How is the Klipsch Cornwall III sound ?

madsopp

Hey,

Iam from Norway and have been a Klipsch fan for quite some time :). Previous owner of RF-5 , and RF-83. I have just sold my RF 83 and ordered a pair of Cornwall III .

Was wondering how these are sounding compared to RF-83, and if my gear is a good match ? . My electronics is : Primare pre 30 ( Sweedish pre'amp ). Mcintosh MC 275 IV power amp, and an Electrocompaniet PC-1 cd player. ( Norwegian company ).

I really like to listen to acoustic guitar music, like Eric clapton , Jack johnson . And metal like Metallica, Maiden, ACDC . Also some techno.

What I missed with my RF 83 was the midrange bass. It went really deep and the sound was clear and all that, but on music like ACDC I felt they where lacking some "punch" on the guitar riffs. This is what I hope I will get with the Cornwall's.

Hope to get any input on this cause I have newer heard the Cornwall's. I have heard the Lascala's 2 though on mcintosh gear, and really loved the sound. Although they where lacking abit in the lower bass. Iam not into using a subwoofer in 2 channel stereo so that is why I went for the Cornwall.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are in for a real treat my hardrocking Norse friend. CW III is a huge upgrade in clarity from earlier versions. Compared to RF series you'll probably hear guitars and those metal vocals pretty up front but with lots of very very solid low end. Around here we call that 'punch' the Cornwall SLAM Factor and many Forum members swear by Cornwalls for this reason. Hence names like Terry IB Slamming! LOL

I'm not a tube guy but the CW's seem to work well with about anything and in nearly any room configuration. They should love your Mac gear. Try to keep the sound from bouncing off the side walls by pulling the CW's in a bit and angleing them in towards your listening area.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Michael

• Moderators

I really like to listen to acoustic guitar music, like Eric clapton , Jack johnson . And metal like Metallica, Maiden, ACDC . Also some techno

They will be perfect for what you like to listen to, I don't know about your electronics because I never heard them but the Cornwall lll's are not particular and your equipment should be really nice on the Cornwall's.

I have heard the Lascala's 2 though on mcintosh gear, and really loved the sound. Although they where lacking abit in the lower bass.

You made a good choice, they will sound very different from the RF 83's.

The Cornwall lll's will have plenty of bass and mid bass, on some music I actually turn down the bass a Little on them if playing a little loud.

EDIT...See how slow I type Michael had not posted when I started typing !

Sounds like you are in for a treat, like Michael said... You are going to be really happy with the purcahse... [H]

So what finished did you get them in? You know that we need pictures when everything is up and running...

I hope this will be the last speakers I buy.

If that's the case turn and run now.... You didn't say anything about purchasing more Cornwall III, which you might end up doing.

James

BTW, I have a pair of Cornwall I hooked up to Mac C-28 and MC-2105 and they sound great......

Hey again,

I ordered Cherry finnish. There is no Cornwall's in Europe atm so the order goes directly to Klipsch. So this can take some time :\ . I hope I get them sometime in the summer. I did also say that if some other finnishes shows up faster I would consider that to. Cause all 3 original finnishes will fit in my living room.

This is a picture of how my setup was 1 month ago with My RF-83. Just for fun :) Have also changed my CRT with a samsung LCD.

8e82d3d028ce2318a30067c5f31f3eb0.JPG

• Moderators

Looking at that room ( looks great ) the Cornwalls are going to be unbelievable with that layout !

Might have to slide everything down to get that right Cornwall in there, nice looking room . [H]

That wall will be full. [:P]

:)

Yeh I will remove the subwoofer so there should be enough place, not a problem to move everything abit to the left either :)

I got an RC 62 inside that TV rack also and 2x Klipsch RSX 3 in the back. Thats why the Marantz surround receiver is there. My preamp has a "prossessor" input. Don't know if that is the right name of it, but basicly it meens I Use the Primare wich is a dedicated stereo pre amp as the pre amp in stereo. And The Marantz surround receiver is the preamp when I run in surround. Stereo 2 channel is my first priority though ;)

Welcome to the forum, nice room, I like you just got my first Cornwalls this last weekend. They are the Cornwall 1s so I don't know comparison but I still like a lot, only thing is the tweeters are out of them until I come up with the cash to get new diaphragms from Bob Crites. Hope you enjoy. I know I will

Nick

I know you've carefully noted the dimensions, but you are not prepared for how large those speakers will be in your room. Get accustomed to the size since they will be following you around for a lifetime. (My Klipschorns have faithfully followed me around for over 25 years)

Heh,

Yeh I know they are big, but that is not a problem for me. ( My Gf may say something ;) . But I plan on building a house in a few years and I will have a big room in the bacement where I can put my speakers. Surround and stereo setup :) . I have yet to read anything negative with these speakers, so Iam quite sure I wont be disapointed.

And no, Iam not a techno viking :) haha. Movie is hillarious though.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on a report and photos of JWC's pair of Gargantua Godzilla Horns™ that dtel's wife got for him at that Biloxi auction...complete with little people like ants fleeing from the Transducers That Ate New York..

I know you've carefully noted the dimensions, but you are not prepared for how large those speakers will be in your room. Get accustomed to the size since they will be following you around for a lifetime. (My Klipschorns have faithfully followed me around for over 25 years)

I could agree with this I keep going over the demensions, and looking at them in the living room. Everytime it still amazes me how big they are. Really listen to what hes saying about this these things are huge, compared to everyday usage speakers.