How is the Klipsch Cornwall III sound ?

madsopp

• Moderators

what, pray tell, are "everyday usage speakers"

Cornwalls were my first Klispch speakers and when I'm old and feeble and poor they will be the last things in the house with me before they cart me off.

Well maby those and one pair of your industrial LaScalas, I know you love those also.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Really listen to what hes saying about this these things are huge, compared to everyday usage speakers.

What is my everyday usage speakers are huge ? [;)]

We need to come up with a standard..................this should take a while ! [8-)]

Madsopp, we are just playing around on your thread, you have plenty of time before your speakers are built and shipped halfway around the world.....sorry....but it will be worth the wait, see another day passed already ! [:$]

Yeh,

I am prepeared for a long wait. :) . The more I read about these speakers, the more it looks like the perfect choice for me.

Now what is a big speaker? My previous speakers RF-83 where both taller and deeper then the cornwall's . But ofcourse around 3-4 times smaller in width. But there is another factor coming in here. The RF-83 had to be moved out from the wall abit also, wich made my living room smaller. This will not be the same issue with the Cornwall's I belive. I can probably push my whole stereo + tv rack more in towards the wall since the speakers isn't that deep, and doesn't have to stand many feet's from the wall.

I belive the Cornwall's will be easier to integrate in the living room vs the RF-83 ;).

• Moderators

I belive the Cornwall's will be easier to integrate in the living room vs the RF-83 ;).

I would think so also, they are built like fine furniture. I think it will look nice in your room because it would kind of balance the wall off instead of a big TV and stand in the center with skinny speakers the bigger speakers on the outside will look nice. Just a guess ? Also easier sound wise.

Hey I just remembered, want to see how the Cornwall lll's are built by hand in Hope AR...click " small pic's"

http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/dtel.htm

• Moderators

Is that walnut plywood, or just a veneer. Also how long have they been mounting the speakers from the outside. Man theres so much to catch up on.

Walnut veneer, I would guess and I have know idea about the front mounted speakers, Michael would know the history. I would guess when they made the back sealed is when it was changed the drivers to be mounted from the outside, whenever that was ?

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I will be recieving my pair of cwIII'c and want to order glass tops for them. What are the width and depth measurements that I need for the glass to be cut to? Also they will have rounded edge

The specifications on the Klipsch website lists the Cornwall IIIs top dimensions as 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm). Personally, I would wait until you have them in your possession, and measure for yourself, just to be sure.

• Moderators

I should have said, do the grills stick out. But yes, I am going to wait till I pick them up from the dealer and measure them myself. But most pics I 've seen It dosen't look like the grill sticks out

Just went and checked, they stick out about 1/8" , probably about the thickness of the grill cloth ?

This pic is an optical illusion, you can't see the 3/4" thickness of the wood, the grain is disguising it ?

post-11804-13819498886952_thumb.jpg

CW II changed the speakers mounting to the front of the motorboard. The cabinets were CNC cut MDF, perhaps a manufacturing efficiency item, perhaps to make the cabinet much stiffer by making tighter joints including permanently mounted rear panel. The motor boards were still the birch plywood in order to accept the wood screws that Klipsch uses to attach the drivers.

I'd wait to measure. Iget 1/4" glass doesn't have to be tempered. Have them put slight radius on the corners ( just to knock down the sharpness) and sand or polish the edges. MAKE SURE to get 'desk tabs', these are the clear, hard plastic nickel sized discs that you will use to separate the glass from the wood veneer. I use three each front and back edge on my CW's. You can still put really heavy stuff on top if you wish.

When cleaning glass, I make absolutely certain that the bottom side is completely dried of any windex or chemical before installing them on my speakers. I have two sets of CW and one set of LS for the speakers that are permanent to the House of Klipsch collection.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

They can't play as low as a sub but there should be plenty of bass from the Clll's. Try running without the sub so you can get use to the sound. Also if they are new give them a little time to stretch there legs.

In the range that the Cornwall covers 34 hz and up there is plenty of bass, the sub should only be heard below that to blend in properly and never to overpower anything, just to fill where the Clll left off.

About the bi-wiring thing I don't do it, personally think it's way to much trouble for very little gain if any at all.

Explain what you did to call it Bi-wire, there are many opinions on how to do this.