APC and ask them if having the unit be in "correction mode" 40% of the time is worth worrying about.

I've got an H10 and an H15, the h15 carrys the heavy hitters, my sub svs PB 13 Ultra, my pre-amp Aragon stage one, the amp aragon 200 watts x 5ch and my new oppo bdp 83. The H10 takes the rest , the tv, xbox, cd player and others. The only time mine ever lights up to boost the line is when the washer and dryer are going. I would gather that you have low line voltage comming in. I would check the Voltage In and Voltage Out aswell as the amount of amps you are pulling as GPBUSA said and then contact your power company if you're not getting 120V in.

The other thing I would look at, is are you sure you are only using that circuit where you think you are? Is there another outlet wired to that circuit, that you may or may not be aware of.

Nothing else is on this circuit--dont want to use a 2nd plug due to past ground loop issues. now suspect crummy current form power company. unit set on wide. great feedback- this info has hepled more that you can imagine. thanks to everyone. once again the forum comes through. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really -really appreciate it. This gives me ammo to talk in reasonable terms to get this fixed.

This gives me ammo to talk in reasonable terms to get this fixed.

Reasonable? Hmm... said by the man that went from Bose cubes to all Heritage 23.5 in less than 15 days and she's going to think you're reasonable? [^o)]